Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Anyone catch LOTR:TTT yet?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/20/2002 : 07:45:00 AM
I managed to see it yesterday afternoon, and your first initial response will probably be along the lines of, "Jesus Christ that was a long movie." It does clock in around 3 hours, not to mention the 30 segment of previews. But overall, it was a good movie. I found the first one much more entertaining though, but it’s hard to compete against the war scene in the end. I did drift off on a few scenes though. I give it a 7/10. Me and my buds agreed, though a good movie, we wouldn’t sit through it again in theaters. What did you think?
57   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tericee Posted - 04/14/2003 : 12:29:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by pcbTIM

But then you'd have to pay for the 2 liter Coke. Damn. Can't win.

LOL
pcbTIM Posted - 04/13/2003 : 11:19:22 PM
Damn stupid Harry Potter book! I've been waiting three years for it. Unbelievable. D'oh well, I'll probably read it in about 24 hours anyway (at the rate I inhale books ). And I'd suggest downloading the movie from Kazaa, since the price is well......free. But then you'd have to pay for the 2 liter Coke. Damn. Can't win.
tericee Posted - 04/13/2003 : 10:14:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by victorwootenfan

i've read all the lord of rings and the harry potter books, they're soo good! i can't wait until the next harry potter book and movie!

June 21!!! (Pre-order at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/043935806X/ref=ilm_rc_429978/103-6647911-7599039)

Also, if you're planning to buy the Chamber of Secrets DVD, I recommend Target, where it is only $14.99 + you get a free 2-liter of Coke. (Not sure how long this lasts, since it's $17.89 at Target.com)
Fluffy Posted - 01/07/2003 : 2:16:54 PM
I must admit, that my courage was pride induced. Over the holidays Mags sister, Nancy, was in town with her son, Tyler. Tyler produced the offending jellybeans and Nancy started tasting them. She would say, they really taste like whatever, try it! Not to be shown up by a woman, I tried them. Keep in mind, I would only try them AFTER Nancy had tried them. She would bite them in half and give me the leftover half. Thank god we didn't get to the vomit one, I really wasn't looking forward to that. Anyway, I guess you could say, a girl made me do it. HEHE
PJK Posted - 01/06/2003 : 10:19:45 PM
How could you all get up the nerve to try any of those flavors??? You know dogs eat grass to make themselves vomit. Some of those flavors are so disgusting all I can say is someone, somewhere, must really be laughing all the way to the bank!
tericee Posted - 01/06/2003 : 10:12:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

I can't imagine a TIMe when I would be sitting around craving grass, but it is nice to know if it happens, there is an outlet. HEHE

Just read Stephen King's "Lawnmower Man" when you feel like eating grass...
Fluffy Posted - 01/03/2003 : 8:36:58 PM
FLUFFY, LAY OFF THE GRASS(flavored jellybeans)!!!!
Fluffy Posted - 01/03/2003 : 8:35:50 PM
I don't think it's IMPOSSIBLE, just very UNLIKELY. HEHE

As for the grass(flavored jellybean), I kinda enjoyed that one a little myself. I can't imagine a TIMe when I would be sitting around craving grass(flavored anything), but it is nice to know if it happens, there is an outlet. HEHE
tericee Posted - 01/03/2003 : 4:07:15 PM
Fluffy I kind of liked the grass-flavored bean. I'm a wierdo, I guess.

HTG, I hope you have learned your lesson to NEVER read the book before seeing the movie. It will always disappoint because it's impossible to be exactly the same.
Fluffy Posted - 01/03/2003 : 02:29:25 AM
I finally got to taste the vile flavors over the holidays. I was not brave enuf to try the vomit so I will never know it it tastes like MY vomit, but the ones I tried were truly horrendous but very accurate. Grass for instance, and the rotten fish one. Oh yes, and the dirt one. YUCK!!!
Jamie M Posted - 12/31/2002 : 01:44:02 AM
Heh, me and my friend were doing the same thing... Glancing at each other with confused looks, wondering if we'd just forgotten how the story really went.
pcbTIM Posted - 12/30/2002 : 11:38:23 PM
I just saw it yesterday. Very good. Too bad we all have to wait another year for the last one to come out. And I read the second book right after seeing the first movie (and after reading the first book, of course).......and throughout the movie I kept leaning over to my dad asking him "Did thid happen in the book?" Haha. I've essentially forgotten everything that happened in The Two Towers.
rhymsesthecat Posted - 12/30/2002 : 4:10:44 PM
no problem
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/30/2002 : 03:47:03 AM
Ah yes, thank you.
rhymsesthecat Posted - 12/29/2002 : 9:12:32 PM
Old Man Willow is a tree, similar to the ents in the way that he can move-he grabs one of the hobbits in the old forest and toms gets him to let go

