Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Fun Essay

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jay Posted - 12/09/2002 : 5:20:14 PM
I get to write an essay on somehting I think is trash. So I'm classifying the different types of pop music...it'll be fun!
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jay Posted - 03/16/2003 : 1:14:37 PM
It was a little thrown together, I agree...

The assignment was to "Write a classification Essay" That's it. See, my teacher has great fun with not telling us about requirements and then taking off for them. She told me that I had no sources, but didn't take off for it. She DID say that we need to show how each group is different, so I did. I classified them on how they bloody ACT. The rules were simply to come up with a creative topic to write about, so I did. Then she said that you have to classify them in a way that shows the differences, not the similarities, although, if there are some similarities, they should be mentioned. So i did. No where in discussing the project did she mention the "Basis of Classification" stuff. She said that we need to show the differences, and if pertaining, some of the similarities. Now, how much fun is it to write an essay regarding one aspect of something? And where will that get the students, who are supposed to be the best of the best in the age group? Aren't we supposed to be as creative as possible to fully express our writing abilities, which are supposed to be above average? I know for a fact that she didn't take off on other's papers for not having a basis, because I read one that hardly even classified the topic. It was just explaining the topics, like this:

" Animals are in three major groups. Sea, Land, and Air. ( I'm not making this up, by the way) ............ The sea animals are fish and marine mammals. They live in oceans, lakes, and rivers........The land animals live on land, and are mammals, reptiles, etc..."

It basically just said what animals live where. No basis of classifcation in fact, hardly any calssification. He got an A. No figurative language, no nohting. And he got an A. I express an opinion, I get a C. Although I don't really think I deserve and A, I do think that a low C is pretty crappy to dish out. Oh, I got a C on teh rest of my essays for using the word " Thing" too much (Twice, three points per THING).

Erich Posted - 03/16/2003 : 04:42:49 AM
if you want my opinion, despite agreeing almost entirly with the content, i still wouldnt give it an A. I think that to an extent your teacher is right about no basis of classification, but unfortunatly for her thats the beauty of opinion. I just think its a little too thrown together content wise, though aranged nicely essay wise.

but before i go too far into my opinion on your essay, what was the exact assignment, and what was the teachers complete reasoning for giving you a (not deserved) C.
pcbTIM Posted - 03/15/2003 : 10:57:26 PM
I hate teachers who give out bad grades just because they disagree. For that matter, I hate anyone who abuses his/her power.
tericee Posted - 03/15/2003 : 8:27:26 PM
Since you directed us back over here, Jay, I thought I'd let you know I think your English teacher is crappy. If she told you to write about something you think is trash, then she should take your word for it. She said you had no basis of classification for your opinion. I disagree. You told the reasons that you think each of the four catgegories of pop is trash:

1. meaningless lyrics, a fan base consisting of 9-year olds, and high-pitched, wailing vocals
2. heavy, redundant guitar lines, heavy bass, and a singer that sounds like a horse-bullfrog hybrid on a sugar-high belching out badly-written songs
3. rich 20-year olds... Spiked hair, earrings, and expensive clothing are all displayed on these walking-billboards... loud electric guitar riffs and exploding cymbal crashes that sound like a trashcan with a few rubber bands stretched across it being thrown down a flight of stairs
4. they have sold out to make a few million extra dollars to spend on their mansions

Isn't that a basis for classification? I'm not clear on how she thinks you didn't do the assignment correctly.
Jay Posted - 01/29/2003 : 3:22:47 PM
I got a fuckin' C. She said I had " No basis of classification." I was pissed. I also wrote a story about a misfortunate day in my life, but I said that it was a great experience. It was funny, too. She said that I didn't follow directions and write about a good day. I said that it WAS a good day in retrospect because of how funny it was.
Jay Posted - 12/16/2002 : 4:01:38 PM
Thankee much! THanks for reading!
I sure hope my profesora de ingles sees the humor in this. She really isn't the type to take humor with a smile. She'll probably make me re-write it or something. I turned it in today, by the way, so I'll update yall on my grade as soon as I get it.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 12/16/2002 : 1:20:45 PM
Great job Jay! Didn't know you could be so coherent. :)
TalkingNeurons Posted - 12/15/2002 : 11:16:58 PM
"Hahaha, it's funny cause it's true!"

Had to through in a Simpson's quote.

