Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Help SpaceMonkey

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SpaceMonkey Posted - 12/10/2002 : 10:28:42 PM
Hey all,

This has been a year of technological inovation for Spacemonkey here. I have acquired a cell phone, fallen in love with its' many practical applications [Snake], and am now seeking a much-needed upgrade. On the computer-side of things, I am currently in the process of having one of my much smarter friends put together a little somethin'-somethin' for me so I can get up to speed with downloading shows and all the other wonders that these great machines allow. I'd also like to swing a digital camera at some point as well. I have a few friends that play in bands and I'd love to capture their performances, and I've been to too many TR shows NOT to be recording them in some fashion. Anywho, do any of you guys have any info on these contraptions? Like I said, I basically want the thing to record shows.

And finally, Spacemonkey is considering a side project in music to complimemt his food delivery work. One of my buddies is trying to get me to pick out an instrument, but I have been stuck on making goofy electronic music once I get my computer or becoming the next big white rapper. If I had to pick an instrument it would be drums or bass, but again I am unsure.

So anyway, if any of you care to help with my quandries it would be much appreciated. If nothing else, I'd like to bounce some ideas around, or at the very worst start a thread that will continue for the next 7-10 years and veer wildly off-topic.

16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SpaceMonkey Posted - 01/15/2003 : 9:21:25 PM
The DSL package landed today and I'm looking at a January 21 connection date....so um, my chances of being an alien abductee are greatly increasing...I'm starting to say goodbye to friends, family and mistresses...it is just way too cold to do anything except be online...if you spent longer than two minutes outside today for any given stretch and you are living in the Northeast you are a crackhead.

So watch out Fluffy and all you other post whores...I'm going for broke this winter!
PJK Posted - 01/07/2003 : 3:56:39 PM
Welcome back SpaceMonkey!!!! Computers are wonderful....we are so spoiled with them....can't imagine life without them!
SpaceMonkey Posted - 01/07/2003 : 3:27:54 PM
The mothership has landed....I got my computer this past weekend and will hopefully be online by this weekend...unfortunately cable wasn't available in my 'hood so I have to go DSL...either way I am psyched to be getting my act together in this respect...finally, more music than I can shake a stick at, and undoubtedly more posting on the board...for the tech-savy, I will post the specs of my machine in a couple days...I'm pretty sure that I won't be leaving my house (except for work) or engaging with other humans in face-to-face encounters (except for work) for the rest of the winter...why bother, I have a computer!

I am still in the market for a video camera for recording shows, so if anyone has anything on that let me know, otherwise I will start hunting myself.

I would like to thank my teammates and Jesus Christ for making all of this possible.
SpaceMonkey Posted - 12/14/2002 : 11:19:07 AM
Yeah, I meant to say what KIND of video camera should I look into getting for recording bands, etc.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 12/13/2002 : 4:51:39 PM
Man phones are as cheap as ever right now... if you are signing up for a new service plan you can get insane deals until the end of the year, but just about everyone is offering holiday rebates right now even without a service plan. I wouldn't hold off too long if I were you.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/13/2002 : 12:50:49 PM
quote:
how about a video camera for recording shows?
Yeah, you should use a video camera for recording shows.

I'd like to know more about the computer... hard drive, processor, that sort of thing... I'm just curious as to what people are buying these days.

SpaceMonkey Posted - 12/12/2002 : 10:36:12 AM
Thanks for the input gang...I will let you know what I wind up with....the computer should be ready in a few weeks and the bass may win out just because of price and convienance...I am holding off on buying a new phone until after the holidays when things are a tad cheaper...how about a video camera for recording shows?

Right now I have a much easier time digesting other people's suggestions than looking at consumer reports-type stuff...probably because it has been so friggin' long since I've had money to play with and I am so far out of the loop as far as these things go that it's just easier to tell people what I'm want and go from there...hopefully in a year or two when I have some practical experience with all this gear I'll know what's-what...so again thanks for your suggestions, they are appreciated. No doubt once I have a computer screen at home I will spend more time on board the pod.
victorwootenfan Posted - 12/11/2002 : 3:18:35 PM
i would say bass, but oddly enough i started out my musical career drumming. bass, if taken seriously, can be very percussive and very melodic at the sam time! Bill Dickens to me is a good example of a bass player using everything to his advantage(drums, bass, melodies, chords, all of it). Drums are very good too, if you want a full drum set, or just start out on hand drums and various other tools. either one, sounds good to me!
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/11/2002 : 3:04:11 PM
quote:
SpaceMonkey: I ... am now seeking a [cell phone] upgrade.
I can't help you much there. I have the same one everybody has... But you can get just about anything you want now...ones that take pictures (but really, how often would one use that? among other things...

