Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Raise your hand if you DON'T do drugs...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tericee Posted - 05/04/2002 : 11:14:01 PM
Lots of people mention being high while posting to the board.

I'm just curious how many of us on the message board don't use any illegal substances. I'm in the military and I have no desire to live in Leavenworth, so I've never tried any. I often wonder if I would have tried them if circumstances were different, but since I'm such a goody-goody I probably wouldn't.

I guess the only illegal thing I do on a regular basis is drive over the speed limit.

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
89   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
victorwootenfan Posted - 05/22/2002 : 1:34:16 PM
very true about the government protecting ourselves from each other. i don't think they've been doing too much in the ways of religious freedom here recently.(examples: prayer or moment of silence in schools, in god we trust signs manditory in schools, 10 commandments posted in all elementry school rooms, and bible trailers at schools too) whatever happened to the seperation of church and state?

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi
Saint Jude Posted - 05/21/2002 : 11:04:56 PM
quote:
The only true purpose of a government should be to protect you from me and me from you.

Who is gunna protect me from Xarr?

Well, i guess im safe from him till i die, so... uhh hopefully im safe for a long while.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Fluffy Posted - 05/21/2002 : 10:34:55 PM
Very insightful of you VWF!!! I completely agree. It really can apply to almost everything. It would me a much better world if we just let people believe and do what they want to do as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. The basis of libertarianism in one sentence:The only true purpose of a government should be to protect you from me and me from you.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Saint Jude Posted - 05/21/2002 : 10:12:18 PM
very true, but lets not get started on religion, there has been unplesentness in the past about that. but i agree w/ u there much so.

victorwootenfan Posted - 05/21/2002 : 9:51:24 PM
you know, that entire post also can relate to religion too. some more obscure nature based religions can be the best thing ever to happen to some people, while others could make up their own harmful negative rules or things to follow with them. religion is good for some, while it doesn't work with others. drugs and religion both are an explosive topic while around certain people too. especially the part aboot people taking the path that works for themselves, that's religion in itself to me! damned how similar that was...

Fluffy Posted - 05/21/2002 : 7:30:27 PM
Masturbate till you feel OK
Masturbate till the shit goes away
Masturbate till you catch your breath
Masturbate till you feel a little death

Anyway, on the subject of drugs, I think that different drugs affect different people differently. What is a good, insightful drug for one person may be detrimental to another. I think trying to make a blanket statement about whether drugs help the creative process should be thought of as more of a subjective question. I know for some people it very important to their creative process and others who it hinders. Some use drugs but cannot create while on them but the insight they acquire as a result finds it's way into their music after the fact. I think you have to look at drugs as all other experiences in life. In the creative process the artist draws from all experiences. There is no debating the devastating effect that drugs can have on an artist, but you also cannot discount the effect that drugs have had on music. The thing to remember is that I don't think drugs are the ONLY influence on the creative process. I think they are small part of the bigger picture of the creative process. They are yet another influence on the creative process. Sometimes positive and sometimes negative. I have to agree with Evergreen on this one as well. These things are personal choices. What is good and helpful to one person is not always going to have the same effect for someone else. Personal physiology comes into play alot of TIMes as well. One person may smoke a joint and it will devastate them to the point they need to lay on a couch and chill while others may smoke a joint and it helps them concentrate or focus. AS with all things in life people need to find what works for them, and I don't just mean drugs. Just because something works for one does not mean it will work or have the same effect for another. We each need to discover ourselves and work within the framework that best suits our individual needs. The question of whether DRUGS make you more creative becomes more of a personal question for each individual to answer for themselves. As with almost everything I tell people, THINK FOR YOURSELVES, investigate and find your OWN path, the one that is right for you, and again, I don't mean just with drugs. I would not want anyone to think I am advocating or encouraging drug use. All I am saying is find your own path in life. Find what works for you.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Saint Jude Posted - 05/17/2002 : 4:38:35 PM
quote:
ummmmmmm......no?

O right right, (clears throat) well, must be goin.

pcbTIM Posted - 05/17/2002 : 3:43:25 PM
quote:

o dont we all.

ummmmmmm......no?

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
tericee Posted - 05/15/2002 : 01:54:59 AM
quote:

Awww teri, it just takes sooo long for me to download these links...but I'm going to try to outlast this one, just because it's for me.

Did you ever get that song to download Jason? If not, I can play it for you Thursday or Friday on our way to DMB or TIM. It's so cool to have you in town!

teri

Saint Jude Posted - 05/14/2002 : 6:15:46 PM
o dont we all.

Xar666 Posted - 05/14/2002 : 4:48:24 PM
I masturbate in graveyards.

