Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Anyone here own "Outbound"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
{=HTG=} Posted - 03/02/2002 : 6:56:20 PM
I just drove to my local Best Buy and picked up a copy. It's great, and second Bela Fleck album I have. I was just curious what you guys think about this album. "Earth Jam" is really good. "Lover's Leap" too. Jeff Coffin is awesome on that one.

56   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
{=HTG=} Posted - 06/05/2002 : 7:04:22 PM
True, and Blu Bop and Flying Saucer Dudes are both very good on that cd.

"I tell you what, I'm not that easily amused ...wow, a blue car!" Homer Simpson.
victorwootenfan Posted - 06/04/2002 : 6:17:02 PM
i like the harmonica, but i really can't get into it listening to it as much as other harmonica players(like john popper) but it's still very good, i like howard levy's piano stuff more.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi
{=HTG=} Posted - 06/04/2002 : 12:59:41 AM
I managed to snag a copy of Flight of the Cosmic Hippo. It's pretty good, and I really like the harmonica throughtout the songs.

"I tell you what, I'm not that easily amused ...wow, a blue car!" Homer Simpson.
pcbTIM Posted - 06/02/2002 : 9:53:50 PM
It's pretty nice.....it's not as good as I expected because I thought it would be the same stylings as Left of Cool.......but I would suggest getting it if you like him.

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
victorwootenfan Posted - 06/02/2002 : 9:46:58 PM
i don't have volume 2 yet, how's that one?

pcbTIM Posted - 06/02/2002 : 9:37:04 PM
I just picked up The Bluegrass Sessions: Tales of the Acoustic Planet, Volume 2. Seems pretty kewl.....but strangely enough, the Warehouse didn't have the first one.

pcbTIM Posted - 05/31/2002 : 11:46:35 PM
I got Perpetual Motion and needless to say I am sorely diasappointed that it's all classical tunes. D'oh well.......at least I didn't waste any money on it. Thank God for gift certificates!

{=HTG=} Posted - 05/31/2002 : 3:22:19 PM
I saw that show, but I dont remember them saying that on Crash. It was played on the TRL set, and they played nothing but radio hits )ants marching, crash, what would you say...etc.)

victorwootenfan Posted - 05/29/2002 : 1:04:19 PM
was that show played on MTV2 sometime ago? i remember seeing a concert with dave and they did that on crash.

{=HTG=} Posted - 05/29/2002 : 12:11:42 AM
Dont worry about it genome, but thanks anyway. I've always liked live performances when Dave adds new lyrics, for instance, in the tabernacle show, during crash, he adds a good set of lyrics at the end, something about humpie dumpie falling off the wall, "couldnt put this boy back together again" something along those lines.

powdrdogdmb Posted - 05/28/2002 : 7:15:13 PM
I haven't heard the other version, but I'm out of the country so hit me up at my IM and we'll work something out.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Nietzche
genome Posted - 05/28/2002 : 12:35:01 PM
If you're asking if Butch was there and playing, then yes. If you're asking if he added lyrics at the end...I don't know. I don't believe so. I can check if its important to you. If you're asking if Dave added lyrics at the end...I don't know that either. I can check that too, if you want me to.

victorwootenfan Posted - 05/28/2002 : 12:29:33 PM
wow! i've never heard either of those versions! if only one of you kind souls could B&P that for me, i would be ultimately thankful of ye!

{=HTG=} Posted - 05/28/2002 : 12:02:45 AM
I've heard of that last one. Isnt Butch Taylor a guest also? And doesnt he add some extra lyrics at the end?

genome Posted - 05/27/2002 : 4:52:03 PM
7-25-01 has a longer version of #41 than that. It's with the Tones and Lovely Ladies. Lots of solos and stuff.

powdrdogdmb Posted - 05/27/2002 : 4:49:52 PM
Anybody here heard the Dave Matthews Band 4-20-02 show? Disc 3 starts out with a 38 minute version of #41 featuring Bela and Victor, and perhaps the rest of the Flecktones, not sure. Unbelievable solos throughout the song. I can't wait to catch the Tones when they come out west in September.
Peace Be With
-WBB

victorwootenfan Posted - 05/27/2002 : 4:37:35 PM
if only tim and bela would play together though...or vic for that matter.

