Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Michio Kaku: Some interesting facts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Evergreen Posted - 12/02/2002 : 4:22:59 PM
http://www.noradiation.org/news/MICHIO~1.html

It's pretty long so I just put the link for anyone interested
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Evergreen Posted - 12/19/2002 : 11:56:39 PM
Michio is on Art Bell right now. Talking about wormholes and
quantum physics.
Evergreen Posted - 12/18/2002 : 3:32:36 PM
My kinda guy. I've read quite a few of his books and another amazing thing is that he can talk about extremely complicated theories and ideas with words and examples everyone understands. You don't need to be a science/physics geek to understand or enjoy his stuff. We need someone like him running this country. He knows so much about the environment and the impact of different modernizations and he is also able to explain things with a passion that makes the listener/reader excited about what he's explaining.
Fluffy Posted - 12/18/2002 : 04:26:13 AM
Dr Michio Kaku
The Mind of a Physicist and the Soul of a Poet

Dr. Michio Kaku is an internationally recognized authority in theoretical physics and also the environment. He holds the Henry Semat Professorship in Theoretical Physics at the City College and the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. His goal is to help complete Einstein's dream of a "theory of everything," a single equation, perhaps no more than one inch long, which will unify all the fundamental forces in the universe. He has lectured around the world and his Ph.D. level textbooks are required reading at many of the top physics laboratories. He has written 9 books; his last two books, Hyperspace and Visions, became international best-sellers, and have been widely translated into different languages. He hosts a weekly hour-long radio program on science on several stations around the country, and his commentaries on science can be heard on 60 radio stations nation-wide.

Dr. Kaku graduated from Harvard in 1968, summa cum laude, and number one in his physics class. He received a Ph.D. from the Univ. of Calif. at Berkeley Radiation Laboratory in 1972. He held a lectureship at Princeton University in 1973. He then joined the faculty at the City Univ. of New York, where he has been a professor of theoretical physics for 25 years. He has been a visiting professor at the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton, and also New York University.

He has published over 70 physics articles in physics journals which include superstring theory, super gravity, supersymmetry, and hadronic physics. He is the cofounder of string field theory. He also wrote the first paper on conformal supergravity and the breakdown of supersymmetry at high temperatures.

His books include:

1) Nuclear Power: Both Sides (1982) with Jennifer Trainer. W.W. Norton.

2) To Win a Nuclear War (with Dan Axelrod). South End Press.

3) Beyond Einstein (with Jennifer Trainer). Anchor Press. 1995.

4) Introduction to Superstrings. Springer Verlag. 1988.

5) Strings, Conformal Fields, and Topology. Springer Verlag. 1991.

6) Quantum Field Theory: a Modern Introduction (Oxford Univ. Press). 1993

7) Quarks, Symmetries, and Strings (with A. Jevicki and K. Kikkawa). World Scientific Publishers.

8) Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the 10th Dimension. 1994.

9) Visions: How Science Will Revolutionize the 21st Century. (Anchor/Doubleday) 1997.

He has appeared on Larry King Show (radio as well as CNN-TV), Nightline, PBS's Nova and Innovation, 60 Minutes, Good Morning America and CNN-News. He was featured on the PBS documentaries: Einstein Revealed, Stephen Hawking's Universe, and Science Odyssey, the Learning Channel's Future Fantastic, as well as the Science Fiction Channel. He will appear on the Discovery Channel's Science of the Impossible. On radio, he has appeared on NPR's Science Friday and also BBC-International. He has appeared on over 600 radio programs around the country.

He has been quoted in the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, U.S. News and World Report, BBC, Sunday London Times, London Daily Telegraph. Boston Globe, Seattle Times, S.F. Chronicle, San Diego Union, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, the Oregonian.

His book, Hyperspace, was reviewed on the cover of the New York Times, Philadelphia Inquirer, and S.F. Chronicle Book Review sections, and was profiled in a four-page spread in U.S. News and World Report. It was voted one of the best science books of 1994 by both the Washington Post and the New York Times. Referring to Visions, Kirkus Review wrote that Dr. Kaku "is a worthy successor to the late Carl Sagan." For two weeks, the Sunday London Times excerpted chapters from Visions in its book section.