-Xar666

I never really hated a one true god, but the god of the people I hated.
revrendmaynard14 Posted - 05/11/2002 : 10:23:52 PM
I olny do what NKAD does.

*~Kaleigh~*
Evergreen Posted - 05/08/2002 : 3:59:28 PM
TR dictionary is right!! I misspelled masturbate....oh my sweet ass goodness! That's just a sad state of affairs. I should have my college degrees revoked! Immediately! Didn't anyone notice or are you all just too nice? Where's Fluffy! He would have never let me get away with that! I can feel the Master Bates comments a comin on now!
I shoulda just said killing kittens I would have saved myself the embarrassment!

Saint Jude Posted - 05/08/2002 : 12:38:19 PM
quote:
http://www.ipinc.net/~byron/mixed-media/tmbgbeer.mp3

sounds like something that would be on south park.

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 05/07/2002 : 11:59:24 PM
quote:

I get high on life w/ my friend jesus, and by jesus I mean SATAN.

now i want THAT quote on a bumper sticker

Adam

Music is more than notes on a page

I'm trying to spell what only the wind can explain

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/07/2002 : 11:05:36 PM
Awww teri, it just takes sooo long for me to download these links...but I'm going to try to outlast this one, just because it's for me.

-what-
Fleabass76 Posted - 05/07/2002 : 10:29:56 PM
I get high on life w/ my friend jesus, and by jesus I mean SATAN.

But seriously folks, whatever u do, don't do speedballs (heroin and coke) It's killed Layne Staley, John Belushi, and many more.

"People always tell you to color inside the lines, [but] who drew the lines in the first place? [Think about that.]" -Victor Wooten
pcbTIM Posted - 05/07/2002 : 9:55:05 PM
Hahahahahaha!!!! That is now the official closer for any thread!!

"Life is what you make of it, not what you take from it."
tericee Posted - 05/07/2002 : 9:51:05 PM
Okay, I'll drop the subject (but not the acid). Here's a little ditty to celebrate the closing of this thread.

http://www.ipinc.net/~byron/mixed-media/tmbgbeer.mp3

(This clip is dedicated to EnthuTIMsiast, whose recent post on the Space thread got me searching for TMBG songs.)

teri

enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/07/2002 : 9:33:07 PM
quote:

just drop it.

A subtle one, this dirtysloth...clever indeed.

-what-
dirtysloth Posted - 05/07/2002 : 9:22:30 PM
Way to relate to the topic pcbdmb! Actually, I'm kinda with Evergreen, a lot of it is subjective so we should probably just drop it.

But yeah, the value of some things can be measured by their cheesiness, and Silky, these things are priceless!

Peace,
Patrick

http://members.tripod.com/one4tim/index.htm
pcbTIM Posted - 05/07/2002 : 9:11:22 PM
I love 'em! I crack up every TIMe they start up! It's great.....it's like a wonderful drug.

Silky The Pimp Posted - 05/07/2002 : 9:07:12 PM
Haha all hail the midis! They were just too cheesy not to share.
-J

tericee Posted - 05/07/2002 : 9:05:35 PM
quote:

Hahahahahaha!!!!! That's great Silky!!! I love it! They sound like they could be on one of those Nintendo Final Fantasy games.

Those midis were terrible. I'm not really in the mood for the DMB concert now. :-(

teri

pcbTIM Posted - 05/07/2002 : 8:42:44 PM
Hahahahahaha!!!!! That's great Silky!!! I love it! They sound like they could be on one of those Nintendo Final Fantasy games.

NeverKillADream Posted - 05/07/2002 : 7:20:21 PM
oh so now im like the only non "clean" person here, nooooo, someone else here smokes dammit, lol, identify yourselves....

Jason Posted - 05/07/2002 : 6:28:05 PM
Go ahead and mark me down for not taking anything illegal. I have even cut out sodas from my body as well. Strickly water and juices.

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 05/07/2002 : 5:36:41 PM
I don't drink, or smoke cigarettes or pot, and I don't do any other kind of drug. I do drink tea, coffee, and pop, which all have caffene, but thats about it for me.

Adam

Music is more than notes on a page

I'm trying to spell what only the wind can explain

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Saint Jude Posted - 05/07/2002 : 3:59:30 PM
AHHH, NO, NOT MIDI!

powdrdogdmb Posted - 05/07/2002 : 3:10:27 PM
Whoever made those was definately doing drugs, no doubt about it.
-WBB

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Nietzche
Silky The Pimp Posted - 05/07/2002 : 1:57:34 PM
Don't mind me... just whoring through...