quote:
On the computer-side of things, I am currently in the process of having one of my much smarter friends put together a little somethin'-somethin' for me so I can get up to speed with downloading shows and all the other wonders that these great machines allow.
I'd love to hear your set-up. I just looked at Dell magazine, and man, those flat panels are super nice...they're also 1399 for the 20 inch version (and that's not even considering girth...hehe.) And I saw that you can get a 120GB or so (maybe it was 180GB) external hard drive for 300...that sounds nice. And Dell's selling internal DVD burners, from what I could understand, and that would hold a shitload of shows if you went that way... (I think dvds hold 4.7GB, which would easily be 4 shows, probably more like 6 or 7). That would be VERY nice. I mean VERY nice. It would reduce the bulk of my cd collection by... well, approximately a fifth, which would be nice right now (yes, pun intended). But tell us about your computer.

quote:
I'd also like to swing a digital camera at some point as well.
Well you've seen the pictures my girlfriends camera takes, and they are top quality. I think they're 2.1 megapixels, and I'd say that's a good quality to start at. I think hers is a Sony, and they are nice. It uses a little disc that fits in a removable USB drive, and that makes it easy, but they make cameras now that automatically burn the pics to a disc which I think would be excellent (even if Fluffy doesn't). As long as it takes CD-RW discs to put the pictures on, you'd be set. Definately look into that. If it takes cdrw, then go for one like that. If not, I'd just get one with a card.

quote:
Anywho, do any of you guys have any info on these contraptions [recorders]?
Many, many options here. DAT (like lizt's I think) and others...I can't think of them now. But they're getting now to where you can just record them with your computer (and the systems are nice enough that you don't have to worry about the fan turning off, Erich). That might set you back a couple thou. If you know you're going to be able to get a soundboard plug (which you probably won't know, I guess) I'd say probably go with DAT, cause that's pretty much the standard, from what I can tell.

quote:
If I had to pick an instrument it would be drums or bass, but again I am unsure.
Bass. Bass is just cool. Or cooler, maybe. Drummers just beat things...bassists get off. WOoohoo. That's how I feel. Plus, basses are fun.

Hope some of that might help.
Fleabass76 Posted - 12/11/2002 : 2:47:26 PM
Actually, that was a typo...I meant to say NILKNARF!!!
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/11/2002 : 2:02:50 PM
I, too, enjoyed that quite a bit. NILNARF FOREVER!
dirtysloth Posted - 12/11/2002 : 1:54:56 PM
Nilnarf? I think that made my day. Thanks.
Fleabass76 Posted - 12/11/2002 : 1:03:00 PM
Well, that's kind of a running joke. But I like to say that there are Drummers and then there are Percusionists, or Musicians who beat on things. There can be quite a big difference, and most of the time the difference comes from either education and/or lots of experience...But I like to say lots of things that don't make any sense. NILNARF!
PJK Posted - 12/11/2002 : 06:51:16 AM
So FB, drummers aren't real musicians, hummmmmmm????hehehehehehe
Fleabass76 Posted - 12/11/2002 : 01:53:23 AM
The solution for Spacemonkey is bass in the face. Drums vs bass is really a personal choice.
Some facts:
-A good bass and rig will cost you less than a good kit will usually.
-The bass' job is essentially a link between the harmony and rhthym so it's could be thought of as the bridge between guitars/piano and drums.
-Drummers on average are not considered musicians...hehe
-There's usually a slightly higher demand and lower supply of bassists than drummers...
That's all I have for now...
PJK Posted - 12/10/2002 : 11:06:04 PM
Don't know anything about recording so no help from me there.

You'll get one vote from me for "drums"....(I just bought a AA Tabla so for me percussion is where its at)

VWF will be a definite vote for bass! It would surprise the hell out of me if he said otherwise.

I have a feeling you will get a lot of votes for bass, but that's okay.

Bass or drums, it's all good!

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000