Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Thanks

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
IndianaJames Posted - 09/29/2002 : 02:10:38 AM
I know I post here rarely, but I check the boards everyday, seeing whats going on in here. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all their opinions, reviews, pictures, music, etc. This is THE best online community I have ever come across. I am a frequent visitor to the DMB message boards, where everyone fights over every issue possibly known to man.

I especially want to say thanks to Fluffy for giving us all insight from a perspective that none of us will ever have. It's rare in the music business to find someone who cares so deeply about creating a bridge between audience and artist, a connection that goes unmatched by any other band I've ever come across.

IIn my years in newspapers I've come across some of the most popular musicians, whether it's interviewing them or writing a review of their show. I had the fortunate opportunity to interview Mr. Reynolds on Easter Sunday of 2001. We have so much in common that we just talked for awhile before I even got into the questions I had prepared. Like TR, my father was also stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany and like TR, I also spent part of my life in the desert southwest.

TR, his road crew, and his fans are some of the best people I've met in my life. It's rare that I am moved by music that is so powerful it requires no lyrics. I'm speaking personally of "Entity", my favorite TR song. The one question I forgot to ask TR in my interview was "How can you convey such a deep emotion simply through the power of music without having to rely on lyrics?" I wanted to ask this because, as I listen to the radio driving to and from work, I am bombarded with "music" that contains the most banal, cliche lyrics I've ever heard. How many times does an artist feel the need to use the terms "I need you, I can't live without you" in a song? To me, "Entity" is one of the greatest love songs I've ever heard. Don't get me wrong, the song is completely open to anyone's interpretation (again, another positive aspect of this stellar community), but to me, I envision an incredibly deep relationship with another human being (hence, "Entity"). I picture my girlfriend at dawn, just waking up.

The whole point it, not that I need to spell it out for you all, is that TR creates something that moves people without even having to use modern language. Never before have I encountered that with any other musician. In an age where we're inundated with lyrics like "I want to run through the halls of my high school, I want to scream at the top of my lungs, I just found out there's no such thing as a real world, Just the lies we have to rise above" I am happy to be alive in a time where some artists recognize the brilliance of pure music.

Again, thanks for being such a welcoming community. I try my best to post as often as I can, but working for a newspaper requires a lot of time and I rarely get a chance to say what I want to say on here. I'm hoping to make it to the Muncie, IN concert, but it's looking doubtful. Hope you all continue to enjoy many fine performances, as well as unparalleled music.

Until next time-
James

27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pcbTIM Posted - 10/28/2002 : 2:15:47 PM
[pcbdmb: Shut up!]
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 10/28/2002 : 1:34:42 PM
Jason: I can stop when I want to...

[My_Bad_Side: No you can't.]

DAMNIT, there's that voice again...
Fluffy Posted - 10/28/2002 : 09:21:47 AM
Addicts gotta want to quit, you can't make them if they don't want to. If the addiction is serious enuf even and intervention won't help. I think we may be way beyond saving these 2. I think we may have lost them to the seedy underbelly of post whoring.
pcbTIM Posted - 10/24/2002 : 12:19:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Fleabass76

I think you're all enabling each other...maybe it's time for an intervention...

No thanks....but thanks.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 10/24/2002 : 12:14:40 AM
Guess it worked.
Fleabass76 Posted - 10/23/2002 : 11:17:22 PM
I think you're all enabling each other...maybe it's time for an intervention...
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 10/23/2002 : 8:39:50 PM
No it's true...esp with you on at the same time as me....I can't keep up.
pcbTIM Posted - 10/23/2002 : 01:29:20 AM
Bullshit.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 10/23/2002 : 12:59:35 AM
Nah, I'm just getting broken back in. I'm struggling.
Fluffy Posted - 10/22/2002 : 11:24:46 PM
Post whoring appears to be like riding a bike, HEHE.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 10/20/2002 : 1:58:24 PM
Hey hey hey, that wasn't my rule ...
pcbTIM Posted - 10/20/2002 : 03:18:30 AM
Now you're just making up rules to fit your addiction.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 10/20/2002 : 01:31:48 AM
You could say that. But this isn't in the "TRelated Topics" section, so I believe that it's alright.
pcbTIM Posted - 10/19/2002 : 11:08:56 PM
..........you just don't want to stop now, right?
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 10/19/2002 : 7:23:57 PM
quote:
Start post-whoring and you won't be able to stop