Check this out for a laugh. http://hits.mididb.com/20020505/Mathews_Dave/?Title=Dave%20Mathews

-J

Evergreen Posted - 05/07/2002 : 1:47:08 PM
OK after pondering visual aide and aid...

aide-an actual person in your presence
aid-inanimate object that aids, eg: pictures, blow up dolls, videos

victorwootenfan Posted - 05/07/2002 : 12:38:27 PM
Actually going back to the hendrix thing, i've read several nooks written on hendrix, and most of them have agreed that Hendrix didn't use drugs very often, especially harder drugs. He was an occasional pot smoker, that rarely ever used lsd or heroin or whatnot. he died from more of a freak chance with the few times he used harder drugs, that's it. Just kinda out of the blue...which is really really sad.

enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/07/2002 : 12:15:38 PM
quote:
masterbates ...masterbate...masterbate...masterbation...masterbation...masterbate...masterbate...

Dfferent strokes for different folks.

Indeed.

-what-
Evergreen Posted - 05/07/2002 : 12:11:42 PM
Is there a difference between a visual aide and a visual aid? Where's the TR dictionary?

Evergreen Posted - 05/07/2002 : 12:04:51 PM
This topic came up once before way back. I'm not the type to go back and look for the thread but I think my response was similar. This topic raises some issues with judgement. The responses are subjective, and the choice to use drugs/smoke pot/drink alcohol is a personal private choice. It's like opinions on music and musicians. Everyone has reasons as to why they do or do not use drugs and how often, if at all. After reading the responses to this topic it became clear that this question really shouldn't be asked. It got a little testy last TIMe and it's getting a little testy this TIMe. I felt like I couldn't truly answer cause someone would have an opinion about it no matter which way I answered. It's kinda like asking...who here masterbates and how often. Then we could get into talking about where, what time of day and with what visual aides and sex toys do each of us like best. Or will some of us only be sexually satisfied with a partner, would you masterbate in front of someone, or "WHAT!!!...you don't ever masterbate"? Does masterbation make us better lovers with others and what is society's view on masterbation. Is it illegal in some places and can I sit on a park bench and openly masterbate or could I get arrested?

See it could go on and on...and...who really cares....to each his/her own. I still think you're all great people whether you do drugs or not or whether you masterbate on park benches or not.....Different strokes for different folks.

dirtysloth Posted - 05/07/2002 : 08:00:14 AM
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at Jimi Hendrix. I don't know if he actually attributed his creativity to drug use, I imagine it did to a certain extent, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that it hindered it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it did kill him.

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm not trying to say the things Jimi did were good for his health. I'm just talking about his creativity here. He took nine sleeping pills after drinking wine, choked on his own vomit that night, and the autopsy revealed a large amount of secanol. Yeah, definitely not healthy.

Peace,
Patrick

Saint Jude Posted - 05/06/2002 : 10:43:42 PM
quote:
Just wanna make sure we aren't grouping all drugs together here.

Yes i was talkinga bout all drugs in general... again, weed is one of the least problem causing drugs out there.

quote:
Look at Jimi Hendrix. I don't know if he actually attributed his creativity to drug use, I imagine it did to a certain extent, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that it hindered it.

Well it did kill him.

quote:
well put Sloth. I do it because it's fun, and right now, i NEED something like weed. It relaxes me. Not that I do it everynight, just once or twice a week, sometimes more, at THE MOST! But, it is something fun for me, and it lets me relax from the shit i put up with.

You know thats fine w/ me. Sometimes people just need a release. The problem i have w/ it is when people become adicted to drugs, (even perscription). And all they talk about is getting high, on what ever drug it is they choose. That is what bugs me.

enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/06/2002 : 10:13:14 PM
I'll be honest. It looks like self inflicted Parkinson's to me.

But I believe it's from the drugs, past and present. I don't think his household is in a drug drought right now. I heard somewhere someone (maybe his manager or someone) say that if the bottle said "take one every 5 hours" Ozzy would take 5 every one hour. And he'd take it with loads of alcohol, which is a given nono.

Yep, Ozzy's not doing so great....which is why everyone should buy all of his albums.

-what-
tericee Posted - 05/06/2002 : 10:03:51 PM
quote:

i dont do drugs at all... and like TIMsiast i have long hair... (like almost middle of my back) and listen to alot of tim and tool and such, and people dont think i can think the things i do w/o drugs.

I think Fluffy has that problem sometimes too
quote:

I also hear people talk alot about how drugs can expand your mind, but in reality it is probably killing it. the best way to expand your mind is to fully realize (or atleast try) who and what you are, and what u can do to make this life that u have the best one possable.

