Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Bill "Buddha" Dickens

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
victorwootenfan Posted - 09/14/2002 : 8:22:16 PM
check this crazy ass bass player out!! http://www.billthebuddhadickens.com he's on the level of wooten!! possibly better! plays a 7 and a 9 string bass!!!

"Set the gear shift to the high gear of your soul, you gotta run like an antelope, out of control" -Dude of Life
44   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fluffy Posted - 10/28/2002 : 07:55:50 AM
You would definitely know better than us.
pcbTIM Posted - 10/25/2002 : 4:49:58 PM
But that only takes up part of the ride.
victorwootenfan Posted - 10/25/2002 : 2:09:54 PM
or you could blow your nose with the hanky, instead of pick it!
Fluffy Posted - 10/25/2002 : 09:31:01 AM
Besides picking your nose?
pcbTIM Posted - 10/25/2002 : 08:39:12 AM
Well we got to have something to do on the bus!
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 10/25/2002 : 08:37:08 AM
I think they teach that on the shortbus.
Fluffy Posted - 10/25/2002 : 07:22:33 AM
Did they teach you to weave baskets at the asylum?

"Where basket weavers sit and smile
and twiddle their thumbs and toes
And they're coming to take me away, HAHA!"
pcbTIM Posted - 10/25/2002 : 06:12:38 AM
I think you're just a basketcase.
Fluffy Posted - 10/25/2002 : 04:51:12 AM
Would you then have to call it a basskerchief?
victorwootenfan Posted - 10/24/2002 : 4:42:11 PM
Or you could use it to put it beneath the strings on a bass!!! hahaha
Fluffy Posted - 10/23/2002 : 12:35:07 AM
VWF commented:
quote:
handkercheif(that's not spelled right)
Close but the "i" comes before "e".

Derived from kerchief:

Main Entry: ker·chief
Pronunciation: 'k&r-ch&f, -"chEf
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural kerchiefs /-ch&fs, -"chEfs/ also ker·chieves /-"chEvz/
Etymology: Middle English courchef, from Old French cuevrechief, from covrir to cover + chief head —more at CHIEF
Date: 13th century
1 : a square of cloth used as a head covering or worn as a scarf around the neck
2 : HANDKERCHIEF 1
- ker·chiefed /-ch&ft, -"chEft/ adjective

As it pertains to the HAND:

Main Entry: hand·ker·chief
Pronunciation: 'ha[ng]-k&r-ch&f, -(")chif, -"chEf
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -chiefs also hand·ker·chieves /-ch&fs, -(")chifs, -"chEvz, -"chEfs, -ch&vz, -(")chivz/
Date: 1530
1 : a small usually square piece of cloth used for usually personal purposes (as blowing the nose) or as a clothing accessory
2 : KERCHIEF 1

victorwootenfan Posted - 10/21/2002 : 8:51:27 PM
I only tapped it's body a few times with my thumb, it wasn't even a one-night stand!!
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 10/20/2002 : 8:24:28 PM
Well then, there you go.
victorwootenfan Posted - 10/20/2002 : 7:01:18 PM
welll when i cheated on my bass with a 2500 dollar Tobias once...She got jealous
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 10/20/2002 : 1:26:09 PM
I can imagine that it would help. But I don't know...just seems pretty ... something. I can't think of the word right now.. Impersonal, that's it. I like for my instruments to always make the best music they can (with me at the helm) and I don't feel that's possible with cords under the strings. It just seems demeaning to my guitar.

And I know that's silly, but have you ever pissed your guitar off?
victorwootenfan Posted - 10/20/2002 : 1:01:09 PM
i actually attempted to do that technique using a handkercheif(that's not spelled right) under the strings in both positions. it really is a workout, depending on where it is located. i haven't did it much but what little practice i did with it seemed to help.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 10/19/2002 : 5:55:47 PM
Did everybody see the practicing technique this guy (Buddah Dickens, that is)? He puts ropes or chords or strings under the strings to space them out more, then practices like that, with the strings muted and well off the fretboard. I understand it, but I'll bet that's a bitch to do. I imagine that'd be about like practicing on a steel string acoustic all the time so that you can play on an electric...
victorwootenfan Posted - 10/16/2002 : 10:30:40 PM
i'm responding to the post on that topic right now in fact.

