Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 The Price of Oil

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fluffy Posted - 10/25/2002 : 06:52:53 AM
Well the other nite I had the priveledge of seeing Billy Bragg perform at the 9:30 Club. I actually went because his back-up for the evening was Ian McLagen from my fave band The Faces. They even did one Faces song, one of my faves, Debris. It was awesome, it brought tears to my eyes. Billy, in usual fashion, preached between songs making me wish someone had been recording the show. Anyway, at one point, he introduced his newest song, "The Price of Oil". After playing it to a standing ovation, he thru burned copies out to the audience and instructed them to get the message out there, NO WAR, by getting his song out on the internet. It was recorded for a benefit album that has yet to come out and will probably only come out in England. I was not one of the lucky ones who got a copy of the CD, but after pulling a few strings with his manager, I acquired a copy. I have been playing it endlessly since I recieved it. I have decided to share it here with you. I wish I new how to post it on the web, but as we all I know I am computer illiterate. Luckily others have posted it. Links after the lyrics will take you to it so you all can hear it as well. It is a very pretty acoustic song with sparse percussion in the background. VERY NICELY DONE. Here are the lyrics:

Voices on the radio
Tell us that we're going to war
Those brave men and women in uniform
They want to know what they're fighting for

The generals want to hear the end game
The allies won't approve the plan
But the oil men in the White House
They just don't give a damn

(chorus)
Cause it's all about the Price of Oil
It's all about the Price of Oil
Don't give me no shit about the blood, sweat, tears and toil

Now I ain't no fan of Saddam Hussein
Oh please don't get me wrong
If it's freeing the Iraqi people your after
Then why have we waited so long

Why didn't we sort this out last time
Was he less evil then than he is now
The stock market holds the answer
To why him, why here, why now

(repeat chorus)

Saddam killed his own people
Just like General Pinochet
And once upon a TIMe both these evil men
Were supported by the USA

It's whispered even Bin Laden
Once drank from Americas cup
Just like that election down in Florida
This shit doesn't all add up

(repeat chorus)

Links to hear the song:

http://home.attbi.com/~itaylor/tmp/Billy_Bragg_-_The_Price_of_Oil.mp3

http://www.jungle.ca/ThePriceOfOil.mp3

SPREAD THE WORD and spread the song. Billy wants it that way!!

A little side note, I got to meet and hang out with Ian McLagen for a while, which was quite a priviledge for such a huge Faces fan as myself. He regaled me with stories of his daze with The Faces and told me about a 4 CD box set of The Faces he is working on for Rhino Records. I can't wait. He was very nice and personable, he reminded me very much of an English version of TR. TR would have really liked what Billy had to say all thru his show. I tried to get TR a t-shirt, but they didn't have any in his size(SMALL), so his manager told me to email here and she would send me a small for TR. I thought that was very nice of her. She was wonderful by the way, here name is as unique as mine, Mushi. Anyway, enjoy the song, spread the message, STOP THE WAR.
36   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KevinLesko Posted - 04/14/2003 : 02:59:58 AM
Just thought I'd share that I burned a few cds with random songs on it to play at work, and I included Price Of Oil on there, so despite the numerous "s-bombs" it still gets very good airplay in my store.
PJK Posted - 02/18/2003 : 3:51:13 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2003/02/11/pf/saving/oil_quiz/

I totally flunked this one. Almost got 2 right but went for different answers. Oh well.
PJK Posted - 01/22/2003 : 07:09:28 AM
Too bad the Congo doesn't have oil. A flu epidemic there has killed over 2,000 people but we barely hear anything about it. The four month long epidemic has infected 100,000! If that happened in the US or Europe it would be front page news.

The country's 4 years of war has killed over 2.5 million mostly due to hunger and disease. But no one cares because it doesn't effect us. Wonder how that would change if they found out it was a country rich in oil?