Sting is Bilbos old sword he got from the trolls cave in The Hobbit-it glows blue when orcs/goblins are near-he gives it to Frodo in the Fellowship
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/29/2002 : 8:01:15 PM
Someone answer this LOTR's question. In the book, who is 'Old man Willow?' or something along those lines. And I was a little fuzzy on the hobbit sword, "sting," now in possesion by Froldo. Its magical right?
victorwootenfan Posted - 12/29/2002 : 7:37:16 PM
I agree! Tom the bomb is awesome! he would've been really hard to add in the movie though, it would put another 30 minutes into it probably, and it kinda makes sense to cut him out.
rhymsesthecat Posted - 12/29/2002 : 1:50:07 PM
no matter how you look at it the books were better
they usually are
i liked Tom Bobadil and he wasn't in the movies at all

Jamie M Posted - 12/28/2002 : 8:28:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tericee

Gandalf refusing to touch the ring is not part of the Tolkien's story. No clue why Peter Jackson chose to include this. It's interesting though.

There is a small part of this in the book, just not as exaggerated. Frodo offers it to him, but he refuses, saying not to tempt him.
tericee Posted - 12/27/2002 : 4:16:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by {=HTG=}

Were the changes off the wall, or just minor?

Two differences from the first movie:

A character called Glorfindel (didn't make the movie), rather than Arwen (Liv Tyler), saves Frodo's life in the flight from the Black Riders. This was probably to save people from having to keep track of too many characters, while expanding the role of Arwen, which was one of Peter Jackson's stated goals.

Gandalf refusing to touch the ring is not part of the Tolkien's story. No clue why Peter Jackson chose to include this. It's interesting though.

pcbTIM Posted - 12/26/2002 : 7:40:26 PM
Haha. Too late. But I'll try to download the Two Towers when I go back to school, and if I get Zoolander again, then I'll watch it.
Jamie M Posted - 12/26/2002 : 7:23:33 PM
Don't stress over it, it's not amazing. But if you like Ben Stiller or Will Ferrel, you will probably be entertained. Don't go too out of your way to see it though, I don't want to be responsible if you hate it.
pcbTIM Posted - 12/26/2002 : 01:32:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie M

Hey pcb, Zoolander is a hilarious(but dumb) movie, watch it.

Damn. I already erased it. I had very limited space left on my HD, and no blank CDs left. Maybe when I go back to school I'll check it out.
Jamie M Posted - 12/26/2002 : 12:06:22 AM
Right you are... That Erkenbrand guy had me confused, I was remembering him as an elf I guess.
Fluffy Posted - 12/23/2002 : 10:37:30 PM
Evergreen said:
quote:
Little did I know the jelly beans were actually flavored as they were. Before reading the little card as to the bean flavors my sister and I both grabbed one out of the bag thinking they were tutti frutti or buttered popcorn and the first one we both grabbed was vomit.
As I contemplate the vile flavors, it occurs to me, how do THEY know what vomit tastes like? Of course they know what THEIR vomit, boogers, etc etc etc taste like, but how do they know that everyones tastes the same? Have they been out in the field doing research tasting everyones vomit? Can I assume that if I taste the vomit jelly bean it will taste exactly like my vomit tastes, or does it just taste gross? I really wonder about stuff like this. I must get a life.

Reminder to self:GET A LIFE!!
dan p. Posted - 12/23/2002 : 10:21:25 PM
the only elf at helms deep was legolas. there was one dwarf (gimli) and one maia (gandalf).the rest were men. no one from lorien or rivendell came.
Jamie M Posted - 12/23/2002 : 6:31:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rhymsesthecat

The most horrible change was putting elfs at Helm's Deep. That was a huge mistake, elves never got involved in the books because they were leaving for the havens. In the books the war is for the me and few others. The elves had fought many previous wars on middle earth and this one was not theirs.

I read it four years ago so I could easily be wrong, but isn't it an elven army that shows up at dawn, with that Prince...?

