Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 and i would also like to thank...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pants_happy Posted - 10/28/2002 : 5:06:45 PM
everyone that recommended segovia. because even though i rarely post, i read every post i can find. so, i bought a cd called "Spanish Guitar Magic" with 40 songs played by segovia, montoya, and di lucia. buying something like this without much thought is very rare for me, but indeed it did NOT disappoint. i have 2 questions for anyone that might know the answers to: when it lists it on the cd like:
Segovia
Siciliana(Johann Sebastian Bach)

does that mean that segovia is playing a song written by bach?

and 2ndly: i think i already know the answer to this but, on many of these songs, it sounds like a couple of guitarists playing,(and in in di lucia's case, i think it actually is, not because it sounds as difficult as montoya's, but just sounds like more than 1 guitar) so my question would be: did montoya or segovia ever play on stage with another guitarist, or did they play by themselves?

also, the 26th marks the anniversary of my 1st tim reynolds concert, or just my 1st concert. and i would like give a major thanks tim, fluffy, and greg howard for all the great memories, and tom baggot bringing tim there.(and fluffy for talking to tom to book tim there). october has definately become one of my favorite times of the year. here's to tim, fluffy, greg, and tom. CHEERS!
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pants_happy Posted - 10/29/2002 : 5:06:22 PM
first of all:
Fluffy thanks for all the info. i mean it. for some strange reason, i didn't even think to do a search, but just posted it here instead.

enthuTIMsiast, many of the songs that segovia plays are of decent quality, many sound like they were open air taped at a concert (with the crowd completely silent, except for a cough here and there) and are a little quieter, and some are louder and clear as day. segovia plays 14 songs on it, and as far as i can tell, about 4 of them have hiss.as for montoya, who plays faster than anyone i've ever heard, his sounds more of a studio quality, the same with di lucia. if what fluffy says is right, then this cd doesn't have ANY orginal songs by the three musicians, which, for those looking to hear orginal scores, is a little disappointing. also, all of montoya's songs are traditional. this cd (2 cd's actually, all for only $20) was a real eye opener for me. i would recommend it to anyone.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 10/29/2002 : 2:57:25 PM
I mentioned Segovia the other day, and I just got the cd out and started listening to it yesterday a lot...and man, he really is great. I might have to get some more stuff, preferably some higher quality...

What's the quality like on the one you have? Hiss and such, or is it remastered? That's what I want.
Fluffy Posted - 10/29/2002 : 02:10:42 AM
Ohhh, I forgot, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY and THANX for the kind words.
Fluffy Posted - 10/29/2002 : 02:09:25 AM
From the way you have it presented, I would say, it is Segovia playing a song called "Siciliana" composed by Bach. Bach did indeed compose a piece by that name. I did a few searches and was not able to find any references to Segovia ever playing a duet. I found this strange as I would have guess he most certainly have had to at one TIMe or anther, but I can find on evidence to back this up. I still believe he had to at one TIMe or another. I am not familiar with the particular CD of which you speak so I can speak with no authority as to the number of guitarists performing at any one TIMe.

Interesting stuff I came across looking for the duets evidence. Should appeal to the guitar players especially, with all those questions about how should I practice, what should I practice, what exercises should I try, etc etc. Give these a read. Folks like Silky should find them invaluable.

FIRST:

Miguel had the opportunity to take lessons from Andres Segovia when he lived in Spain. (If you don't know who Segovia is, he was the most influential classical guitarist of this century, if not of all time.)

"I think Segovia was given by God a certain touch that no one else had," Miguel said. "He played Jose Ramirez guitars, the same ones everyone had access to, but his tone still stands out from anyone else's."

"Segovia was a very strict teacher," Miguel added. "He taught me technique which entails the way you sit, hold the guitar, and how to use your fingers to pluck the strings. Technique determines your tone and coordination as a player."

In order to take lessons from Segovia, one had to audition to prove advanced enough before Segovia would accept you. Miguel remembers him as a very funny and philosophical man.
"I remember one time someone asked Segovia, 'Maestro, what is the difference between flamenco and classical guitar?'" Miguel said. "He responded that a flamenco guitarist learns a song, memorizes it and goes on to the next song. A classical guitarist, however, practices and practices a song until he perfects it, and the result is day and night."

JUST THOUGHT THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL SO I ADDED IT:

SECOND:

http://neuro-oas.mgh.harvard.edu/tigertunes/segovia.html

THIRD:

http://indra.com/~jkenyon/parkening.html

These were interesting reading, even for me, a non-guitar player. I bet you players could pull some really valuable tips and excercises out of these. LMK what you think.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000