That's not true. I can stop whenever I want to.
Fluffy Posted - 10/09/2002 : 02:55:51 AM
Well James, that is a WONDERFUL post(as if you haven't heard that enuf already). Thanx for the glowing compliments, it is always wonderful to hear that your(in this case, my)efforts are appreciated. Way back when, I was just a fan and would have given anything to have the kind of access to the artists I loved that I try and provide for fans of TR. TR is a very special person and artist and I respect his approach and the person that he is in such a way that I want to share that with the world. To know the things that make your fave musician tick. To understand him that much better. These are the things I try to share since I have such a priveledged position as friend and road manager for TR. As for your comments about him conveying himself so well instrumentally and your question,"How can you convey such a deep emotion simply through the power of music without having to rely on lyrics?", I say it is one of the things that I most admire most about TR. His ability to convey his soul(or emotions)thru his instrument however HE choses to do that. Because he creates music for himself, from his soul, I think he finds that OM in himself, that is in all of us and touches us in thru that. The beautiful thing is that it touches so many of us in such different ways, yet we all are listening to the same thing. His music speaks to each of us in it's own way, maybe for different reasons or stirring different emotions in each of us, but his music finds that OM in all of us and speaks to each of us. We may interpret it differently but the neat thing is we are all touched by it in some way and that is a pretty amazing thing. I typed something earlier in another post but I think it applies here as well. Ironically, the discussion was about TR instrumental vs TR with vocals but alot of my comments are well suited to this post as well. Here is the link to the other topic if you want to check it out:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2284

And here are my comments from that post:
quote:
It is true that TR makes music FOR HIMSELF and just hopes others like what he does. His goal is not to make millions or even create a larger fan base for himself. That is my job. HEHE His goal is create the art that is inside him. If he picks up some fans along the way that is just a bonus. Luckily he is in a position where he can do whatever his soul feels. He has no major label telling him what to record next, when and where to tour(at the expense of his family). Telling him fans cannot record the shows, telling him he cannot release a free CD or 2 on his website if he feels so inclined. TR has it pretty good. He is free to DO IT HIS WAY and that is a pretty wonderful thing. Yes he could probably sell out and get a label deal and do all the things record labels tell him to do to make more money, but that is not what TR wants. Or worse yet(in my humble estimation)he could tour endlessly strumming the acoustic guitar and playing Stream nite after nite and make lots of cash, but would he be happy? NO!! That is part of the dynamic of why TR is so wonderful to see. He is incredibly happy doing whatever he is doing at any given moment and if he wasn't, I truly believe that would show in the performaces and I never want to see that TR perform. I respect his approach to his craft, his honesty in his music, and his ability to make others incredibly happy while being true to himself and his art. That is a pretty amazing gift and you don't see it to often these days. Artists who are true to their art and themselves and nothing else, not slaves to the industry they are a part of. Everyone knows TR could use any number of formulas to make himself bigger, but what I respect about him is that he doesn't. He stays true to himself and his art, that is a very rare thing these days.

Thanx again for the kind words and the support. I hope we see you in Muncie. If it isn't to much trouble, I would love to see the interview you did with TR. Could you email me a copy?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
SpaceMonkey Posted - 10/07/2002 : 2:16:35 PM
That's a fine post alright...who needs lyrics?! With TIM, there are No Other Words!

PJK Posted - 10/07/2002 : 07:03:50 AM
Damn and I tried so hard...Ha Ha

pcbTIM Posted - 10/07/2002 : 05:09:27 AM
quote:

"Ditto"....now that's post-whoring at its finest!

I've seen better.

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
PJK Posted - 10/06/2002 : 10:51:46 PM
"Ditto"....now that's post-whoring at its finest!(But it's all been said and I agree. Thanks James!)

Erich with an h Posted - 10/06/2002 : 3:13:53 PM
youve summed up why i like this place and tims music better than all the other borads I go to. so yeah, thank you, and stick around

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
ChaosView, the new Tim Reynolds tour archive
{=HTG=} Posted - 10/06/2002 : 3:07:12 PM
We do what we can.

"Oh come on boy think-what would Jesus do? He'd shake his head like an angry mother Smoke the boy and said I did what I could do." DMB-Raven
SourGirl Posted - 10/06/2002 : 03:56:34 AM
I can't wait until the Muncie show, I've been rambling about it on here for the last month, it just seems so far away. I hope to see you there, there's nothing like a bunch of TIM fans getting together and watching one of the greatest musicians play. And plus I've never met anyone off of here, so I'm really excited about that.

"Loneliness...is and always has been the center and inevitable experience of every man." -Thomas Wolfe
pcbTIM Posted - 09/30/2002 : 12:08:39 AM
Yeah! Probably the reason you don't post as often is because your posts are so long. Start post-whoring and you won't be able to stop!

But either way, it's good to have you aBOARD.

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Captain Petersburgh Posted - 09/29/2002 : 7:39:41 PM
yeah hope u find TIme to post more james....oh and u need to work on the post-whoring. heh.

A nice word and a gun will get you alot farther than just a nice word
tericee Posted - 09/29/2002 : 5:33:57 PM
That's one of the coolest posts ever. I'm so proud of my big brother.

teri

I'm walking for Alzheimer's! Memory Walk sponsors click here:
https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=3898&lis=1&supId=1274679
Silky The Pimp Posted - 09/29/2002 : 12:02:29 PM
Well said. I wish you would come around a little more often. :)

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000