Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 oh. man.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dan p. Posted - 06/19/2002 : 10:07:23 PM
http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/50613.htm

nuff said.

get in the car, little girl.
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fluffy Posted - 06/25/2002 : 04:10:17 AM
Rew and I saw that Xbox commercial on tour. I totally missed the skateboard the first TIMe I saw it. Rew was laughing his ass off. He was like "Didn't you see the skateboard up his ass?" NOPE so of course the commercial came on AGAIN about 10 minutes later(surprise surprise)and I couldn't believe I missed the skateboard. I don't think I have seen the wrestling one.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 06/25/2002 : 12:19:16 AM
Like that Xbox commercial where the guy gets the skateboard jammed halfway his ars...that's a good one. The wrestling one is better, tho...

-what-
dan p. Posted - 06/24/2002 : 5:08:21 PM
i just think that a lot of people have a stick jammed a considerable way up their ass. and it's time that these people loosened up a little bit.

get in the car, little girl.
Jamie M Posted - 06/24/2002 : 3:32:26 PM
Thanks Fluffy. I did laugh at the joke, for whatever that's worth.
I actually enjoy being the devil's advocate in most situations...But it can get harsh and no longer fun, so it's good to just take it easy sometimes.

Fluffy Posted - 06/24/2002 : 01:47:19 AM
Hey Jamie, thanx for bring up your viewpoints, that is one of the great things about this board, we can disagree about things and agree to disagree but we can always discuss. I love hearing alternate viewpoints on issues as it allows me to see a situation from a perspective I may have overlooked. I won't always agree, but I love the opportunity to brainstorm on ideas. By the way, the apology for the joke was a joke itself. I hope you didn't take it personally, I was just funnin' with ya. Also, I don't know if you know this, but the unpopular opinion is often referred to as "the devils advocate" position and I am someone who has often TIMes taken this stance on issues. It is usually an unpopular stance and so much respect goes out to you for standing your ground and not backing down in face of popular opinion. This is an admirable trait in my book. Keep it up.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fleabass76 Posted - 06/23/2002 : 10:23:20 PM
good ols supression...if we don't talk about it, it never happened...

"Women and rhythm section first."
Mr. Jaco Pastorius
Adopt your own useless blob!
pcbTIM Posted - 06/23/2002 : 5:26:40 PM
Oh my God! Some people are way too high strung. I'm sure that Starbuck's wanted to mock New York City. This is why I hate society. Because of the intolerance (for lack of a better work). I mean, I have not seen one picture or video of the actual event since the day it happened. It's like after showing you 5000 TIMes on that day and then never showing it again because it's too disturbing. Doesn't make any sense. A lot of the people who talk about it seem to have to wrong idea on how to deal with it. They say that we should move on with our lives (which is a good idea) but then they try to act like nothing happened. And then when something insignificant like a coffee ad comes up which slightly resembles the event, they shoot it down because they don't want to deal with it.

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Jamie M Posted - 06/23/2002 : 2:44:53 PM
quote:

Hey Jamie, just so it is clear, I am not speaking for everyone, I am just speaking for myself.

I know, it's just that everyone was agreeing with you. My post was more for them, I understand your position.
quote:
I feel horrible for them and would never make a joke about it to them

And that is really my point. They're the ones who really have to deal with it, not the rest of us, so the best thing for them is instead of trying to point at the terrorists and laugh(something that shows that terrorists are on our minds just as much as by fearing them), why not just ignore it completely.

Again, the whole thing has had very little effect on me. In fact I probably couldn't be less affected as someone living on this continent. There isn't even a close tie between me and anyone injured that day. But nevertheless, I'm arguing on behalf of them. And maybe I shouldn't be doing that, but it's too late, I've already stated my points.
In fact, my points are starting to be repeated, and I don't really want to continue repeating them, so I'll retire unless anyone wants a reply from me.

By the way Fluffy, don't apologize for jokes, you can say whatever you want, obviously. I'm by no means personally offended by anything in this thread, continue to joke as you like.

Fluffy Posted - 06/23/2002 : 1:42:35 PM
Thank you sir, may I have another?

Another what you may ask.