I expand my mind by reading books. At least I think I do.

BTW. Have you seen how Ozzy talks on MTV's "The Osbournes?" Did he have a stroke or is that from drugs?

teri

{=HTG=} Posted - 05/06/2002 : 9:42:38 PM
Haha, I remember when my friend tried to get me high (my fist time) He was taking the final hit, and inhaled the flame! Haha, it was a riot! He coughed up for about 5 mintues, and he says, "burnt the fuck out of my throat"

"I tell you what, I'm not that easily amused ...wow, a blue car!" Homer Simpson.
Jay Posted - 05/06/2002 : 7:35:35 PM
well put Sloth. I do it because it's fun, and right now, i NEED something like weed. It relaxes me. Not that I do it everynight, just once or twice a week, sometimes more, at THE MOST! But, it is something fun for me, and it lets me relax from the shit i put up with.

Jay
My last name is confusing...It is Spelled Wiegand but is pronounced Weegend...another insult to the English language...
dirtysloth Posted - 05/06/2002 : 7:31:09 PM
quote:
Saint Jude said:
It is no more dangerious then alcohol, actually probably less.

No question about it. Alcohol is far worse. No one has ever died from smoking marijuana. Only dangerous thing about weed is that you have to smoke it, and smoking anything is bad for you. And if you get a vaporizer, that takes care of that problem.

quote:
Saint Jude also said: Look at the chili peppers, they used to be heavy into drugs, good musicians at the time, and then kicked them completely and have become even better musicans and human being because of it.

Yeah, but weed didn't have anything to do with that. You probably weren't trying to convey that it did, but I just want to make a point that heroin is what was destroying them. Fuck, it killed one of them. Yes, heroin is evil. Just wanna make sure we aren't grouping all drugs together here.

quote:
NKAD said: i can write music fine without weed,
lol, but i just personally enjoy it. period. you can overdose
on it

Nope, you can't. You can get extremely stoned, maybe way more than you want to be, but you can't overdose.... http://cannabis.com/ezine/just_say_know/1.shtml

quote:
Sainty said: Tom Morrello (of ratm) has never smoked weed.
And he is one of the most inivative guitarist alive today

Good for him. I don't see the point though. People can be innovative whether they do drugs or not, and if it has anything at all to do with drugs, you'd have to ask that person. Look at Jimi Hendrix. I don't know if he actually attributed his creativity to drug use, I imagine it did to a certain extent, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that it hindered it.

quote:
Saint Jude said: But i also find it odd that people often say they are at their creative best when they are high. I find i can be more creative when i am building off of a emotion i know is real, weather it be pain or happiness, love, or what not, its real,

So? A person can feel every one of those emotions when they're high, and it's no less real. I agree though, it's a little odd when people say they're at their creative best. For me, it's just a different kind of creativity, not necessarily better or worse.

I don't mean to come down on you or anything Saint. I respect how you feel about this topic. There are just some things I don't quite agree with 100%.

Peace,
Patrick

Saint Jude Posted - 05/06/2002 : 3:01:56 PM
yes i agree, weed is one of the least dangerous drugs arround. but people will abuse it, as w/ other drugs, and that bugs me. And again it just isnt for me.

quote:
ummm........what's so hard about that? Or do you have to play it really fast?

quote:
I think he hard part isn't that, its KNOWING that. And if I'm guessing correctly, you don't memorize THAT, you LEARN the process or the direction that that follows. So what's hard about that is probably that it can be done for a bunch of different keys on a bunch of different frets or whatever; knowing when and where to do that, that's the hard part.

yes that is the 'hard' part. but it really isnt... u just have to memorize the shape, and reproduce it on what ever key he gives u to play it in. so u can do it for C, C#, D. D# (but from D# on u would change to a different inversion... but u can run it straigt up the guitar)

quote:
It sounds like you have your head on pretty staight, and I agree with you whole heartedly, you just need to work on the spelling a bit. D'OH: inivative=innovative

Yeah, wisconsin doesnt have the best public schools. I cant really spell worth shit, as u will learn as your journey along the TIM-Board continues. And welcome if i didnt say it already, u to genome.

victorwootenfan Posted - 05/06/2002 : 12:42:45 PM
There are a lot of good straightedge guitarists out there(i.e. Tom Morello) and in a sense i kinda have a bit more respect for them, because they don't use drugs and haven't been influenced by the "rock star" type society. That's hard to do i think, with the many people on drugs of some sort, abusing them. I think drugs(especially weed) is fine to use, for musicians or whatnot, but as always it should never be overdone.

powdrdogdmb Posted - 05/06/2002 : 11:29:14 AM
Couldn't have said it any better myself S.Jude:

quote:
And again it feels like u are saying because of the weed dave and tim are good at guitar. But that is far from the truth. They are good because they have great talent, and they can connect w/ eachother musically and produce great songs.