"Set the gear shift to the high gear of your soul, you gotta run like an antelope, out of control" -Dude of Life
Fluffy Posted - 10/16/2002 : 04:10:55 AM
Hey VWF, did you see my other post that mentions John Patitucci?

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2560

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
victorwootenfan Posted - 10/15/2002 : 7:19:27 PM
i have the live cd "footprints" with wayne shorter's band. John Pattitucci plays bass on it. very good musician, i hear that he's like the first call for jazz recordings in the bass department. he's pretty fucking good!

Fluffy Posted - 10/14/2002 : 03:33:11 AM
And also John Patitucci, but I will talk more about that in another post SOON!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
victorwootenfan Posted - 10/12/2002 : 9:13:36 PM
i've only heard aboot rob wasserman, and the cd store local to me has what i think is his most recent cd, but i'll def. check the feller out. i keep seeing him in bass ads for some electric upright bass though...

victorwootenfan Posted - 10/12/2002 : 9:13:35 PM
i've only heard aboot rob wasserman, and the cd store local to me has what i think is his most recent cd, but i'll def. check the feller out. i keep seeing him in bass ads for some electric upright bass though...

Fluffy Posted - 10/08/2002 : 9:11:07 PM
HMMMMMM, there was supposed to be a picture of a FLAMING MOE at the bottom of that post. What happened? Anyway, here is a kewl pic of Rob Wasserman, Chris Whitley and Les Claypool.

Hopefully that one worked and you are seeing the picture.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 10/08/2002 : 9:06:34 PM
Speaking of wicked bass players, Rob Wasserman is at 9:30 Club tonite with Ratdog. He is really amazing. He has done collaborations with a great many artists including:
CARNIE WIlSON & BRIAN WILSON
ELVIS COSTELLO & MARC RIBOT
BRUCE HORNSBY & BRANFORD MARSALIS
EDIE BRICKELL & JERRY GARCIA
WILLIE DIXON & AL DUNCAN
BOB WEIR & NEIL YOUNG
LES CLAYPOOL & CHRIS WHITLEY
Aaron Neville
Bobby McFerrin
Jennifer Warnes
Dan Hicks
Stephane Grappelli

That is quite a list of UNIQUE collaborations. I think that should tell you a little about the diversity and ability of Rob.
He has also played with Elvis Costello, Rickie Lee Jones and Lou Reed. I suggest checking out his CD's called "Solo", "Duos" and "Trios". Amazing stuff!!! You can check out his website for more info and some great pics.(No, I did not take them. HEHE)

http://www.robwasserman.com/wasserman.html

Check out the discography section for lots more info on the CD's I mentioned.

Oh and by the way, haven't seen one of these in a while, but isn't it about TIMe for a............

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
{=HTG=} Posted - 09/29/2002 : 12:12:59 AM
I'm having a hard time finding that cd too VWF. Mabye i'm just not looking hard enough.

"Oh come on boy think-what would Jesus do? He'd shake his head like an angry mother Smoke the boy and said I did what I could do." DMB-Raven
victorwootenfan Posted - 09/23/2002 : 8:56:19 PM
bill has a live 2-cd out with Neil Zaza and Bobby Rock that i think i'm gonna try to order entitled "Snap crackle and pop" i listened to seom 30 sec clips and it sounds good!!!!!

{=HTG=} Posted - 09/22/2002 : 10:24:02 PM
Hhhmmm, I never tried searching on Kazaa. I should give that a shot now.