Why another of course!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 06/23/2002 : 12:44:36 PM
Thanx for the moral support. I am glad to see my thinking is not totally out of whack with the rest of the board. Evergreen brings up some very good points. I feel like as much as we espouse patriotism in this TIMe of tragedy, I feel like the whole country is living in fear. This is really ashame. I refuse to believe that a few little punk-ass terrorists can bring down this mighty nation. Lets not prove the terrorists right.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Evergreen Posted - 06/23/2002 : 11:00:37 AM
VERY well spoken Fluffy!!!
My job description changed drastically after 911. Being an environmental health nurse used to involve things like air quality both inside and outside the home, water quality, toxic substances like lead and radon abatement, swim water quality,etc. etc.
NOW it involves nuclear radiation, anthrax, and smallpox prevention. I can tell you from personal experience that our gov't and country are spending HUGE amounts of money on these efforts. Preparing rescue and public health workers like myself, for what? WE don't even know. We're running around scrambling all in the name of terrorists. EXACTLY what they want us to be doing. Spending all our resources "preparing". In the mean time all the regular "little" things are falling by the wayside. The little things that make us strong and healthy from within. I get the biggest kick out of George Bush's newest campaign to tell Americans they have to get healthy so we can be stronger for terrorists attacks! Might help if people had a livable wage or affordable health care!!!! I met a self employed single dad the other day who pays $5000 a year for his 2 daughters health insurance with a $10,000 deductable!!!! WHAT the FUCK! So what does that mean? We crumble and collapse from within. From overlooking the small things that is really our lifes blood.

Fluffy Posted - 06/23/2002 : 07:03:33 AM
therippa asked:
quote:
Here's the big question: are terrorists flying the dragon fly into the cups?

The terrorists wouldn't need to fly into cups,
they don't need any cups......................

BECAUSE THEY HAVE NOT DICKS!!!

Sorry for the joke Jamie, but I must continue to laugh!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 06/23/2002 : 07:00:36 AM
Hey Jamie, just so it is clear, I am not speaking for everyone, I am just speaking for myself. I had friends who died in the WTC and friends in the Pentagon when it was hit. I have one friend who was blinded in one eye from the Pentagon attack and he was only driving by it when it happened. I am very close to the actual attack and to victims. I feel horrible for them and would never make a joke about it to them or draw a picture like the ad in question and expect them to find it humorous. At the same time, if a comedian were to make a joke I would hope I could laugh at it for humor sake. I may still think it is in bad taste but I think laughter is part of a positive outlook and I definitely want to have a positive versus negative attitude about the whole thing. I refuse to walk around sobbing and feeling sorrow for eternity for the events of 911. I will never forget but as with everything in life I feel we must move on. Let the healing begin. A big part of the healing process for me is laughter. Not laughter at the poor unfortunates who suffered but the laughter that comes from not letting the terrorists take MY ability to laugh. I refuse to let them win. I will continue to be the person I was before the attacks and laughter and comedy are an integral part of my personality and my ultimate happiness. I refuse to let chickenshit terrorists take away my happiness. Yes I feel sorrow and pain for the people affected but I will not change because of the chickenshit terrorist attack. You make your own happiness in this life. If you choose to be a unhappy wreck, you will be. The terrorists have won.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
therippa Posted - 06/21/2002 : 4:19:26 PM
Here's the big question: are terrorists flying the dragon fly into the cups?

---------------
Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque

"I heard Tim stopped playing with Dave when he got pregnant"
Jamie M Posted - 06/21/2002 : 4:13:57 PM
quote:

I personally think that whoever designed this ad did so with Sept. 11 in mind. However, I don't think the people in charge of approving the campaign realized the similarity so I don't think the company is to blame, but probably just an individual or small group.

That's exactly what I think as well.

But back to my original point...you just can't joke this. I mean, the whole thing has had very little effect on me, so it's not like the terrorists are changing my life or anything. I still think exactly the same way as I ever did.
Personally, I think saying that we SHOULD be allowed to have ads about it because it expresses that we're better than to be affected by terrorists is just ignorant.

Just consider if someone you knew well had died in one of the Towers... Would you still be so passive about the ad? Think if you were walking down the street, still recovering from the death of your brother, for example, and you have to reminded by the advertising scheme of a coffee company... I can't even imagine.

dirtysloth Posted - 06/21/2002 : 12:58:57 PM
I personally think that whoever designed this ad did so with Sept. 11 in mind. However, I don't think the people in charge of approving the campaign realized the similarity so I don't think the company is to blame, but probably just an individual or small group. I definitely think its in pretty poor taste, but by no means should they be forced to take it down. It's called free speech and if that's how they want to advertise then I think they should be allowed to.

quote:
I don't think I would have ever noticed the similarities everyone is so quick to point out as so blantantly obvious

and
quote:
I never would have equated that ad to the WTC terrorist attack if not for that article

I agree. I might not have made the connection either. I still think it's more than just a coincidence though, but I won't say that it couldn't be.

genome Posted - 06/21/2002 : 12:13:23 PM

There's the pic...for those of you too lazy to look more than once, like me.

I'm with you Silky, I think it's probably just an unfortunate coincidence. I don't think Starbucks is stuipid enough to blatantly poke fun at something like Sept. 11.

On second thought, what other meaning could the "Collapse into cool." statement have? It almost has to have something to do with Sept. 11.