It sounds like you have your head on pretty staight, and I agree with you whole heartedly, you just need to work on the spelling a bit. D'OH: inivative=innovative
quote:
Tom Morrello (of ratm) has never smoked weed. And he is one of the most inivative guitarist alive today
We would definately get along.
Peace Be With
-WBB

genome Posted - 05/06/2002 : 08:33:27 AM
I think he hard part isn't that, its KNOWING that. And if I'm guessing correctly, you don't memorize THAT, you LEARN the process or the direction that that follows. So what's hard about that is probably that it can be done for a bunch of different keys on a bunch of different frets or whatever; knowing when and where to do that, that's the hard part.

But I don't really know, I'm just guessing.

And yes, Aerosmith did at one time (many many years ago) make good music. Not today, and not for a long time, but they at one time did.

pcbTIM Posted - 05/06/2002 : 03:05:15 AM
quote:

Start on the 1/8 of a scale on the A string, then work down to the 4 on the low E, then back up to the 7, u can slide then to the other strings and do the same.

Ex, Key of C

A-3-------------3-5-7
E--7-5-3-1-3-5-7-----

One of the first things we learned last semester and several of my fellow guitarists still had problems doing said scale by the end of the semester.

ummm........what's so hard about that? Or do you have to play it really fast?

Saint Jude Posted - 05/06/2002 : 01:53:47 AM
quote:
Saint Jude, I'm not disagreeing with you. In fact I agree with you, almost completely, provided you meant (and I know you did) what Silky said (you're talking about your friends [or schoolmates] and not making sweeping generalizations).

Again, yes i am not making a generilization. Again i state there were/are many guitar players/musicians that do/did drugs that are very good at what they do/did.

And i dont think aerosmith ever made good music... heh, so your on your own w/ that one.

quote:
Seems it worked for TIM and DAVE, two of my favorite musicians..
.........ever.

And again it feels like u are saying because of the weed dave and tim are good at guitar. But that is far from the truth. They are good because they have great talent, and they can connect w/ eachother musically and produce great songs.

Tom Morrello (of ratm) has never smoked weed.
And he is one of the most inivative guitarist alive today

And i am not saying that weed should be outlawed or what ever, i am actually for it being legalized. It is no more dangerious then alcohol, actually probably less. But it just isnt for me.

And i am also saying it is the excesses of use of said drugs that i have the major problem with. If u need weed to relax, then go ahead and smoke a joint every now and then. But i dont, doesnt make me any better then you or vice versa. But i think that if u (not necisarily you, just you in the rehtorical sence) need to smoke everyday to relax, then maybe there is a bigger problem. Same can go w/ perscription drugs. (not so much for chemical imbalances but i think u can get my meaning)

But i also find it odd that people often say they are at their creative best when they are high. I find i can be more creative when i am building off of a emotion i know is real, weather it be pain or happiness, love, or what not, its real, and to me that is more personal of a song (Crush) then a song about doing acid in south affrica. (Tripping Billies) {Although it is quite ironic that the song i choose that is built off of real emotion has the lyrics "Drink some wine till we get drunk" in it.}

quote:
a major scale in second inversion

Start on the 1/8 of a scale on the A string, then work down to the 4 on the low E, then back up to the 7, u can slide then to the other strings and do the same.

Ex, Key of C

A-3-------------3-5-7
E--7-5-3-1-3-5-7-----

One of the first things we learned last semester and several of my fellow guitarists still had problems doing said scale by the end of the semester.

quote:
but mine died in a car, and i still drive daily.

Cars are necesities in todays life style... drugs arnt.

NeverKillADream Posted - 05/06/2002 : 01:30:45 AM
An Excerpt from a Tim Reynolds Interview in
"He became a regular performer at Miller's (the downtown bar featured prominently in every story of DMB) where he met Dave Matthews. The two got along well, and ended up spending time recording in Dave's mother's basement, munching on marijuana brownies and playing whatever came into their heads.
Fast-forward about a decade. Dave and Tim have performed as a duo dozens of times, in three separate tours. Their album, "Live at Luther College," has sold bazillions of copies."

Seems it worked for TIM and DAVE, two of my favorite musicians..
.........ever.