{=HTG=} Posted - 05/27/2002 : 12:41:34 PM
Sounds good.

victorwootenfan Posted - 05/27/2002 : 10:52:40 AM
ok, i see then. see i even predicted what i just said was wrong! bela's solo cds have guests on them, but their usually just strictly bluegrass musician's, except perpetual motion has a few classical musician's on that one. if you like classical music, you should check that disc out, it's got really nice double bass/banjo work on the cd.

{=HTG=} Posted - 05/27/2002 : 10:32:27 AM
I wonder how Bela's solo cds sound, or are they just full of guests?

genome Posted - 05/26/2002 : 11:38:38 PM
No no, what I meant was that I dig Bela and his banjo, but not the Flecktones as a whole. I dig HIS music, but not THEIR music.

Of course I understand what you're saying, but that's not what I meant.

victorwootenfan Posted - 05/26/2002 : 9:58:07 PM
i would say that actually i can understand, i think, why you wouldn't. he's not at all a traditional banjo player, he's very very not traditional, and takes the banjo where it never has before, in jazz and whatnot. although if you hear any of newgrass revival, or older bela fleck, it's more traditional and very good too, but bluegrassy. then again all this could be wrong and it's an entirely different reason, but shit...

genome Posted - 05/26/2002 : 5:04:05 PM
I'm a huge banjo fan, but oddly enough, I could never really get into the Flecktones. That's odd, isn't it?

KevinLesko Posted - 05/26/2002 : 4:51:48 PM
Outbound is a great Album. Those guys have sooooo much talent. I think "A moment so close" is my fav track.

JTR Posted - 05/21/2002 : 12:09:53 AM
yeah...
{=HTG=} Posted - 05/20/2002 : 10:38:33 PM
quote:
and the onyl guests are vocalist on a few(2 or 3) songs

Well thats good.

victorwootenfan Posted - 05/20/2002 : 9:14:25 PM
oh man, i've nutted myself several times listening to show of hands, Vic's best work, and the onyl guests are vocalist on a few(2 or 3) songs. i love that cd!

{=HTG=} Posted - 05/20/2002 : 5:14:54 PM
I feel the same way about Ying Yang, WAY to many guests. I'm looking for a copy of A show of hands.

victorwootenfan Posted - 05/19/2002 : 9:54:23 PM
outbound for me has always kinda been a full orcestration of the flecktones, like the band with soo many other people making it sound full! it's like next they could go into cutting back to the 4 peice, or even adding a bunch more guests on it, maybe some string stuff.(that'd rock!) i can't wait for the next album, or the W3W tour with vic, joseph and regi wooten!

JTR Posted - 05/19/2002 : 9:29:35 PM
In a long line of Fleck albums that I have, this one was nice because it makes me await more to come. Some of the albums, when they're over, you want to listen to it again or listen to an old one. When I finished Outbound, I can't really explain, but I couldn't wait to hear what they're going to do next. I dunno, it seems as if they are "outbound" on a musical journey and I can't wait to see where the trip takes them.
victorwootenfan Posted - 05/19/2002 : 1:16:34 PM
yeah, that's one thing that i didn't enjoy too much was the superfluous amount of guests on it, didn't add that much, but some of it was pretty cool though. i'd suggest also for those who like bluegrass, bela fleck's tales from the acoustic planet, it's really quite good!

{=HTG=} Posted - 05/19/2002 : 12:08:01 PM
I have 2 verions of #41 where the flute part is extended a good little bit. Too bad it's not in United, :(

joemoe Posted - 05/19/2002 : 08:54:29 AM
I picked up Outbound 2 days ago, and it's pretty sweet. My only complaint is all of the guests...jeeze, there's like 20 of 'em. I should probably pick up one of the Flecktones earliest releases.

{=HTG=} Posted - 05/17/2002 : 6:22:54 PM
Yeah, there really awesome. Very creative on the ying yang design.

victorwootenfan Posted - 05/17/2002 : 12:20:14 PM
i'm in love with his ying-yang basses though, i would give anything to own one of those! they look and sound so good!

{=HTG=} Posted - 05/16/2002 : 06:25:25 AM
Well, thats cool. Looks nice though.

victorwootenfan Posted - 05/15/2002 : 9:44:05 PM
sure haven't, i don't think he actually ever used it. kinda like a "gift" from the company that made it, or another word for vic to endorse their company just by owning one. it'd be cool as shit to hear him play the 8-stringer though, but it's probably just collectin' dust.

