Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Missed you people

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Evergreen Posted - 10/28/2002 : 09:53:37 AM
Hey, How is everyone.
Anyone heard from Liz? I've been busy traveling looking for land for my new house. New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island were a few of the stops (land and land taxes are very cheap in these areas. They also have an extended coastal growing season). I also attended a school called Earth Builders in the Adirondack Mountains and learned how to build a cordwood home that will exist off the grid (solar power). For the last 2 months me and 4 others including the teacher Rob Roy (written some great books on the subject)put up a house ourselves. Hopefully I'll have pictures soon and I'll post some. I lived in a yurt for a few months, during the building project, which was really cool too. I guess I've decided that a mortgage free house, growing my own food, and being in the trees is really the best insurance plan in our "oh so unstable society and economy". There are soooooo many posts and topics since I came back. I'm not sure I'll be able to catch up.
Anyway, it's nice to see some of the familiar names and crazy conversation. Somebody give me some updates. And where is Liz? I've emailed her to death the past few days and I've heard nothing. Which isn't like her and I got a little worried.

26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Evergreen Posted - 12/18/2002 : 08:42:32 AM
Fluffy, I somehow missed reading that Tasha died. I'm so sorry!!
Losing a pet is such a wrenching thing. They can't be replaced. I know when I got Althea it DID make me feel better about losing the dogs, but not in a replacement kinda way. I think it's great that your family is going to give a few sweet strays a home. I'd be wanting to take them all. I'm going to be the weird old lady with 20 cats too! How come there are so many strays where you are vacationing? Deer wandering around in the yard makes it magical!
They are always in my parents back yard and you can sit in the family room and watch them out the window instead of TV. Good luck with picking out the new felines. They are fortunate kittys.

The vet who worked on the deer I found sent me a picture of her standing and eating in the back yard. It's recovering and looks great.
I'm going to try and get my friend to scan the picture so everyone can see her.

Fluffy Posted - 12/18/2002 : 06:50:18 AM
I think they will be happy with 4 cats instead of 6, although, if I had my own house, I would have as many cats as possible. I would be one of those crazy old people with hundreds of cats running around.
PJK Posted - 12/18/2002 : 06:39:20 AM
Definitely they should take three....how much more work could that be???? And soooo much more love! That is the great thing about love...it is very expandable! I only have a dog and fish right now (Huge fish....2 Angels and a catfish!) and theres always enough love for more!
Fluffy Posted - 12/18/2002 : 06:18:06 AM
If the cats were in a race, it looks like the one I would have said was in 2nd place has taken the lead. They still have 3 more days so the outcome could be a completely unexpected contender, we will see. I have my 2 faves and I hope it is one of them. I told my parents they should just take home 3 cats, that way there would be less deciding and less hurt kitty feelings. HEHE
PJK Posted - 12/18/2002 : 06:10:07 AM
Awe, I didn't know Tasha died.....sooo sad!

Cats have a way of finding their people....I think your parents don't have a say as to what cat they get next....I think one of the cats will pick them! Lucky cat!!!
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/18/2002 : 06:08:22 AM
Ah, missed my oppurtunity.
Fluffy Posted - 12/18/2002 : 05:59:37 AM
A Woops!! I meant "to bed". HEHE
Fluffy Posted - 12/18/2002 : 05:56:49 AM
Ironically, if you remember back a little, I mentioned that TASHA, the love of my life, died not to long ago, leaving an odd number of kitties at my parents house. So they are getting another kitty.

While on the vacation here at Lake Travis with my family, there are lots of abandoned cats running around. 12 is our latest count, anyway, my parents have decided that one lucky contestant will be going home with them at the end of this trip. I think they have narrowed it down to 2, but I am not sure about that. I will fill you in on the details when the vacation is over and final decision is made. Also, I am sure you will "wish you were here" when I tell you about the deer as well. Anyway, it's getting late and I need to get to................
Evergreen Posted - 12/17/2002 : 08:57:00 AM
quote:
That I can certianly do. "beck and call" comes to mind...

Already trained and on a short leash?

quote:
Well I held out and didn't get another cat even though I
really wanted to have another animal for company.

