Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 New Guitar Time....Questions for the masses

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 04/15/2002 : 8:49:15 PM
Okay, I'm considering 2 different guitars. Both Martins, the D1R and the D16-GT. The specs for both are here:

D1R:

http://www.cfmartin.com/MartinGuitar/StandardOutput.asp?RECORDID=25

D16-GT:

http://www.cfmartin.com/MartinGuitar/StandardOutput.asp?RECORDID=82

Okay, I'm leaning towards the D16GT, for a few reasons, it says it has solid Mahogany back and sides, and a solid spruce top, while the D1R says it has "laminated" rosewood back and sides, what does laminated mean? It may be a retared question, but I've realized that I don't know. I mean, I know "laminate" is that partical board like stuff that they make the "X" series out of, but does that have anything to do with a "laminated" back and sides?

So basically I'm leaning that way because I'm assuming that Solid back and sides are better than "laminated".

So, anyone that has time to check out the specs on both and let me know what you think, please do.

Also, anyone thats played these, what did you think of them? They have them both at a local music shop, but I haven't gotten to go down there yet to play on them.

Thanks,

Adam

Music is more than notes on a page

I'm trying to spell what only the wind can explain

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dick mountjoy Posted - 04/16/2002 : 8:48:00 PM
i'd say save up an extra $200 and get the d-16rgt with rosewood back and sides. d-16gt sounds ok but the rosewood is worth the extra money plus its about $300-400 cheaper than a d-35 or 28

My_Bad_Side Posted - 04/16/2002 : 6:25:51 PM
I'm with you on this one Jason.

No one understands me.
Jason Posted - 04/16/2002 : 5:45:17 PM
Let me suggest this...if the D35 is what you really want you should save up for that one. I have one and they are great! Sounds like you already have a guitar so it's not like you won't be able to play if you don't get a new one right? Hold out for what you really want...I always think it is better to have one great guitar than 2 decent/average guitars...just my humble onpinion..That is if you have the means to getting cash through a job or selling yourself on the street or whatever you do to prevent starvation...

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 04/16/2002 : 5:33:03 PM
quote:

Find a guitar shop in town, play both, and choose the one you fuckin' like more, jesus!

Like I said in my ORIGINAL post, they HAVE both guitars at a local shop, I just haven't had time to go down there and try them both out. I was just looking for some info on their construction and stuff before I went down. Since I was clueless on the laminate stuff, that info helped, as did the info about the scalloped bracing. Thanks Silky.

I'll probably wind up liking the D16Gt better, I usualy use medium strings anyway :)

Adam

Silky The Pimp Posted - 04/16/2002 : 02:10:27 AM
True, but Ovations are made with different materials/shapes than a normal dreadnought and probably aren't quite as strong. Then again I could be wrong and just never noticed my action changing... this was quite a while ago. I haven't changed guage in probably 5 years now!
-J

chatterballs Posted - 04/16/2002 : 02:05:41 AM
On my ovation I have to do truss adjusts and bridge adjusts if I change gauges, otherwise my action will suck.

--------------------
I once saw a movie where this bus had to keep its SPEED above 50 and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode...I think it was called, the bus that couldn't slow down.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 04/16/2002 : 02:02:46 AM
I know, I used to switch between lights and medium guage on my old acoustic, and the same with one of my buddies, and it seriously never made a difference... so at least from my experience nothing more than tightening the truss rod would ever be necessary. I think doing things like actually resetting the neck or adjusting the bridge might really only be necessary if you were to switch from light to heavy guage strings, or vice versa. Then again different guitars act differently so who knows!
-J

chatterballs Posted - 04/16/2002 : 02:01:33 AM
Get down on your knees, bad side.

--------------------
I once saw a movie where this bus had to keep its SPEED above 50 and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode...I think it was called, the bus that couldn't slow down.
My_Bad_Side Posted - 04/16/2002 : 01:59:12 AM
GuitarGuy is Jesus?

I thought his name was Adam.

chatterballs Posted - 04/16/2002 : 01:52:27 AM
Find a guitar shop in town, play both, and choose the one you fuckin' like more, jesus!

By the way, silky, lighter strings might require adjustment of action at the bridge or truss-rod adjustment.

--------------------
Silky The Pimp Posted - 04/15/2002 : 11:23:05 PM
By the way... just noticed. If you notice a difference in the action/playability of the two, keep in mind that the D-16gt is going to have medium guage strings on there, compared to the D-1's light guage. So just remember that if you like the feel of the D-1 better, you can just slap some light guage strings onto the other one and it will feel better.
-J

Silky The Pimp Posted - 04/15/2002 : 11:20:47 PM
The D-16gt sounds like it's going to be the better guitar in every respect. Solid wood construction is much better than laminate in that solid woods just SOUND better. That is why you will never find a high end acoustic with laminated construction. Laminates are basically a bunch of pieces of wood all smushed together. Also, the D-16gt has scalloped bracing, which means the bracing is cut "thinner" in certain areas that don't need the full piece of bracing to maintain integrity... what that does is it allows the top to vibrate more freely, giving better tones. I think when you play them both you will notice that the D-1 is going to sound swampy and "cheaper," for lack of a better description, when you compare it to the D-16gt. Hope that helps.
-J

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 04/15/2002 : 9:08:05 PM
quote:

Just buy them both.

I wish I had the cash for that...but if I had the cash for both...I wouldn't be screwing around with the 1200-1300 dollar range, id be going for the big guns (D35, D42...)

I'm lucky I have the cash for ONE of those guitars, and the Groove Box.

Adam

My_Bad_Side Posted - 04/15/2002 : 9:02:54 PM
Just buy them both.

I agree with you on the choice. The D16-GT is prettier, so get that one.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000