NeverKillADream Posted - 05/06/2002 : 01:25:15 AM
i can write music fine without weed,
lol, but i just personally enjoy it. period. you can overdose
on it, i just smoke in the evening and kick back and play
my guitar, and i usually write differently when im high,
and i find it interesting. sorry about your friends, but
mine died in a car, and i still drive daily. goodnight.

genome Posted - 05/06/2002 : 12:54:13 AM
quote:

a major scale in second inversion.

Whoa... A WHAT??
quote:
Look at the chili peppers, they used to be heavy into drugs, good musicians at the time, and then kicked them completely and have become even better musicans and human being because of it.

But on the same note, look at Aerosmith. They used to be heavy into drugs, great musicians at the time, and then kicked them completely and have slacked in the music department for a long time now.

Saint Jude, I'm not disagreeing with you. In fact I agree with you, almost completely, provided you meant (and I know you did) what Silky said (you're talking about your friends [or schoolmates] and not making sweeping generalizations). I hope you can manage not to start with alcohol, because trust me, it's just as bad as those others, and probably more musicians could be a hell of a lot better if they didn't imbibe that as much as they had. Take anyone..John Bonham, for example (someone mentioned him earlier, I believe). I'll bet he would probably be happy not to drink so much if he could have the night to do over when he passed out on the floor after having drunk so much, and then choked on his own vomit.

But that's just my opinion.

Saint Jude Posted - 05/06/2002 : 12:48:52 AM
werd, u very much so were silky.

Silky The Pimp Posted - 05/06/2002 : 12:47:23 AM
Haha... I was late, but it seems I was correct.
-J

Silky The Pimp Posted - 05/06/2002 : 12:44:45 AM
I think he was talking about his friends... not really making a sweeping generalization.
-J

Saint Jude Posted - 05/06/2002 : 12:42:42 AM
im not saying u are all shitty cuz u smoke weed, but because it is all they do. there are many great musicians that did drugs, and alot of them are no longer with us because of it. But i just think it is stupid that they just smoke and dring all the time and complain about how hard it is to do a major scale in second inversion. And this isnt all players who smoke weed, some can be good, even great... but the fact that they smoke weed doesnt make them great musicians. Look at the chili peppers, they used to be heavy into drugs, good musicians at the time, and then kicked them completely and have become even better musicans and human being because of it.

And i am not close minded, i am actually one of the most open minded people u will meet. And i didnt mean this as a personal attack on you either. But i think if you had a friend who killed himself, and it partially had to do w/ drug use, (which screwed up his life w/ his family and many others) u would see it differently.

And again the same u cant be totaly close minded twords me on this issue, which it sounds liek u are.
quote:
i got weed to go smoke, just for you....

quote:
with Marijuana having been found in Mozart's autoposy

Marijuana back then did not have the same meaning it does today, u also have to keep that in mind.

Enjoy that weed for me.

NeverKillADream Posted - 05/06/2002 : 12:25:26 AM
I think thats a really shitty thing to say,
just cause you dont smoke does not make those of us that do
inferior musicians, think again, with Marijuana having been
found in Mozart's autoposy, then i beg to argue your stand.
i could list alot of smokers who arent 'shitty' guitarists.
sounds like your rather close minded on this matter.
Goodnight. i got weed to go smoke, just for you....

Saint Jude Posted - 05/06/2002 : 12:12:24 AM
drat

pcbTIM Posted - 05/06/2002 : 12:11:28 AM
quote:

alcahol (if i could spell it)

Ooooohhhhh!!!! So close! alcohol.

Saint Jude Posted - 05/06/2002 : 12:06:37 AM
i dont do drugs at all... and like TIMsiast i have long hair... (like almost middle of my back) and listen to alot of tim and tool and such, and people dont think i can think the things i do w/o drugs.

I might eventually start to embibe alcahol (if i could spell it) but i dont think i will ever become involved in any other drugs in my life. The friend of mine that died earlier this year used to be a big coke head, but eventually got himself to straighten out and even kick ciggarets. and he said to me that he was so much happier w/o drugs then with, it just made his life so much better. And now that he has passed i take that to heart greatly and try to live my life like that.

I also hear people talk alot about how drugs can expand your mind, but in reality it is probably killing it. the best way to expand your mind is to fully realize (or atleast try) who and what you are, and what u can do to make this life that u have the best one possable. I just think messing up your life by getting addicted to drugs will hinder that ability, so i dont do them.

Almost all of the other kids in my class/school (keep in mind i go to a music school) drink and smoke on a regular bassis. and i think its fuckin hilarious that they spend all their time smooking/drinking a i actually study and practice, (not even alot but a moderate sum) and i fly through all of the classes this semester and they were all stuggaling with them. Ofcourse some had a better grip on things then others, but if they think smoking weed every week will make them a better guitar player by 'expanding their minds', then let them have their 'expanded' minds and be shitty guitar players.