Yes well THAT didn't last very long. I'd like you to all welcome Jonah
to the family. 3.5 months old male kitty. He came from a farm at the top of the state up near the Canadian border. In fact it was so close to the border, while looking for the place I almost drove right through the border without stopping at about 60 mph. THAT was quite funny. Not for me of course as I slammed on the brakes skidding in a half circle right in front of the border patrol people who I'm sure are still laughing at me. Then as I'm turning around, the uniformed officer who I've always feared on past trips to Montreal was coming out of the building. It's a conditioned panic response as I used to take party supplies to Montreal concerts and it was always a little scary going thru customs. We yelled we're lost and looking for a cat out the window and he was laughing waving us on so it was OK. Funny today as I think about it. Anyway, Jonah is a sweet boy with almost the same markings as Althea (black with white boots tummy and part of his face). And he's sooo cuddly all the TIMe. Althea has to be in the mood. He purred the whole way home (almost 2 hours)on my friends lap. Althea has been a bit of a bitch to him, growling a little and chasing him around the house. She let him eat however, without kicking his ass and when she gets too close and bitchy he swats at little at her. It'll take few days for her to warm up but I know she likes him already. I sure do! Plus he came out of a bit of a turbulant situation. The family he came from have 9 kids(little kids) and 5 dogs one of which is a st. bernard and chased Jonah insessantly. Then there were the other 6 adult cats who all beat up on him (according to the woman). That was the main reason the family decided to give him away. It looked very much like the parents had a hard TIMe feeding all the children let alone all the animals. The woman did tell me he never got alot to eat because he was the little guy and the others got it before him. Judging from the way he ate when I got him back to my house that was a definite.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/16/2002 : 4:21:46 PM
That I can certianly do. "beck and call" comes to mind...
Evergreen Posted - 11/21/2002 : 09:23:07 AM
Well I held out and didn't get another cat even though I
really wanted to have another animal for company. Since last August, I lost both of my dogs to cancer, one was 15 and one 7 years. I also lost my best friend to a gun shot and another really good friend who moved in January and never contacted me again. We were close friends and housemates for 7 years. With her she took Cecil the cat who I had lived with his whole life. Suddenly my house was empty of pets and family and I've missed them all immensly, hence wanting to get another kitty. But I think Fluffy is right with what he said above.
Two reasons, I had a week off last week to get my new place settled. Althea slept ALL day while we were both home. I'd even try to rouse her from her little sheepskin bed and fleecy blanket to get up and hang out with me or play. NO WAY was she having any part of it. So while I was thinking oh poor kitty alone all day while I'm at work, needs another to keep her company, she was loving the solitude to sleep. I know this because when I tried to wake her to hang out she bat me with the claws and moved to another comfy spot. With the "what the hell are you doing, get away from me I'm sleeping" look.
Then, I came home after having cuddled my friends cat during a visit and Althea was pissed. She smelled the other cat immediately and wouldn't come near me for hours. Slept on the couch type of thing. It was really funny. Now when I come home she extends her little twitchy nose to sniff and see if I've been playing with other cats before she jumps up in my arms. So as you can see she already has a persnickity little attitude and I think at this point if I brought another cat in the house she'd never cuddle with me again. VERY different from the dogs.

quote:
And you'll provide for the both of us...er...both of you?

Yes but you...er he....would certainly earn it.
Fluffy Posted - 11/20/2002 : 3:23:36 PM
Can you expand LizT? You have stumped me once again with your comment. HEHE RU saying cat people are loners?
LizT Posted - 11/15/2002 : 01:55:50 AM
Sounds like a message from from one loner to another...... I know the feeling....
Fluffy Posted - 11/13/2002 : 04:04:04 AM
Well Evergreen, Cats like to be the sole owner of the home. Your kitten may seem lonely now, while she is a kitten, but as she gets older she will love the alone TIMe and you will find she likes that you are HERS. Cats don't like to share. Bringing another cat can sometimes be very traumatic for the original kitty, although the original kitty will more often than not end up as top cat. I think you are fine with the one cat. Imagine the frantic hell 2 cats would be. HEHE Remember, cats like quiet TIMe. Your cat is not lonely while you are away, just excited when you come home. She might start to question your dedication and loyalty to her if you should bring in an unwanted guest. There are lots of theories on this question but that is the answer I have arrived at from years of cats as pets. I should add, that if you get 2 cats together at the same time, the whole dynamic of my above statements go out the window. My comments were only for bringing in a 2nd cat. Hope this helps. Glad to see you back on the boards.
pcbTIM Posted - 11/10/2002 : 3:18:21 PM
Damn! How did you crack my code?!
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 11/10/2002 : 08:32:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by pcbdmb

I ... can go either way.

Wha?
pcbTIM Posted - 11/10/2002 : 03:58:57 AM
I think that cats like to have more than one around. But I'm talking from experience. I've had the same two cats (brother and sister) for 13 years now. They seem pretty happy with each other. However, I've never had just one cat before, so I don't know how they act alone. What I do know is that if you take on of them away, it makes the situation worse, just like dogs.

