Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Thinking about buying a bass...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Silky The Pimp Posted - 12/10/2002 : 12:25:33 AM
Super cheap, just to mess around with... ~$200... 4 or 5 string. Recommendations?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
victorwootenfan Posted - 05/08/2003 : 12:00:28 PM
ok, i'm looking for a new bass, in the 500-800 dollar range. I have a 6 string now, and i am going to sell that so i can get a good slapping, 4 string, 24 fret bass, with some nice pick-ups! any suggestions? i'm looking on ebay currently for warwick, tobias, modulus, fodera. has anyone played any of these basses(i played a tobias once, and it is the best i've ever touched)?
pcbTIM Posted - 12/13/2002 : 11:13:22 PM
Lucky bastard. I was gonna buy a Boss RC-20, but I just bought books for next semester and that completely cleaned me out.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 12/13/2002 : 5:16:21 PM
Dunno, I think I'm going to hold off for now and buy a couple more effects pedals.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/13/2002 : 4:44:25 PM
Silky, an update? Did you get a bass yet? And what?
victorwootenfan Posted - 12/11/2002 : 11:50:49 AM
speaking of carvin i think i'm gonna buy an amp from them if i can sell my marshall halfstack. i am playing my bass through that now, and i'm trying to sell it, and buy a mini-p.a. carvin amp so i can play my upright and electric bass through.
Fleabass76 Posted - 12/11/2002 : 01:55:02 AM
Yeah, Peavy's are good too. Also check out Carvins, I think they're mail order only but they're solid especially for the price.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 12/10/2002 : 10:07:52 PM
Peavey Foundation V (5). It's a 5 stringer. I used to have one and had no complaints. I wound up selling it simply because I realized that I had no use for it because I was concentrating on guitar at the time. I've been thinking about picking another one up, and I would buy another Foundation V.

Adam
victorwootenfan Posted - 12/10/2002 : 8:41:34 PM
i've been a fan of fender standard jazz basses as a good starter, even though i've never owned a fender bass myself...
Fleabass76 Posted - 12/10/2002 : 01:36:52 AM
Cheap Yamaha's are good, they have good acoustics so if you wanted to later down the road, you could throw a Bartolini or EMG pickup system in one and made it sound alot better.
Samicks are ok too, they're not great but they're good for the money...I mentioned this in that other thread that Cort Curbow's are pretty damn good. You can find alot of them on Ebay usually. They have Bartolini pickups and of the few i've played they have the best sounding B-string (if you're getting a 5-string) i've ever heard on a bass under $700. Good luck.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/10/2002 : 12:59:04 AM

A personal favorite of mine (and probably what I'd buy this minute if I was going to buy a bass, which I am not).

That's another Yamaha, and is spot on $300. I think the wood tone is very nice, but you can get black and wine red...
quote:
The BB404 is Yamaha's lowest-priced 4-string model in the BB Series and features the BBNE2 Nathan East-style body silhouette that plays easily and offers great balance and shoulder comfort. It's equipped with a solid alder body, maple neck, dual humbuckers, a 24-fret rosewood fingerboard, and die-cast chrome tuners and hardware. includes limited lifetime warranty.
Ok, that's all I'll post...I'm going to stop looking and go to bed.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/10/2002 : 12:55:05 AM

For a four string, that's not bad... I think ESP makes a pretty good bass. That's 279.

Sorry, I have a real problem with price ranges... If you're serious about not paying too much more than $200, then you might as well just get something that you like the looks of, cause the sound's probably not going to be that much different. So I say just pick one out that's good looking. 4 strings will give you tons more options in the under 200 range.

Good luck...and hope I shed a little light...
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/10/2002 : 12:47:38 AM
http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=661

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1223

Thought about getting one myself a while back. Then I borrowed a friends for a while and never played/got bored with it. I still think they're fun... If I was getting one now... I'd probably still stick with what I said before...

... Actually I take that back..I just looked at the two basses I listed in the first link and they are fucking hideous... The one I played (a Rogue - generally considered the bastard stepchild of basses, I think) was a 5 string and I continuously found myself not using the low string at all. But since you're pretty skilled already, I'd say go for the 5, at least.

Here's probably the bass I found (after looking quickly) that's probably your best bet in a mix between price and quality. Sale price $297.

It's a scratch and dent (list's at about 600, I think, so it's a deal). Plus it's not bad looking...and its a Yamaha, which I think is generally not a bad bass...

Hope some of that helps.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000