Fluffy Posted - 01/11/2003 : 06:25:13 AM
I brought this back to the top, it seemed apropos given Evergreen's new topic:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3012
Fluffy Posted - 01/03/2003 : 01:37:06 AM
I took a stand in high school about registering for the "selective service". We were required to register for it in case of a draft situation. I wholeheartedly refused as this goes against every fiber of my being. Being required to serve in the military against your wishes, beliefs or convictions. WRONG!! I refused to register and the hounded me about it threating to imprison me if I did not register. Keep in mind, in there infinite wisdom, they were threating to lock me up the whole TIMe I was an actual member of the US Army. I had joined of my own free will, as we should all have the freedom to do or not to do, and the whole TIMe I was in the Army, they continually contacted me threating to lock me up if I did not register with selective service. I had decided if they ever pressed the matter I would show up in court in my uniform and explain exactly how I felt registering was unconstitutional and that if they didn't agree with me they could lock me up and throw away the key and they could explain to the Army why I couldn't finish my enlistment as I was enslaved in the prison system for failing to register for the selective service. Does anyone else see the irony in the whole situation. Our govt needs to pull it's head out of it's ass and join the real world. They are so lost in a world of paper shuffling, rules and regulations they can't see the forest for the trees. Needless to say, I served my TIMe and never did register for the selective service. I was listed as a conscientious objector the whole TIMe I was serving in the Army. How silly is that. HEHE Govt, PFFFFFFF!!!!
PJK Posted - 01/02/2003 : 06:54:28 AM
Thank goodness nothing bad happened New Years Eve! I did hear something about the possibility of reinstating the draft! I am not at all for this and I am assuming most of you feel the same way since you are or soon will be eligible for it. Just another thing to think about! And another reason to spread the word that we don't want to go to war.....with Iraq or North Korea. (funny how Bush's tune changes when it comes to North Korea....)
Dickey500 Posted - 12/31/2002 : 12:33:40 PM
OK, the body bag thing is just creepy...but I agree about the 5 guys and their ability to raise the pulses of those of us who care to pay attention. 5 guys, close to NYE, with threats coming at us from all over the world. I'm glad I'm hiding out in NJ for NYE. I've also been thinking about places to move to that would be safer than the US. I've come up with: Madagascar and Neptune.
PJK Posted - 12/31/2002 : 09:55:01 AM
Join the crowd. I haven't felt very safe for as long as I can remember! To answer your question, I too am nervous about the world situation. Now that the FBI is looking for those 5 men "just to talk to them" I am even more nervous....mostly for New Years Eve celebrations. I know from a friend who works for the city of New York that they had thousands of body bags ordered for News Years Eve 2000....thank god they didn't need them, and hopefully they won't this year either.
Dickey500 Posted - 12/30/2002 : 11:49:30 PM
Is anyone else getting genuinely nervous about the current world situtation? It seems like our leaders are wandering around the world, poking countries with a cattle prod. We've got troops all over the middle east fighting the "war on terror" (whatever the hell that means), soon we're gonna have troops all over Iraq, and I have little doubt that there will be some sort of action taken against North Korea in the near future. For the first time in my short 25 years on this planet, I don't feel very safe being here.
rhymsesthecat Posted - 12/30/2002 : 4:34:10 PM
good song
but there are some parts i dont completely agree with
PJK Posted - 12/26/2002 : 7:35:01 PM
Hey Kevin....thanks for posting that site! I am particularly interested in the "Things we can do" list. I am going to put some of those into action. Fluffy was right when he said if we all do something, we can make a difference.
KevinLesko Posted - 12/26/2002 : 4:20:31 PM
Here is a cool link I found off Michael Moore's website that fits this topic... whoa, there is a concept... replying ON TOPIC! Has that ever been done this far down?

anyways, check it out: http://www.earthtobush.com/
PJK Posted - 12/22/2002 : 2:24:47 PM
I was in Boarders Book store today and I turned a copy of William Pitts "War on Iraq, what team Bush doesn't want you to know" around so it was facing forward and hopefully get noticed! hehehe

Now to look at Barnes and Nobel's hehe
KevinLesko Posted - 12/21/2002 : 4:48:23 PM
Arg, I stopped by Barnes and Noble last night and their computer showed that they should have had the book in stock, but noone could find it! I think Bush REALLY doesnt want me to know what is in there, he must have stolen them. On a positive note though, while looking in the current events section, I picked up a copy of "Media Control" by Noam Chompsky and ended up buying that, only 8 bucks! Looks good so far.
KevinLesko Posted - 12/20/2002 : 11:59:48 PM
sheesh... check out this review one guy gave the War Iraq Plan book. I'd like to have an intellegent debate wih this guy!

We have to wait to be attacked before we can do anything at all is the lesson of this book. Even then, with minimal efforts at deniability by Iraq to aid to anti-western terrorists, Chomsky et al would still oppose the war.

Ony a small fraction of the US is even aware that Chomsky exists, and of that fraction few regard him as sensible.