{=HTG=} Posted - 05/15/2002 : 7:55:43 PM
VWF, have you ever seen Victor play his 8 string bass? Or 12 for that matter? There's one on his website, and I thought it'd be tight as hell to see him play it live.

victorwootenfan Posted - 05/15/2002 : 12:08:00 PM
yeah, with a lot of guest musician's on it such as chick corea, johnny c., sam bush, and a bunch of other really good musicians!

Jamie M Posted - 05/14/2002 : 10:20:34 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm not going to chase it down or anything, but if I can get ahold of it, I'll definitely try. I'm guessing it's a live album?

TalkingNeurons Posted - 05/14/2002 : 5:08:53 PM
quote:
Anyone here own "Outbound"

Nope

---------------
"Little or no expectations leave more room for experiences."
-Victor L. Wooten

victorwootenfan Posted - 05/13/2002 : 8:26:53 PM
i concur, even though i don't own the album, live artis the best starting album!

{=HTG=} Posted - 05/13/2002 : 4:03:33 PM
Live Art. A couple people throughout the board have mentioned it as the best Flecktones starter.

Jamie M Posted - 05/12/2002 : 11:10:42 PM
I don't really know anything about the Flecktones... but I saw them at the Toronto DMB show this year and I was really impressed. Can anyone recommend a good starting album to get into them?

{=HTG=} Posted - 05/12/2002 : 9:55:38 PM
I'd say Leroi personally. But both are very similair and good at what they do.

victorwootenfan Posted - 05/12/2002 : 9:48:37 PM
i don't think their too differnt. i would say tone wise jeff coffin, but innovative originality would be leroi moore. all my opinion, but i love em both. what do you think?

{=HTG=} Posted - 05/12/2002 : 9:38:48 PM
Who's better?
Jeff Coffin or Leroi Moore? Oh wait...isnt this like comparing oranges and apples?

victorwootenfan Posted - 05/12/2002 : 9:32:25 PM
yeap, howard levy, from back in the old school flecktones days. he played harmonica and keyboards. i could never really get into much of the stuff he did, i like jeff coffin better, but still he is really good. he has his own howard levy band now, but i haven't heard them yet.

{=HTG=} Posted - 05/12/2002 : 7:14:36 PM
Didn't the Flecktones used to have a harmonica player? I read reviews saying he was incredible, and could play notes that people never knew could be played on a harmonica.

powdrdogdmb Posted - 05/12/2002 : 6:11:56 PM
Also a late response but Outbound is an unbelievable album. If you guys like it I also suggest buying "Live Art."
Peace Be With
-WBB

revrendmaynard14 Posted - 05/12/2002 : 12:57:05 PM
I've got the Riders on the Storm cover too, it is quite good.

*~Kaleigh~*
victorwootenfan Posted - 05/12/2002 : 12:52:50 PM
my downloads are usually random phish songs i've never heard. i just got recently a good good dave cover song. it's dave with the agents of good roots covering riders on the storm. his jim morrison like vocals are sooo perfect. plus he's talking in the beginning of the song about how stoned he is! its great!

{=HTG=} Posted - 05/12/2002 : 03:18:47 AM
Outbound was the first Flecktones CD my friend listened too, and after being impressed, he downloaded some songs of DMB and Flecktones together. He's got a decent collection going so far.

victorwootenfan Posted - 05/11/2002 : 9:50:25 PM
i know this is a late response to this post, but i'll respond anyway. i think the album is pretty cool. it's a very polished up release by the flecktones, and i love wooten's talk part during earth jam too. i learned the beginning bass lick to that, but the right hand fingering is kinda hard. i still don't have it up to speed yet.

{=HTG=} Posted - 03/02/2002 : 7:04:30 PM
Hell yeah DirtySloth. I'll look into that (right now, the small cash I have is deticated to gas. . . .sigh*)

dirtysloth Posted - 03/02/2002 : 6:59:04 PM
I do. Great album. Especially love Vic's talk during Earth Jam... "Getting paid by the note".... then he must really make a good living. Their DVD just came out a few days ago. I'm gonna pick it up as soon as I get the money and you should too!

Peace,
Patrick

http://members.tripod.com/one4tim/index.htm

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000