Great essay by the way.
PJK Posted - 12/10/2002 : 9:45:56 PM
"Take it or leave it, bat-woman!"HAHAHAHAHA

Jay Posted - 12/10/2002 : 8:25:56 PM
Thanks for reading it! Now...my English teacher will probably flip oot over it and say it "isn't serious enough" I think I'll say, "Take it or leave it, bat-woman!"
PJK Posted - 12/09/2002 : 7:07:44 PM
Jay, great job! Really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing it!
Jay Posted - 12/09/2002 : 6:39:39 PM
*In Indian accent*

Oph Gorse!

When the casual listener tunes the radio on to the local “Popular Music” station, they are bombarded with a wide variety of music, ranging from tone-deaf “Boy Bands” to groups that were on top of the world years ago, and are now rebounding back in to the scene with cut-down, flashy love ballads. Some regard this music as beautiful and uplifting, but some regard it as, simply, “Untalented Dribble.” There are four main categories into which all pop music can be classified, tone-deaf singers or groups. Pop metal, pop rock, and finally the reprise groups. These groups are arranged in descending order of wretchedness.
The first category is the Tone-Deaf singers. These people are the most severe form of pop music today. None of these singers write their own material, and pay a hefty sum for an executive songwriter to pen down some meaningless lyrics on a piece of gold-trimmed paper. Most of these lyrics have the words “baby,” and “Yeah!” thrown in at random points in the “tune” to add effect. These singers and groups can be quite diverse, and have a few categories within themselves. One thing, in all “boy-bands,” is the bad kid. He is usually dressed in leather at all hours, and wears a bandanna. The girls are obsessed with these guys, and follow them everywhere. On the other end of the trash-music spectrum, the girl singers are polluting the radio with high-pitched screams. These singers are usually so thin that their diet must consist of vitamin supplements and toothpaste. They too, have the same characteristic qualities as the boy-bands, which are meaningless lyrics, a fan base consisting of 9-year olds, and high-pitched, wailing vocals. While they are absolutely horrible, by far the worst, there are still more types of pop music.
Some people regard the second type of pop music to be great. It isn’t. Pop metal has been clogging up the airways for years, giving parents a chance to repeat the entire Elvis situation with full vigor. This music is characterized by heavy, redundant guitar lines, heavy bass, and a singer that sounds like a horse-bullfrog hybrid on a sugar-high belching out badly-written songs with way too much enthusiasm. Instead of “baby,” and “Yeah!” littering the lyrics, offensive swear words and racist phrases are scattered among the incoherent lyrics. This music is most popular with young boys who discover the music through friends, and are to scared not to like it. Some of this music is so offensive that major stores have refused to sell it. Nevertheless, it is gobbled up by kid’s parents (because they can’t buy it with the parental warnings) and the censored versions blared over the radio and on MTV. It’s surprising that this music is still legal.
Pop rock is considered to be the most bearable of all the music types, because it isn’t offensive, and appeals to parents and kids alike. The music generally has some talent behind it, but this is masked by the song’s content. Returning are the random “Baby’s” and “Yeah’s!” These groups are usually comprised of rich 20-year olds that use too many cosmetic products. Spiked hair, earrings, and expensive clothing are all displayed on these walking-billboards. The lyrics that these people write are covered up by loud electric guitar riffs and exploding cymbal crashes that sound like a trashcan with a few rubber bands stretched across it being thrown down a flight of stairs. Lyrical content is often limited to love songs devoted to some long lost woman, or angry, yelling songs condemning schools and government.
The final category is the Reprise groups. These are bands that were popular years ago, but are now coming back with songs that are nothing like what they used to play. Their new fans seem to think that they stumbled upon something new and creative, even though the band member’s faces look like walnuts, and they are over 50 years old. These bands were once the most popular acts in music, and for good reasons. Now, they have sold out to make a few million extra dollars to spend on their mansions. Most of these bands try their absolutely hardest to keep on top, but it is quite obvious that they are losing the battle. Music stations award them for “30 years of music,” even though for ten of those years, at least, they were bankrupt and in drug rehab centers. The music isn’t as horrible as it could be, but it is nothing like the tunes they used to play back in the 80’s. They just don’t know when to quit.
Overall, the tune-deaf singers, the pop metal and rock, and the reprise groups are making up the popular music today. All of them are distinctly different, yet the same in many aspects. All of them have given up making good music for making good money, and do it with pleasure. There is so much great music today, that pop music seems horrible once you hear a soulful blues tune, played straight form the heart, with honesty in the vocals and pure talent rippling through the music.
PJK Posted - 12/09/2002 : 5:27:14 PM
Sounds fun....you will share it when you're done, right?????

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000