On the other hand, this book might be an interesting historical footnote when people look back and wonder that anyone opposed the war.
KevinLesko Posted - 12/20/2002 : 11:30:56 PM
Man, did you guys all catch Bush's quote the other day about the war having nothing to do with oil??? I think Condeleeza Rice actually had to get up and whisper something in his ear.

Thanks for the book recomendation. I'm going out to the movies tonight to see Adaptation and I think now I'll stop by the book store and look for that. I'll need another book to read during my break since I'm almost gonna be finished with "Stupid White People" Michael Moore's latest book, which I will get to in another post.
Fluffy Posted - 12/20/2002 : 06:14:00 AM
I read the book as well on my vacation. It is a quick read. I read it in one sitting. Very interesting. I knew alot of the facts and history they brought up, but I never knew how it was all so sinisterly tied together. I highly recommend everyone check it out. Even if you know very little about the middle east situation of the past 30 years, this book lays it out in a very easy to read fashion so even a dolt like me could understand it. Very scary stuff. As for the peace rally your daughter talked about, it was probably the same day as TR's show at the Peace Rally in NM. Dec. 10th is Human Rights day and there were protests scheduled all across the country in support.

Hey enthuTIMsiast, as a suggestion, may I encourage you to make your amazon.com purchases thru the link provided:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search?tag=timreynoloffi-20&keyword=Tim%20Reynolds&mode=music

Seems TR has a contract with MusicToday that precludes us using links to Amazon.com for TR purchases, but if you purchase ANY CD's or anything thru the link I have provided, TR still gets a kickback from any purchases of anything made thru our website so we can still kick some back to the charities TR supports. Thanx in advance for supporting good causes while buying stuff.

OH YES, and how about a........................
FLAMING MOE!!!!
PJK Posted - 12/19/2002 : 3:50:39 PM
Everyone should read William Pitts War ON Iraq What Team Bush Doesn't Want You To Know.....It is a real eye opener. I knew about a lot of the things, but there was plenty more that shocked the hell out of me!

I am writing to my congressmen and senators again....and begging them to read the book!!!!

My daughter works at Starbucks and she said there was a peace rally in front of the shop last week. At first they thought someone was picketing Starbucks, but they were protesting a possible war. She said she was ticked though because she said all they did was march, and she thought they should have handed out some flyers or something.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/18/2002 : 8:04:01 PM
Well I'm not going to knock that... I'm about to make an amazon.com purchase soon, I think. Don't know, however... Having trouble deciding what to order. Don't know that I need any new cds (altho I'll probably get the new SYOAD cd).. ordering the sisters christmas from there, most likely.

So don't feel bad... you might order twice as much as me, but then again, you probably make twice as much as me, too. So I guess we're even.
PJK Posted - 12/18/2002 : 7:52:52 PM
Yes....
I bought William Pitt's War On Iraq What Team Bush Doesn't Want You to Know

This won't be a gift....stocking stuffer maybe...only 77 pages so I will read it tonight...but expensive!!!! If anyone wants to read it e-mail me your address and I will mail it when I'm finished...it cost $8.95!!!! Noam's pretty pricey too but I am not parting with those!!!

For the record I don't always spend like this...just someTIMes and now is one of those TIMes...hehehe

Guess I shouldn't tell you I just bought a membership for the Philadephia Orchestra!!! Going to 3 concerts in the winter/ spring and I will be able to attend 4 rehersals during the year!
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/18/2002 : 6:58:51 PM
Jeez, you really do like to buy things, don't you?
PJK Posted - 12/18/2002 : 5:01:00 PM
Thanks...should have TIMe to read a bit between Christmas and New Years. "War on Iraq: What Team Bush Doesn't Want You TO Know" sounds good....Is this terrible...I think I will see if I can pick it up tonight, read it over the next few days and give it as a present to my dad, or someone????? Bad right????? I got something else for him this would just be an added thing...hehehe

Just bought 2 more Noam Chomsky books:
"Parosperous Few and the Restless Many"
" Secrets Lies and Deorcracy"
Fluffy Posted - 12/18/2002 : 04:12:17 AM
2 more book suggestions to add:

From TR and myself, I read this after TR recommended it and now I recommend it as well.

