Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 A friendly suggestion to my songwriting friends.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 11/26/2002 : 9:47:10 PM
First I'll tell you why. The song by KC and Jo Jo that I'm sure you all have heard: All My Life (I think that's the name - it was their big hit) was written by my coworkers son! There was some sort of contest or something in his area and he submitted it and heard nothing. Then a while later, he got a complimentary cd in the mail with a thank you note and that's all. Yep, nothing else. And, since he hadn't copyrighted the song, he had no recourse.

My suggestion is for you all to copyright your songs. But I know you won't do that, so here's what you can do:

Print out the songs you've written (whether you sing them, play them, or both, and even if you've just written them and don't play them). Take them to a notary republic and get them notarized. That might cost you two dollars. I don't know really. Then put each song or piece of work in an envelope, mail it to yourself, and keep it unopened. I think it's a good idea to do each song separately because that way, if you ever have to open one, the other will still be postmarked.

I'm not sure how much that will cost you. Maybe $5 or something. However, if you ever hear one of your songs being done by someone else, you can clean up, legally.

I, of course, don't write songs, so this information is of no use to me. But I do know there are people here who do, and I think it's a great idea to protect yourself inexpensively.

Incidentally, the song Layla by Eric Clapton...well, you guessed it...it's by a guy named Bobby Whitlock from Oxford (I've made many pairs of glasses for him). Now he might have gotten some credit for it, I don't know about that ... but anyway ... He may have just given it to EC since BW sucks in the music field.

Ok, well there's my advice, take it or leave it.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 11/27/2002 : 10:22:31 PM
Hey enthuTIMsiast, I appreciate the thoughts. It is really good advice to copyright your music. I haven't quite gotten to that point yet, I mean, i've been recording, etc... but I haven't gotten anything copyrighted. That is number one on my to-do-before-sending-my-demo-anywhere list.

That poor man's copyright stuff is good advice too, but I have also heard that if you want a solid court case in a copyright suit, you should get your songs copyrighted the official way. You have to get the proper form from the Register of Copyrights in D.C., and pay the filing fee, which is currently $30. So, for a 3 song demo, you're looking at $90, because you can only do one song per form if you really want it to stand up in a court case.

Getting songs copyrighted can be expensive for a working musician with a day job, but like you say, it's better to do it now and shell out a few bucks, than to not do it and hear your song on the radio down the road and have no recourse.

Again, thanks for the info, and for letting anyone else know about this. Because copyright infringement, or the lack of a copyright, is just one of an unlimited number of ways you can get screwed in the music industry.

Adam
Erich Posted - 11/27/2002 : 8:42:02 PM
about the "poor mans copywrite", read this thread:

http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39225

interesting stuff about this mailing it to yourself business...
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 11/27/2002 : 6:51:46 PM
Just a bump cause I'd like GuitarGuyAdam to see this, cause I know he writes some songs... I'm sure there are others.
pcbTIM Posted - 11/27/2002 : 12:10:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey

Yeah, I learned this lesson the hard...."U Can't Touch This"? That was all me.

No kidding? I was the "I'm Too Sexy For My Shirt" creator. Because I am.
SpaceMonkey Posted - 11/26/2002 : 11:00:30 PM
Yeah, I learned this lesson the hard...."U Can't Touch This"? That was all me.
{=HTG=} Posted - 11/26/2002 : 10:52:43 PM
Shoot, if that happened to me, i'd probably snap.....
pcbTIM Posted - 11/26/2002 : 9:55:57 PM
Wow.......that's amazing. If I ever decide to commit myself to write a song, I'll be sure to do that.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000