Oh well.

MC Posted - 06/21/2002 : 09:55:34 AM
Good call Fluffy,

I am not a Starbucks exec, but I would guess that they didnt make that ad as a mock of 911, its just something that they didnt realize. Everyone needs to relax in this world (especially country) There are much bigger things to worry about than a Starbucks ad.

Peace

"Turn it into love, man. Whatever's fucked up in the world, just turn it into love. Take in the bad and give out the good, otherwise we're all gonna die and go to hell." T.R.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 06/21/2002 : 09:24:42 AM
The one thing that article doesn't state is what Starbuck's stance on the ad is. It seems to leave out a pretty big piece of information if the ad has nothing to do with Sept. 11 and happens to be a bad coincidence, which I think may be a little more likely. I have to say, I never would have equated that ad to the WTC terrorist attack if not for that article.
-J

genome Posted - 06/21/2002 : 08:35:24 AM
Yeah Fluffy, I'm with you on this one too. I probably couldn't have put it so well, but I agree with you. Well put.

Fleabass76 Posted - 06/21/2002 : 01:06:56 AM
Word! That's exactly what i think, by freaking out over all this stuff in movies, it's admitting defeat. A terrorist's goal is to create terror and distrupt our lives, they're doing a damn good job.

"Women and rhythm section first."
Mr. Jaco Pastorius
Adopt your own useless blob!
Fluffy Posted - 06/21/2002 : 12:52:14 AM
I never said I was in support of the ad. At the same time, I do not feel they should be forced to take them down. I do think it was a little insensitive of them to hang them in the NY area. All I am saying is that people seem to take things far to personally and seriously. My point was people need to laugh a little more. Not necessarily at that poster. That is why I made the comment:
quote:
I am certainly by no means referring only to 911

This just points up one more chapter in our lack of ability to deal with the aftereffects of something like this. Taking the Twin Towers out of Spiderman, etc etc etc. All of these things point to the inescapable conclusion that the terrorists win. If we do things differently because of their actions, they truly have won. I do not want to give chickenshit terrorists the impression that they have won. I have looked at the ad in question and to be perfectly honest, I don't think I would have ever noticed the similarities everyone is so quick to point out as so blantantly obvious. I just feel like people are looking for things like that and I think that is really sad. Sorry if my comments were misconstrued but I really think people in general need to lighten up. They can laugh at a blantantly offensive depiction of an indian on a sporting teams uniform and not be offended but they seem cups that look like they MIGHT be representing the twin towers and they get all up in arms. Laugh at one but not the other, just doesn't seem right to me.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
therippa Posted - 06/20/2002 : 4:59:41 PM
Why don't the ban people giving the peace sign with their hand, that resembles two towers.

---------------
Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque

"I heard Tim stopped playing with Dave when he got pregnant"
Jamie M Posted - 06/20/2002 : 4:35:19 PM
quote:

I am certainly by no means referring only to 911 but this really points up what I am talking about. People need to be a little less sensitive in this day and age. The PC thing is just getting way to outta hand. People need to seek their inner child and get a little of their sense of humor back about EVERYTHING. Laughter is the best medicine. We should never forget but we should also be able to laugh at ourselves just a little.

You're in support of that ad then??
Sure, everyone's gotta have asense of humour about some things, but there's other things that just shouldn't get joked about, this being one of them.

Fluffy Posted - 06/20/2002 : 05:39:18 AM
I am certainly by no means referring only to 911 but this really points up what I am talking about. People need to be a little less sensitive in this day and age. The PC thing is just getting way to outta hand. People need to seek their inner child and get a little of their sense of humor back about EVERYTHING. Laughter is the best medicine. We should never forget but we should also be able to laugh at ourselves just a little.

I found this while looking thru the NY Post:

Or maybe it’s hands-on adventure you seek. If so, the New York Botanical Garden (200th Street and Kazimiroff Boulevard in The Bronx) will take you on a walking tour, complete with a pit stop in the children’s garden, where you’ll learn how to plant pot. Call (718) 372-2592 or visit www.nybg.org.

(OK, so maybe it didn't appear just like that. It really said: "where you'll learn how to pot a plant." but it was just to easy. HEHE)

I also think I needed to be in NY for the Mermaid Peraid(my spelling, ain't it QT?)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Ginohassideburns Posted - 06/19/2002 : 11:08:30 PM
c'mon starbucks your better than that!

Silky The Pimp Posted - 06/19/2002 : 10:47:26 PM
... for me to poop on.
-J

{=HTG=} Posted - 06/19/2002 : 10:38:47 PM
Whoa...crazy.

"I tell you what, I'm not that easily amused ...wow, a blue car!" Homer Simpson.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000