"War On Iraq:What Team Bush Doesn't Want You To Know"
by William Rivers Pitt & SCOTT RITTER(the former UN Weapons Inspector WE all thought would end up dead)

ALSO:

"War Plan Iraq:Ten Reasons Against War On Iraq"
by Milan Rai and Noam Chomsky
Fluffy Posted - 12/02/2002 : 10:23:52 PM
Still more reading to do. Lots of reading to do!!!
PJK Posted - 11/29/2002 : 07:42:32 AM
Ooooh, kept missing this one....I will read them later
Fluffy Posted - 11/28/2002 : 9:27:17 PM
Very interesting stuff, I especially liked:

The attitude of President George W. Bush and of his Administration officials towards world affairs in general and towards Europe in particular, is markedly different from that of the previous Democratic Administration of President Clinton.

There has been a replacement of the Clinton "consensus building" approach by a more isolationist George W. Bush "America First" approach.

It may not be palatable to European leaders, but the fact is that the George W Bush Administration follows the neoconservative might is right school of foreign affairs which has its own attitude to Europe.

Power & Weakness - Why the United States and Europe See the World Differently - Robert Kagan, Policy Review June/July 2002

When it comes to setting national priorities, determining threats, defining challenges, and fashioning and implementing foreign and defense policies, the United States and Europe have parted ways.

Europe, because of its unique historical experience of the past half-century — culminating in the past decade with the creation of the European Union — has developed a set of ideals and principles regarding the utility and morality of power different from the ideals and principles of Americans, who have not shared that experience.

Today’s transatlantic problem, in short, is not a George Bush problem. It is a power problem. American military strength has produced a propensity to use that strength. Europe’s military weakness has produced a perfectly understandable aversion to the exercise of military power. Indeed, it has produced a powerful European interest in inhabiting a world where strength doesn’t matter, where international law and international institutions predominate, where unilateral action by powerful nations is forbidden, where all nations regardless of their strength have equal rights and are equally protected by commonly agreed-upon international rules of behavior.

THE REST OF THE WORLD SEEMS TO HATE US, WHY SHOULDN'T EUROPE. OUR GOVT DOES NOT DO ALOT TO INSTILL WARM, FUZZY FEELINGS IN OUR GLOBAL NEIGHBORS.
Fleabass76 Posted - 11/22/2002 : 12:30:52 AM
Here's a link to some of what our British friends think of America under Dubya.

http://www.eurolegal.org/uspubpol.htm

And what canada thinks:
http://www.canada.com/national/story.asp?id=3B270089-BAC7-428D-91A0-785CF30C08D7
PJK Posted - 11/21/2002 : 07:26:38 AM
Never did tell you, thanks! Your words were well spoken and I am glad I listened!
Fluffy Posted - 11/20/2002 : 1:04:50 PM
Hey PJK, glad you understood what I was trying to say. I was afraid it may have sounded like I was attacking you, which I WAS NOT. It is kinda like that old shampoo commercial. I tell 2 people and they tell 2 people, and so on and so on. HEHE Long before you were a member of the board(or maybe back while you were lurking) I had a long back and forth post with a member named Isaac. As I pointed out to Isaac then, I am not interested in people taking my word for anything. I happily suggest people investigate for themselves and figure out what THEY believe. I just offer info that folks may have overlooked that may help make them make a more well-informed decision. I am glad you are reading and I hope you will always tell people how you feel. As you have begun to learn thanx to my comments, someone else may learn from some info you share with them. Unfortunately, most people are not willing to listen or even investigate viewpoints contradictory to their own. This makes it hard to share info with others. It is always wonderful when someone is willing to take the TIMe to investigate on their own. Whether they agree with me in the end or not is not important to me, the fact that they have made their decision based on the most info available is what makes me truly happy. I feel they can argue their point more responsibly and their point is considered more valid in my mind, even if it does not agree with mine. I am more willing to have a discussion with someone who knows the issues than just spouts their beliefs with nothing to back it up. Someone who understands my side of the discussion even if they don't agree is a much more worthwhile discussion. People who just spout their beliefs without any knowledge of the opposition is very much like the kid who says "LA LA LA LA LA, I'm not listening to you!!!" It is pointless. I want people to speak out. It is the only way to change things. If everyone sits at home quietly believeing what they believe and not telling others about how they feel nothing will ever change. And boy could we use some positive change in the world we live in today. Glad you took the TIMe to read my response and didn't take it personally. It is just frustrating for me to hear people say they don't think they can change things. Yes, no one of us is going to change things, but all of us together can. Everyone needs to take an interest in the world around us and what our govt does on our behalf. Otherwise, who do we blame when things are fucked up. It is easy to blame the govt, but doesn't some of the fault lie with us for not speaking up and letting them do what they want? Glad you are getting involved and glad you are reading Noam. Hopefully, you will see the situation that we are in and will find some ways of your own to change things and make others aware. Glad you are here and look forward to hearing lots more from you in the future.
PJK Posted - 11/05/2002 : 02:04:50 AM
Fluffy, this has been on my mind since you posted it. Reading Rogue States really is changing my mind or should I say opening it.