"Oh come on boy think-what would Jesus do? He'd shake his head like an angry mother Smoke the boy and said I did what I could do." DMB-Raven
SourGirl Posted - 09/19/2002 : 10:53:04 AM
Kazaa has all kinds of stuff by him. I found a bass solo that was really bad. I went there to just download a couple songs but ended up downloading like 20. Oh well, I like his sound. He is very talented.

"Loneliness...is and always has been the center and inevitable experience of every man." -Thomas Wolfe
SourGirl Posted - 09/19/2002 : 10:39:30 AM
I tried to listen to it but it kept saying connecting then buffering then it would play 10 seconds and quit,I got tired of trying to hear it. So I'll just go to Kazaa and download it, if they have it. That might work faster. Who knows but its worth a try.

"Loneliness...is and always has been the center and inevitable experience of every man." -Thomas Wolfe
victorwootenfan Posted - 09/19/2002 : 10:32:36 AM
now with vic and bill, they are freaks as musicians, but Les is just a freak. if you ever hear him in an interview, he's the weirdest guy in the world. funny as shit, but weird!! yeah wooten should not sing, i don't like it, plus i don't like it. enough reasons right there!

{=HTG=} Posted - 09/19/2002 : 12:07:10 AM
Yes, including making the crowds ears bleed, haha.

Fleabass76 Posted - 09/18/2002 : 11:56:48 PM
When you're Victor Wooten you can do whatever the hell you want.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire.
{=HTG=} Posted - 09/18/2002 : 11:06:07 PM
quote:
To sing over the crap he's doing is muy muy dificil.

Your right on that. His bass solo on Tommy the Cat always floors me. But speaking of singing...who told Victor Wooten he had a good singing voice?

Fleabass76 Posted - 09/18/2002 : 10:59:54 PM
I would say Les has a very unique style. I'd say he's shy of Buddha or Vic, but he's still very talented. To sing over the crap he's doing is muy muy dificil.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire.
{=HTG=} Posted - 09/18/2002 : 9:53:59 PM
Less Claypool...talented, or just a bass freak like those too. I saw freak.

Fleabass76 Posted - 09/18/2002 : 7:55:23 PM
Of course, that's what makes them freaks.

{=HTG=} Posted - 09/18/2002 : 12:08:11 AM
Talented freaks nonetheless.

Fleabass76 Posted - 09/15/2002 : 9:57:13 PM
Bill is another freak the same as Vic. They're just not natural. Even though they've slaved away woodshedding all these crazy technique excersizes and shiz, they're still freaks.

victorwootenfan Posted - 09/15/2002 : 9:47:09 PM
and if you had a really really fast connection, you could download the 12 minute video on the site of wooten, dickens, steve bailey, oteil burbidge, and a bunch of other great musicians. damn... to have ethernet...or even a dsl...

{=HTG=} Posted - 09/15/2002 : 4:13:56 PM
I like the look of his signature bass, that 7 string. It's nice. But seeing him and Victor would have to be a treat. There diffrent styles would make one hell of a show.

victorwootenfan Posted - 09/15/2002 : 3:50:49 PM
one of the main reasons i checked the guy out was that victor wooten says he's really good, so then i saw him. he does a lot of differnent stuff than wooten, like he uses all 5 fingers on his right hand to pluck, slap, tap, or whatever. he has some stranger techniques, but if you hear some of his jazzier stuff on his sight, he shreds through the octaves(not slapping, just fingerstyle playing). i think he's def. good, not better that wooten, but def. good!

{=HTG=} Posted - 09/15/2002 : 12:23:07 AM
After watching some of this guys videos, I think Victor is better. Bill Dickens uses to much slapping, and aside from using a 7 string, there's nothing really special. What do you think VWF?

{=HTG=} Posted - 09/14/2002 : 10:06:01 PM
From what I'm looking at, it seems like that guy has some serious talent. I'm downloading one of his vidos, but my cable modem is going so ssslllllooooowwwwww.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000