Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 New Car.....to me

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 12/17/2002 : 10:34:03 PM
I'm looking for a good used car. The car I had finally fuckin' died beyond repair, and I am now searching for a new used car.

I would like not to get screwed too badly when i purchase another car, so anyone input on what models and brands to look at, and what you've had good experience with would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam
34   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 01/22/2003 : 10:17:18 PM
It's really nice. It's a Z34 so it has more power than a standard Monte Carlo. But it also eats gas...and that gas happens to be Amoco Ultimate 92 Fucking Expensive Octane. I'm really happy with my purchase though. And my bro in law is putting 3000, so I won't have to pay so much tax. I hate the fucking government.

Thanks for the follow up

Adam
PJK Posted - 01/22/2003 : 12:04:50 AM
So Adam, how's the car?
PJK Posted - 01/09/2003 : 9:40:07 PM
18% Damn Adam that really sucks! That's not right at all, interest rates are at their lowest in years...as low as 3 1/2% on certain loans. Mortgage rates are around 5%. Same with homeeqity loans.

You are screwed because of lack of collateral (property) and because you don't have established credit. Seems credit card companies don't always consider people who pay off their balance each month as having established credit. So even if you had credit cards and paid them off each month you'd still be screwed! I absolutely loath dealing with banks for loans!

Anyway it is so good to hear you will have the car next week. See if your brother in law will say you paid less for the car, like 1500 or something so you don't have to pay tax on the whole 6000. Most everyone does that when they sell a used car privately. Why should the govn't benefit from it????

Enjoy your car!!!
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 01/09/2003 : 8:51:30 PM
Yeah, my bank was going to charge me 18% interest on a 6000 loan over 36 months. It would have cost me like 215 a month. Which is what I was told that 98 sentra would have cost me at a REASONABLE rate, which I then realized I couldn't have gotten on that car anyway. That 18% also included discounts because I had accounts at the bank, was willing to pay direct debit from checking, etc... and it was still 18%!!!! I hate Wells Fargo.

I have always paid cash for things. The car that died on me I paid like 5000 cash for about 4 years ago, all my instruments have been paid for with cash. I have no credit cards, there for I have no credit debt. And I get fucked in the ass for it!! You get SCREWED for being honest and always paying with cash. It's a fucked up world my friends.

Anyway, my parents paid Rick, my bro in law, the 6000 tonight. So I hope to be driving the car by next Tuesday or so, after getting the title and lisence taken care of.

Adam
therippa Posted - 01/09/2003 : 2:02:25 PM
Buy 3 Datsun 240z's
PJK Posted - 01/09/2003 : 07:23:31 AM
Ah the world of finance! That is why I won't allow myself to get into credit card debt....the interest is mind blowing! They set people up to stay in debt. I would take the loan from your parents. Everyone has had help from their parents. I have my house because my parents loaned me some $ for the down payment which I did pay back, quicker than they asked, but without it I could never have afforded the house. I really hated to borrow money from then but I am glad now that I did.

Enjoy your car!
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 01/08/2003 : 10:10:50 PM
I'm actually planning on buying my bro-in-law's car. He wanted 8000 for it, and I offered 5000, so we settled on 6000. Which, 6000 is not bad considering that in the ad that I copied those pics from, the guy was asking 15,000.

I am still in the process of obtaining the 6000 bucks though. Easier said than done. My bank is a bitch, and other things have fallen through. My parents are offering to "loan" me 6000 dollars and let me pay them back over the course of 3 years. Which works out to about 166 bucks a month.

I HATE, absolutely HATE the idea of being indebted to my parents like this, but otherwise I will be getting rides for the rest of my life. Besides, my other car dying came at the most inopportune time, both time wise and finance wise, so this is the smartest thing for me financially. And my parents know I am good for it. I've borrowed money from them before, and ALWAYS paid it back in a timely fashion.

And after finding out how deep in the ass I would have gotten FUCKED by my bank for 6000 bucks, I'd hate to see what I'd have to do to get 9 or 10 grand in a loan...probably promise the fucking bank my damn first born....or a limb or two.

Anyway, 6 G's to my bro-in-law for a car I know is in great shape and has been taken great care of is a great deal in my opinion.

I'll let ya'll know when I am actually behind the wheel of the car.

Adam
PJK Posted - 01/08/2003 : 06:43:43 AM
Hahahahaha....that was just too easy! I knew I would hit a sore spot with you on that reply. Sorry, I just couldn't resist!
Fluffy Posted - 01/08/2003 : 01:02:10 AM
In case you missed it, you should check out my other thread:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2840

j/k
PJK Posted - 01/08/2003 : 12:02:09 AM
Sure he could, he could use the computer attachment to his cell phone!all while he's driving at top speed!HEHEHE.....only kidding
Fluffy Posted - 01/07/2003 : 11:54:53 PM
Sorry, he can't answer now, he's out driving!!!
PJK Posted - 01/07/2003 : 11:49:38 PM
Adam, any word on a new car yet? It is worth not rushing into especially with a used car. Can't wait to hear what you finally get.
pcbTIM Posted - 12/26/2002 : 12:52:21 AM
Sorry. No input here. I know as much about a car as a monkey does.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 12/24/2002 : 9:27:43 PM
Does ANYONE have any input on this situation, the car...anythign??? I'm test driving it tomorrow before dinner, so I may have bought it before I hear anything from the level headed crew here at TR.com.