He hosts a weekly hour-long program, called Explorations, on WBAI-FM radio in New York (99.5 fm) which can also be heard on KPFA-FM (93.1 fm) in the Bay Area, WWUH-FM (91.3 fm) in West Hartford, and also Portland, Ore, on KKGT-AM (1150 am). His show is carried nationally by the KU national satellite band. He also does semi-weekly science commentaries on Pacifica National Radio, which is carried by 60 radio stations around the country.

http://www.mkaku.org/biography.html
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/05/2002 : 5:04:05 PM
I thought this was a pretty interesting article. Well said, I guess. I'd like more information. Who exactly is Michio Kaku? I've not heard of him.
Evergreen Posted - 12/04/2002 : 08:09:50 AM
This was actually written by someone else who transcribed it from a lecture he did. I have tried to find the actual notes from the lecture with no luck. Michio is actually extremely articulate. If you've ever heard him on Art Bell or his own radio show, you'd see this about him. I highly recommend anything he has written.
http://www.caipirinha.com/Collaborators/kaku.html
http://www.mkaku.org/

Sorry I didn't clarify that earlier. It helps to know the source of something you're reading.
Fluffy Posted - 12/04/2002 : 03:09:49 AM
therippa said:
quote:
I read it, and now by brain hurts from trying to, ah, process all the broken english and-and hyphen errors.

I have to agree with you, as depressing as it was, I couldn't help but laugh to myself and think, "Boy, would Tericee have a field day with this guy." She would be pulling her hair out. HEHE Serious stuff, but really bad grammer.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/03/2002 : 5:46:09 PM
I read this in its entirety.
Evergreen Posted - 12/03/2002 : 3:57:41 PM
ah-ah, Is that all you got out of it?
therippa Posted - 12/03/2002 : 1:58:58 PM
I read it, and now by brain hurts from trying to, ah, process all the broken english and-and hyphen errors.

I'll now use the radiation being emitted from my cellphone to put my brain back in order
Evergreen Posted - 12/03/2002 : 08:06:56 AM
You said it Fluffy. It's exactly why I posted it. On the theme of TR's recent tour... THINK ABOUT IT! I have to go work at a well child clinic right now and don't have TIMe to stay on but I also wanted to write about the recent air pollution policies enacted by our president and the EPA. PUT ON THE GAS MASK!!!!Its had me riled for days. The more people who know about it and get RILED about it the better.
Fluffy Posted - 12/02/2002 : 9:43:43 PM
Learn, spread the knowledge, and speak out.

It is so EZ for them to do stuff behind our backs. If we find out and spread the info, then more people know, and maybe they will not be able to get away with some of the horrible stuff they intend to do. We can never give up hope or give up trying, then we definitely lose.

And from the sounds of that article, losing would be at a great price.
PJK Posted - 12/02/2002 : 8:06:22 PM
I read the whole thing...it is scary. Don't know why it surprises me the way they manipulate the numbers.

I worked on a study once when organs of dead cattle were sent to me to work up in the lab because they suspected a particular type of microorganism. I worked it up and when I wrote out the report my boss said "but they said you should get a lot of bordatella."(SP?) So he changed my numbers! I was livid!!!

The kinds of things in that article really make me wonder if I should have had kids! What kind of world are we going to have?
Fluffy Posted - 12/02/2002 : 7:08:40 PM
That is some pretty scary stuff. As he said at the end, even if the chance is 1 in a million, that's too much of a risk. I think ANY risk of an accident with the nuclearization of space is too much. As he pointed out MIR was never expected to fall from the sky either. I am sure the odds on that were at least a million to one as well. SCARY STUFF!

I did manage to pull out the more humorous comments made for everyone to enjoy, since I doubt most of you will take the TIMe to read the whole thing, although I truly suggest you do, since it affects all of us.

quote:
Now, you say to yourself, how did we get into this mess—where potentially thousands, if not millions could eventually be effected by plutonium in space. Well, some of it goes back to the 1950’s. We all remember the 1950’s—there was this euphoria about nuclear energy. Atoms for peace. I was growing up in that period of time, and I was so proud as a high school kid, that one day, I obtained the blue prints for the atomic car. Photographs of the atomic car were re-released in—in a magazine just--just a few months ago. I have the blue prints for the atomic car. You would ride on 60 tons of lead down main street with a nuclear power plant in the trunk compartment of your car and no one asked what would happen if there was road rage [laughter] somebody has a rear end collision and you have a class 9 nuclear meltdown on Main Street. We just didn’t ask those questions.

And then Walt Disney had this beautiful film, Arthur and the Atom where they had the atomic airplane. It’s a beautiful device, goose-like airplane. The nuclear power plant was over here and the pilots were way over here so they wouldn’t mutate and the airplane soared over the United States. Well, what would happen if we had an air controller’s strike and we had a hundred nuclear power plants waiting for permission to land at Kennedy Airport. And I’m building up to something. Then we have the atomic toaster. The atomic toaster is based on plutonium 238. If I had plutonium 238 in my hand it would be hot. You encase it in plastic, it emits heat. The heat can be converted to electricity to toast your bread. The atomic toaster was guaranteed to toast your bread for 20,000 years. Long after your bones have turned to dust. Long after the toaster has turned to dust. Plutonium 238 will be faithfully producing heat for your toast.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000