I think it can go either way.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 11/08/2002 : 4:31:33 PM
quote:
What I need is a stay at home partner. I'll go to work because I love my job and he'll stay at home and nanny the kitty!
And you'll provide for the both of us...er...both of you?
Evergreen Posted - 11/08/2002 : 4:29:20 PM
Thanx Fluff! I'm not sure I'm a cat person yet.
I'm still learning alot. In fact, I have a question for the
Panel. Do you think cats prefer to be alone during the day or
prefer to have another cat around? I've been a dog owner for so many yrs before January and they are totally pack, social animals. Lately when I'm away from home all day and leave the kitten there I feel like she's lonely. I've been considering getting another cat to keep her company. However, I can't figure out if its carry over from being a dog person or if she is really be happier alone. Many people I ask say cats like to be the center of attention and alone, but I still feel like she's lonely. I could be completely crazy because she is a very content happy cat in general. Anyone know if cats prefer to be alone or with another? Another cat that is!!!
What I need is a stay at home partner. I'll go to work because I love my job and he'll stay at home and nanny the kitty!

Fluffy Posted - 11/05/2002 : 04:43:32 AM
Hey Evergreen, I also thought you might like to check this out, not that you are a cat person and all:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1265
Fluffy Posted - 11/05/2002 : 04:40:23 AM
Great to hear she is doing so well, but that is totally bizarre behavior for a cat. Cats usually HATE water and baths etc etc etc. Must be a pretty kewl cat you got yourself. Sounds like she will LOVE swimming in the river. Whatta KEWL KAT!!!
Evergreen Posted - 10/28/2002 : 12:25:32 PM
I'm still trying to get over that job description. Oh my, I think I missed my calling. Testing cannabis to enter in the Amsterdam cannabis cup? I was just reading about a strain called Purple Pudding, interestingly enough. That is perhaps the condition of your brain after one puff....purple pudding. When my guidance counselor said "what do you want to be when you grow up" in high school, I wished I'd have known about Jasons career.

Anyway, Althea the kitten is doing fantastic. She weighs 4.5 lbs now.(1.5lbs when I got her) She loves Jazz, but gets in a "tear you apart" mood when I play any other kind of music, esp Frank Zappa. That is the only instance of working out our differences we have had. She's taken well to traveling and is somewhat like a dog that way. She's happy in the car traveling long distance and in hotel rooms or tents. She loved the yurt we stayed in and especially loved running up the walls (literally) as they are made of fabric in a yurt (see pacificyurts.com). I sneek her into hotels and she hangs out quietly in a handbag or backpack until we get to the room. So if you see me with a shoulder bag, the cats probably in it. But don't tell anyone. The other interesting thing (maybe not I'm still not too familiar with cats)she likes the shower and gets in everyday. I turn on the shower and wait for the water to get hot and she jumps in and stands on the side, but still in the water until it gets hot then she gets out and I get in. It's the weirdest thing. She gets all wet, goes and licks herself dry and takes a nap. Something about water. I thought cats hated water. Not Althea. I brush my teeth and same thing. She comes running and tries to get on the sink and stick her head under the faucet. Maybe I'll be able to take her swimming in the river. Seems to be something about running water.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 10/28/2002 : 12:08:34 PM
Evergreen... glad you stopped by. Don't be such a stranger! If you emailed Liz I'm sure she'll get back to you... just give'er a day or two.
Fluffy Posted - 10/28/2002 : 10:07:53 AM
Here is the link to what enthuTIMsiast has been up to these days, alot has changed for him. It will blow your mind.

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2576
Fluffy Posted - 10/28/2002 : 10:04:17 AM
Here's a link to the topic about Liz and also about Jason. Wait till you hear what he has been doing in your absence. I will see if I can find a link to that as well.

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2472
Fluffy Posted - 10/28/2002 : 10:00:28 AM
Great to see you back, she is doing so-so. Trying TIMes for her right now. She has been popping by a little lately, but was gone for a while. She even missed a bunch of TR shows and that is not like her. We were worried, but I finally got a hold of her and found out how she was doing. She would probably really love to hear from you right now especially, but she has had to take herself away for a while. She regrets the lack of communication and apologizes, she will be back.

Glad to hear you are doing so well, sounds like you have been busy busy busy. Hows the kitty doing these days? Sounds like kewl kewl stuff you are involved in, as if I should be surprised. I would love to hear more about it and what has been going on with you in your absence. Missed seeing you in Burlington and Baba as well. Tell him HI. Can't wait to hear more details of your exciting adventures. Sounds like you may be truly happy. I hope so!!

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000