Hey pcb, Zoolander is a hilarious(but dumb) movie, watch it.
victorwootenfan Posted - 12/23/2002 : 10:51:42 AM
one of my friends was argueing a little bit of the movie, about how there is a huge emphasis on the battle of helm's deep, and in the book there really isn't. I still love the Ents battle at then end, what cool trees!
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/22/2002 : 9:48:08 PM
Yep, that explains it.
rhymsesthecat Posted - 12/22/2002 : 9:35:32 PM
well i was at the mall seeing the movie and made a brief stop in the mac store
pcbTIM Posted - 12/22/2002 : 8:54:02 PM
I downloaded it a few days ago.....but it turns out that someone just "renamed" the file name. It turned out to be that crappy Ben Stiller movie where he's a male model. As for the actual movie, I'm gonna wait until I see my dad in San Fransisco after Christmas to see it. He's an enormous fan.
dan p. Posted - 12/22/2002 : 3:06:46 PM
::boners for ttt:: i was hoping mithrandir would kick more ass and faramir wasn't a motherfucker.
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/22/2002 : 12:49:51 PM
How?
rhymsesthecat Posted - 12/22/2002 : 12:36:54 PM
im at the movie right now
hahaha this is great
rhymsesthecat Posted - 12/22/2002 : 09:04:28 AM
...but dont get me wrong the movie was still very good and worth going to see again
rhymsesthecat Posted - 12/22/2002 : 09:01:44 AM
The most horrible change was putting elfs at Helm's Deep. That was a huge mistake, elves never got involved in the books because they were leaving for the havens. In the books the war is for the me and few others. The elves had fought many previous wars on middle earth and this one was not theirs.
Jamie M Posted - 12/21/2002 : 11:49:50 PM
It revolves around Frodo's uncle, Bilbo, the one who gave him the ring. It's a good book, alot simpler than LOTR though. Good way of deciding whether or not you think you will like all 1200 pages of LOTR, or whatever it is.
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/21/2002 : 10:35:44 PM
Time for a quick Flaming Moe.
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/21/2002 : 10:34:35 PM
quote:
Heh, I'll admit, Fellowship is a really slow start, that first chapter is brutal. You really have to start with the Hobbit, it would not be worth struggling through those first pages, unless you had a golid solid introduction.

'The Hoobit,' who does that story revolve around?
Jamie M Posted - 12/21/2002 : 10:29:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by HispanicTeenGuitarist

All right, thanks. I think i'll try and get into the books, but I read a few pages of my friends then passed out.

Heh, I'll admit, Fellowship is a really slow start, that first chapter is brutal. You really have to start with the Hobbit, it would not be worth struggling through those first pages, unless you had a golid solid introduction.
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/21/2002 : 10:23:53 PM
All right, thanks. I think i'll try and get into the books, but I read a few pages of my friends then passed out.
Jamie M Posted - 12/21/2002 : 10:08:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by HispanicTeenGuitarist

Such as??? I'm intrested to hear 'em.

Allow me..
Don't read if you think it'll ruin the book/movie for you or something like that:

Probably the biggest change is how Faramir takes Frodo and Sam captive back to Osgiliath. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN. In the book, Faramir is smart and realizes that Frodo has to be let go so that he can continue on his mission.
Another thing..I haven't looked this up, but I'm pretty sure..All those women and children of Rohan, I'm pretty sure remain at Edhoras, and do NOT go to Helm's Deep for the battle. It annoys me how much they exaggerated what a disastrous situation it was that they were being moved from their homes.
Another small, but significant detail, is that Eomer is with the King all along, goes with him to Helm's Deep. When Gandalf shows up at dawn with the army, it is not Eomer's army in the book, it is the elven army that gets there early in the movie. I don't understand this switch at all, except for benefit of the fight scene I guess.
And another thing is how Aragorn falls off that cliff..I don't know what the hell that is. Actually that whole little fight doesn't even happen in the book.

And I'm sure there's other stuff, but that's all I can remember now.
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/21/2002 : 9:34:53 PM
Such as??? I'm intrested to hear 'em.
rhymsesthecat Posted - 12/21/2002 : 9:18:08 PM
they were off the wall crazy obnoxious changes they in no way should have been included in the movie

chris is cool
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/21/2002 : 9:00:05 PM
quote:
it was a great movie
but being such a huge Tolkien fan i found too much at fault with Peter Jackson not holding true to the books

Where the changes off the wall, or just minor?
victorwootenfan Posted - 12/21/2002 : 5:48:48 PM
i've read all the lord of rings and the harry potter books, they're soo good! i can't wait until the next harry potter book and movie!
rhymsesthecat Posted - 12/21/2002 : 4:24:52 PM
Gollom-Smeagol was awesome
he was by far the best character
rhymsesthecat Posted - 12/21/2002 : 4:23:39 PM
it was a great movie
but being such a huge Tolkien fan i found too much at fault with Peter Jackson not holding true to the books
Jamie M Posted - 12/21/2002 : 4:12:33 PM
I'm guessing you who have seen it, have not read the books, because no one has commented on how much they changed the story... The movie was great, not too long at all. But they changed stuff around so unnecessarily. In that aspect, I am REALLY disappointed with the movie, they have no right to change the plot just to contribute to the moral value of the book! After having seen how accurate Fellowship was, this was a pretty big shock...So unnecessary.
Evergreen Posted - 12/21/2002 : 09:12:58 AM
I can't wait to see it! The first one was great! The Hobbit and the trilogy are one of my all TIMe favorite books. I was really impressed to see how well Fellowship was done. Hopefully I'll be a little less busy soon so I can actually catch it on the big screen.
Smeagol!