I'm sorry about the comment about talk being cheap, I think I just get extremely frustrated when I feel I am not doing all I can about world problems. It was more a comment directed at my own inadequacies.

I feel the same way about my job. I work with so many at-risk kids and while it is greatly rewarding when I make a difference in their lives, it is much more frustrating to have so many more I can't reach! And there never seems to be a short supply of kids in danger. Worst part is I have to get out of the field altogether because I can't afford to keep working there.

I just wanted to say, I am thankful Billy is out there singing his message because like you said, it gets people to take action. Through your post, he sure as hell got my attention and I have written to my conressman and senators! Hope it makes a difference!
PJK Posted - 10/28/2002 : 2:59:55 PM
Fluffy, I stand corrected, I didn't mean to sound down on this, I guess the whole idea of war and government just drive me crazy. I really don't want a war, especially since my son and others I love are the ones who could be fighting it, but at the same time I don't trust Iraq. What bothers me is, what is the truth???Truth is perspective and whoes do we believe? Why do we believe Billy any more than we believe Bush????Is it because we want to believe what Billy says or we already feel that way so it makes sense to go that route???? I know my dad did some work in the 60's with the CIA and although it was many years ago I don't think the fact that reg. people don't get much of the information has changed.
I don't want to blindly follow Bush, or Colin Powell and it scares the shit out of me to even think of trusting them but I am also afraid of the consequenses to mankind if they do develop weapons of mass destruction and we didn't do anything about it. I am just really confused by all of it.
Fluffy Posted - 10/28/2002 : 08:29:33 AM
So are you suggesting we stop talking about it? I think we need to have more people TALK about it and speak their minds and convince these folks in power that they are NOT acting on OUR behalf. Which is what they want the public to believe. If enuf people voice their disapproval the tide will turn, I believe that. Problem with the 60's is the people who were speaking out were unfortunately a part of the population that was looked down upon for the most part so it was easy to play them as the fools. We need people from all walks of life telling them they aren't happy about WAR. Word on the street whenever I talk to someone is they don't want it to happen, but just thinking that won't be any show of support. Emails, letters to your congressman and senators. Inundate them with anti-war correspondence. They will be scared to back the asshole in power screaming for war if all their constituents tell them we won't back you if you support this thing. Talk is cheap, Action speak louder than words, but words move people to action.
PJK Posted - 10/28/2002 : 07:49:05 AM
I am probably going to be late for work but what the heck. I think it's great when people speak their minds, I am not into political correctness all though I do think there are ways of saying things that don't have to offend everyone. Billy seems pretty amazing, but talk is talk and as they say it is cheap. What we do is what really matters and I honestly don't know what to do about some issues. Getting his song out is great but I don't think wars are averted because people speak against it. I guess it's because I come from the era of protest against Vietnam and my friends still died there.
Fluffy Posted - 10/28/2002 : 07:26:39 AM
That is way kewl, Billy Bragg is definitely at the top of the heap. He is so outspoken, I love that about him. He is not afraid to tell it as he sees it. As he was spouting off about the world bank at the show, somebody from the audience yelled "BULLSHIT" and he challenged them to come up and argue his points point by point. Of course they declined, but Billy managed to work the word Bullshit into about every song from that point forward, at least where it was appropriate. Billy, YOU DA MAN!!!
KevinLesko Posted - 10/25/2002 : 5:27:08 PM
Thanks for posting that... cool tune with a hell of a message. I'll definately be passing that along to a coworker of mine who is a huge fan, and who just recently informed me of how political they are. Actually a proffesor came in to the store and he said he was looking for an artist that isnt too popular that people who are "in the know" as he put it would reccomend for social messages and she immediated pointed him towards Wilco and Billy Bragg.
Fluffy Posted - 10/25/2002 : 07:29:49 AM
Here is another Billy Bragg song I am quite fond of:

IDEOLOGY

When one voice rules the nation
Just because they're on top of the pile
Doesn't mean their vision is the clearest
The voices of the people
Are falling on deaf ears
Our politicians all become careerists
They must declare their interests
But not their company cars
Is there more to a seat in parliament