Adam
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/24/2002 : 1:28:13 PM
Flaming Moe anyone?
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 12/23/2002 : 11:52:09 PM
I'm going to bump this to the top before i get to bed, perhaps ill get a little more feedback...

Adam
PJK Posted - 12/23/2002 : 10:23:15 PM
Wow....Hope you're getting your brother-in-laws! Sweet!!!!!!
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 12/23/2002 : 9:45:37 PM
Well, here is the deal....

My brother in law has one of 400 Brickyard 400 Pace Car replicas made in 1995. It is a 1995 Monte Carlo, pictured here:

The guy who's ad I stole that pic from is selling his for 15,000. My bro-in-law wants only 5000. He recently bought a new truck, and hardly drives this car, and needs the money for other things. He has tried to sell it and there isn't really a market for this car in the immediate area obviously, because he has had little or no interest. He has said that he would like to keep the car "in the family" and sell it to me. He actually asked me for 7000, but I am offering him 5000 which my sister thinks he will accept.

He has been extremely good to this car. He is so anal about it that he actually cleaned the wheels and shit with a toothbrush!! He has offered to change my oil every 3000 miles/3 months, and wash and wax it for me as often as needed. How can i go wrong? He has basically offered to be my personal mechanic.

Instinctively, it's a sweet looking ride, albeit a tad old. Only 2 years newer than my 1993 Grand Am that died on me. Unlike my Grand Am, I know this car's history. Rick, my bro-in-law is extremely careful with it, and has taken immaculate care of the vehicle. As far as it being a good looking car, yes, it does attract a lot of attention from people, as Rick as said, but that is kind of cool.

But beyond the looks of the car, it sounds like a great deal for me. I was looking at a 1998 Nissan Sentra for around 9000 dollars, which would cost me around 220 a month. A 5000 loan for this car would be around 90 a month. My insurance would probably go up with this car, but not so much that it would be MORE expensive than 220 a month. Financially, it sounds like the right choice for me. And I can't stress enough how at ease it makes me feel to know that the car is a good car and has been taken good care of.

Any thoughts on this? Please let me know.

A few more pics of it:

Adam
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 12/22/2002 : 03:28:35 AM
Yeah, I went shopping for cars with a friend this saturday. i found a few possibilites. A few Accords, and a few Nissans. I have two or three people swearing by Nissan. I know for one that the service department in the local Nissan dealer is fucking awesome. Both my parents have Nissans also and swear by them and the service department.

I found a Cavalier (SP?) Z24...anyone have any thoughts on this car?

Adam
KevinLesko Posted - 12/20/2002 : 11:09:30 PM
7000 eh? I'll sell you my car for 7000 take i or leave it!
PJK Posted - 12/20/2002 : 06:55:14 AM
TTT yeah, I'd like to know too!
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/19/2002 : 11:24:39 AM
Ok, Mr. Adam, what's the verdict? Have you narrowed it down at all? I'd like to hear how things go...
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/18/2002 : 07:05:22 AM
Or pimping, but then again you could only fit a few hoes.
PJK Posted - 12/18/2002 : 06:52:15 AM
Yeah...perfect for bebopping around!
Fluffy Posted - 12/18/2002 : 06:43:51 AM
New favorite car I wish I had......

I used to love these cars way back when I was in high school and then they slowly slipped out of my mind. The last TIMe we were in LA on tour I saw them at a rental car place on Sunset Blvd and fell in love with them all over again.
PJK Posted - 12/18/2002 : 06:19:52 AM
ok....not as ugly as I thought...a bit too boxy though.
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/18/2002 : 06:18:16 AM
http://www.hondacars.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=Element

There's a quick link right to a pick.
PJK Posted - 12/18/2002 : 06:17:08 AM
No, I will have to keep my eye open for them.....road trip again on Friday so maybe I will see one then.
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/18/2002 : 06:12:19 AM
Not to veer to far from the topic, but have you guys seen those new Honda 'Element?' Jesus those things are ugly.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/17/2002 : 11:57:48 PM
Yeah with 7k you should be able to find whatever you want. It really depends on what you like. A used VW (jetta, pasat) would probably be nice. Same with Camry/Accord. Altimas are nice (my sisters has gone for about 270,000 so far).

Try this site if you're wondering about pricing...

www.kbb.com Kelly Blue Book pricing. Should give you a pretty good idea what to expect to pay.

Seriously, tho, you should be able to find a nice looking car with considerably low mileage that will last for a long time for 7000. I looked at trucks for a while, and you could probably get a 1999 or 98 Sonoma for that...

Ok, that's all I got man, sorry.
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/17/2002 : 10:57:49 PM
quote:
Oh, I should probably post whore

Nah, thats not post whoring.
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/17/2002 : 10:56:30 PM
Wow, 7000 is a good bit of money. You should have no problem finding a good car in that price range, but I really have no experience in car searching/buying.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 12/17/2002 : 10:42:06 PM
Oh, I should probably post whore and mention that I can spend about 7000 dollars. And I am carless right now, so i am in dire need.

Adam
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/17/2002 : 10:40:15 PM
Hhmm, I suggest a Honda, especially if you can find a used 'De Sol. lol Those things only sit 2 people, but there gorgeous.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000