Jay Posted - 05/05/2002 : 7:05:06 PM
I see you've picked up! THat little line always brings a smile to my little oily face! Thanks man, and, since i've never said it, and i'm like 70 posts late...welcome aboard! I swear i'm never on time. Oh well...

Jay
My last name is confusing...It is Spelled Wiegand but is pronounced Weegend...another insult to the English language...
powdrdogdmb Posted - 05/05/2002 : 7:02:54 PM
Jay, lay off the "Fake"weed.

Peace Be With
-WBB

The following applies to all things we survive except for "Fake-Weed":

Jay Posted - 05/05/2002 : 6:51:07 PM
Yessir, i've heard of it.....and it sucks!

Yall know where I stand on this issue!

Jay
{=HTG=} Posted - 05/05/2002 : 6:11:59 PM
Anyone heard of the "fake" weed thats out there? I'm not sure what's all in it, maybe some one can fill me in, but i've tried it, nada.

"I tell you what, I'm not that easily amused ...wow, a blue car!" Homer Simpson.
victorwootenfan Posted - 05/05/2002 : 4:55:12 PM
i smoke weed maybe twice a month just for a new view on the world, but don't touch alcohol or tobacco products. I'm pretty against alcohol, just don't like the stuff!

{=HTG=} Posted - 05/05/2002 : 4:42:34 PM
Um...well, the sign we took...there is another one that has taken it's place. So, my friends are going to try and get that new one. I made a mistake and had to edit a reply, then delete it, so it came out looking like that if thats what your wondering. . .I dunno.

genome Posted - 05/05/2002 : 12:32:03 PM
I don't get it HispanicTeenGuitarist?

{=HTG=} Posted - 05/05/2002 : 10:01:46 AM
quote:

I know a few kids from school who do it all the time. I just found out recently that my friend took two more. Then he told me that the stop sign we took: it has been replaced, he's going to round up another group to grab it again. Will the madness ever end!?

enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/05/2002 : 09:54:24 AM
My cousin used to steal roadsigns all the time. He had so many that he hat them all on his walls and he even had them leaning against themselves because there were so many. I'd say ... 50 or so he had. It was ridiculous. And road cones and barrells, just everything he could get. It was quite funny. AND his dad is a preacher. I think that's what makes it funny.

-what-
{=HTG=} Posted - 05/05/2002 : 08:00:51 AM
Thats pretty cool pcbdmb. This was actually are second try at it becuase the first time while we were getting ready, my friend was making to much noise, and people came out of a nearby house, and yelled at us. We ran to the truck and sped off. I'm actually going to go pick up the stop sign today at my friends house, and put it up on my wall. Damn those suckers are huge. Alot bigger than you think when your running with 'em.

powdrdogdmb Posted - 05/05/2002 : 06:33:13 AM
Haven't touched anything of the illegal variety for over a year - then again - you can't apply all the laws of the USA to Holland... Austria is pretty much the same however (and is 18 hours away from Holland by train) - all "clean" besides a few beers over here.
Peace Be With
-WBB

pcbTIM Posted - 05/05/2002 : 06:00:01 AM
Hey HTG.......when we stole it, it was during a mission trip (a group of us in campus ministry go on a tour of the missions in California)......and when we got to Fresno, I new that there was a 41 freeway that goes to Yosemite. So after everyone else went to sleep, we took the van and a wrench, and headed down to the nearest on-ramp. For some reason, the area was crawling with police.....so my friend had toun-screw one bolt....walk away.....unscrew the other bolt.....walk away.....take out the screws and bolts......walk away......then TIMe it perfectly so that the second he grabbed the sign off, we pulled up.....he jumped in and we sped off ontot he freeway. We stole two signs, and it took about an hour and a half. After I had my sign, I ordered a DMB sticker and placed it over the part that said "Property of the State of California".

KevinLesko Posted - 05/05/2002 : 03:58:43 AM
Yup, I've actually never touched any drugs, including pot or even a ciggarette. Unfortunately I do drink, just very rarely. Heck most of the time is when I'm around my family. I've pondered the idea of not drinking at all though. It's really unnessecary, expensive and nothing good really comes out of it.. just bad stuff most of the time I've noticed.

So this is me officially raising my hand.

enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/05/2002 : 02:24:54 AM
quote:

Me neither, but lots of people don't believe me. Does that happen to you too?

(I know you weren't talking to me...)