I'm in the middle of the fourth Harry Potter book right now. It started out as me reading the first Harry Potter with my niece so we could book review/discuss it together and I became quickly addicted.
They are excellent books. If you want to have some fun with kids or maybe at a party get a bag of Bernie Botz Beans. They sell them at Borders, and probably kids toy stores. They are jelly belly's but the fun part is the flavors. Vomit, ear wax, sardines, dirt, booger, and many others that will surely make people with the strongest stomachs retch! They were one of Kelsey, my nieces, birthday presents. I thought the bag was cute and she loves HP stuff. Little did I know the jelly beans were actually flavored as they were. Before reading the little card as to the bean flavors my sister and I both grabbed one out of the bag thinking they were tutti frutti or buttered popcorn and the first one we both grabbed was vomit. We each bit down once and were running for the trash to spit it out. Jelly belly has a way with very accurate flavors. Granted most of them were wasted and spit out because they were so gross but it was fun watching the kids try them. As for my sister and I we only dared try one other, the dirt flavor which also tasted exactly like a mouthful of dirt.
What fun we children have!
TalkingNeurons Posted - 12/21/2002 : 01:27:10 AM
I thought it was great.

The dwarf is the best character.
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/20/2002 : 11:03:07 PM
I really liked the Dwarf, and the score keeping during the battle was funny. Though the real comic relief were some college kids behind us. I laughed so hard at one of there Gollum impressions
KevinLesko Posted - 12/20/2002 : 10:04:11 PM
Yes indeed, I have! Myself, my roomate Steve, my roomate Tony, his girlfriend, and an old co-worker of mine from Blockbuster went to a LATE showing last night. Overall I was certainly impressed. The film is just visually spectacular, not to mention that the Helm's Deep battle scene as well as the events leading to it's climax are amung the best I've ever watched. At the end though, Steve asked me If I liked it better than the first one, and I didnt think so... mainly because I didnt watch the 1st one until it came out on DVD and I only watched it(thinking I wouldnt like it) because it seemed like one of those movies that you have to see, no matter what. After watching, of course I was completely blown away and actually bought it (though not the extended one yet). Going into this one, I was expecting the spectacularness so I think that took away a bit.

One aspect I didnt really care for was all the comedic releif in TT, especially from the Dwarf, who didnt have those comedic tendancies in the first film, also it seemed to take away from the importance of the war to have him and Legless keeping track of their kills to each other in a joking way. Over all though, I was definately entertained. Definately go see it.

PS when we got out of the theatres at 2:30am, we got killed by a suddon downpour coming from the latest of all these storms that have been pounding SO CAL!
smgallstars Posted - 12/20/2002 : 8:38:46 PM

I JUST finished DOWNLOADING and BURNING "LOTR:TTT" SVCD!!!
I'm geeked, I just finished hooking up my brand-new DVD player, too.

Later,
Jason Drewes
coldengrey
victorwootenfan Posted - 12/20/2002 : 4:00:43 PM
i really liked the movie. especially the part when gollum and smeagol(his alter ego) get in an arguement, just hilarious!! then gimli was very funny too, when he was too short to look over the wall. i loved the movie and i can't wait for the 3d one to come out. battle scenes were nice too!
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/20/2002 : 11:49:30 AM
Yes, I've seen Two Towers. I thought it was great. I highly recommend it to everyone. I'll probably see it a couple more times since I had to watch it in the SHITTY Oxford theater... Want to see it on the big screen.

Gollum.

I also thought the Harry Potter movie was entertaining. And it moved very fast for being so long.

Both of these are worth watching.
Fluffy Posted - 12/20/2002 : 07:52:30 AM
I saw the first showing in a sleepy little TX town close to where we were vacationing. I thought it was wonderful. I keep telling everyone you have to see it on the big screen just for the battle scenes. AMAZING!! It is long, but I found it quite entertaining all the way thru. Golem(sp?) was amazing. 9 outta 10 for me. Keep in mind, I haven't read the books, so I don't know whats going to happen. I also saw the second Harry Potter flick and was quite entertained by that as well. Just so ya know.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000