I used to have long hair (I AM a guy) (and it was long enough for a ponytail), and when I told people that I had seriously never ever held, much less tried, weed, they wouldn't believe me. I even got pulled over once, and the copy searched my U-Haul trying to find weed. In retrospect, I'm glad they didn't plant in the van, but anyway....

I know how it is to be profiled. I was for a long time when I had my long hair. Absolutely no one except the very few people who spend the most of the time with me would believe that I didn't smoke weed.

-what-
Silky The Pimp Posted - 05/05/2002 : 02:23:40 AM
Haha yes! But only those that don't know me. Those who do know me know that it'll be a cold day in hell before I do anything of the sort.
-J

tericee Posted - 05/05/2002 : 02:21:28 AM
quote:

quote:

I'm in the military

Whoa, I had totally forgotten this information. Do you think you can get the illegal users of various substances in trouble? I'll be they'd be a whole lot more tight lipped if they thought that might happen...

Nah.

teri

tericee Posted - 05/05/2002 : 02:19:20 AM
quote:

Never touched a drug in my life. Never even tried a cigarette.

Me neither, but lots of people don't believe me. Does that happen to you too?

teri

enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/05/2002 : 02:17:04 AM
quote:

I'm in the military

Whoa, I had totally forgotten this information. Do you think you can get the illegal users of various substances in trouble? I'll be they'd be a whole lot more tight lipped if they thought that might happen...

Not that I think you WOULD, but I'm asking COULD you? Like from a more than civilian role?

I'm afraid this didn't even make sense to me.

-what-
{=HTG=} Posted - 05/05/2002 : 02:11:16 AM
quote:
steal a highway 41 sign

I was with my two friends and my bro in a bed up old truck driving around, taking a sign. We had to unscrew it, the funny part about that was one of my friends had to stand on my bro's back, who was on his hands and knees, to get the top part. It was a stop sign. The second it latched off, we hauled ass back to our truck (which was parked a good distance away) I'll never forget the site of my friend hauling ass with a stop sign over his head. And our crappy luck, a car was comming, so that made us run even faster. Damn it was hilarious! Oh, illegal substances, only weed, but only one time, so I didnt even get high. I've taken shots of diffrent stuff, but thats about it, not to bad I would say.

Silky The Pimp Posted - 05/05/2002 : 02:04:30 AM
Never touched a drug in my life. Never even tried a cigarette.
-J

Jamie M Posted - 05/05/2002 : 01:57:23 AM
quote:

Yeah.....I added alcohol because I'm 19.....so technically it is illegal.....for me.

Man, if you lived in Canada, you could be in a bar getting drunk right now.

I realize that I don't belong in this topic, but it was just so tempting.

enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/05/2002 : 01:54:02 AM
I don't drink anymore. I didn't until I was 22 at all. So it wasn't illegal for me. Then I had what I like to call the near-John-Bonham experience, and haven't had much since. And I've stopped alltogether now, for about three or 4 months, as with smoking. I ditched the two at about the same time.

So hoorray for me!

-what-
tericee Posted - 05/04/2002 : 11:31:04 PM
quote:

Yeah.....I added alcohol because I'm 19.....so technically it is illegal.....for me.

Oh, I forgot about that. I did drink illegally when I was in college. I was 18 when I got there and didn't turn 21 until April of my junior year. But I availed myself of free alcohol from the day I got there until the day I left. Afterward, I realized that several bad collegiate experiences were due to excessive alcohol consumption, which have pretty much kept me to a two-drink maximum ever since.

Note: I never mixed drinking and driving though. Nobody had cars since there was nowhere to park, plus there was plenty of mass transit access in Cambridge.

teri

pcbTIM Posted - 05/04/2002 : 11:26:26 PM

tericee Posted - 05/04/2002 : 11:24:41 PM
Yeah, I do caffein and alcohol (occasionally) which is why I qualified the drug question with the word "illegal."

So NAD, while we understand your position, we'll still have to count you as one who partakes of the illegal sort.

teri

pcbTIM Posted - 05/04/2002 : 11:22:38 PM
quote:

don't use any illegal substances.

looks like you don't qualify NAD!

NeverKillADream Posted - 05/04/2002 : 11:18:25 PM
I smoke weed for Creative purposes
and the writing process, other than that i dont drink
or do any other form of drug, just smoke weed.
"maybe we'll get high" -dave Matthews, lol

genome Posted - 05/04/2002 : 11:18:01 PM
I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs, not that drinking and smoking aren't drugs.

Well, I do caffeine. And that is a drug, let me tell you.

pcbTIM Posted - 05/04/2002 : 11:15:43 PM
I don't. In fact.......the only thing I've ever done that was illegal was steal a highway 41 sign...........oh........and I don't drink either.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000