Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Computer experts>>>

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Silky The Pimp Posted - 02/13/2002 : 02:32:36 AM
I just upgraded from Win98 to XP... everything seems to be working perfectly, but I now have this unbelievably annoying humming/static sound in the background coming through my speakers. It seems to coincide with the sounds that my hard drive is making, plus it makes a special hum/static sound when I click the mouse, type a key on the keyboard, or even when I move the mouse I get this funky Star Wars light saber kinda sound. Any ideas what this may be or how to fix it? The wierdest part of it is that all sound seems to be functioning perfectly. Any ideas fellas?
-J

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Silky The Pimp Posted - 03/01/2002 : 11:34:09 AM
Tru dat.
-J

Saint Jude Posted - 03/01/2002 : 10:25:45 AM
u can do that but if u have to whipe the drive completely it takes the rest of the partitions off.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 03/01/2002 : 03:02:32 AM
Not sure if you're right about that... my roommate had to do a clean install on his partitioned drive. Formatted C: and the partition remained as though it were a completely seperate hard drive.
-J

Saint Jude Posted - 03/01/2002 : 12:55:04 AM
not really, cuz a partition is still just one drive... but devided into two... so if u have to wipe that drive u have to wipe the partitions on it as well.

Silky The Pimp Posted - 03/01/2002 : 12:29:28 AM
The biggest advantage, so far as I can see, is that you can save the things that you want to on your partition, and that way if something fucks up and you need to do a clean install of an o/s, you're good to go without loosing anything.
-J

enthuTIMsiast Posted - 02/28/2002 : 11:29:03 PM
I guess that somewhat makes sense. So it doesn't help anything, really, as in the speed of the computer. But it does help with organizational things within the computer?

But if being disorganized doesn't slow my computer down (being un-partitioned) why would I want to partition it? Maybe I'm missing something.

-Jason-

If you had a neck and I had hands, I would squeeze your brain, which is your body, right out the top of your head, which does not exist!
Saint Jude Posted - 02/28/2002 : 11:22:32 PM
it keeps things organized better... it doesnt necesarily make the computer run much faster... but windows doesnt like having alot of other things on the same drive that it is... but it doesnt really detur from the speed or anything.... its just for organizational purposes. i think i just went in a circle.... lotus should be able to help u oot better then i did.

enthuTIMsiast Posted - 02/28/2002 : 10:53:01 PM
This is something I meant to ask earlier. Why is it good to partition a drive (that's what I understood Black Lotus to say)? I mean, what are the advantages and all that. My dad's drive is partitioned, and I hate it. Maybe I just am not good enough on computers to understand...

-Jason-

If you had a neck and I had hands, I would squeeze your brain, which is your body, right out the top of your head, which does not exist!
Silky The Pimp Posted - 02/15/2002 : 4:37:10 PM
Ok I'm starting to think this may be hardware related like you said to start with... I uninstalled and reinstalled my sound card drivers, and the sound was still there even with no drivers installed. Now I looked everything over for a loose connection or bad ground like you said, but I didn't see anything... I'm sure I would be able to spot a bad wire connection, but what do I look for as far as a bad ground? I'm just trying to explore all options before I partition and start anew.
-J

Silky The Pimp Posted - 02/13/2002 : 4:55:37 PM
Forgive my numbskull computer skills... when you say fdisk.exe do you mean to run that from the dos prompt, or is that something that I can use while in windows? I think the last time I partitioned a drive was probably 6 or 7 years ago so I don't remember crap. Thanks for your help, it's always good to have someone around who actuall knows what the hell they're talking about.
-J

Black Lotus Posted - 02/13/2002 : 4:21:26 PM
fdisk.exe =) Or, use the partition utility during the 'blue screen' pre-setup portion of XP.

In windows xp, you can have NTFS, FAT32 and FAT16.

-----------
Trade my life for a barrel of gold.
Find someone else before I get too old.
If I live my life for aesthetic gain,
will you repay me with all your pain?
Silky The Pimp Posted - 02/13/2002 : 2:57:02 PM
Actually it's not partitioned at all right now... you don't happen to know off the top of your head how to partition in XP do you?
-J

Black Lotus Posted - 02/13/2002 : 2:37:49 PM
If you like how it's partitioned, leave it alone. In fact, just boot up off the XP Setup CD (if you can) and use the partition and format utility there.

If you can't boot from CD, boot up off a windows 98 floppy and format the hard drive. At the very least, format that thing before putting a new OS on it.

-----------
Silky The Pimp Posted - 02/13/2002 : 1:47:02 PM
I haven't partitioned a drive in years... you think I should partition it, save what I want... format the other part and do a clean install?
-J

Black Lotus Posted - 02/13/2002 : 1:15:30 PM
The only REAL way to install a new OS:

1. Repartition HD (if necessary).
2. Reformat HD
3. Install OS
4. Configure System

INstalling an OS on top of another OS as an 'upgrade' will always, always cause problems. Period, enf of story, do not do it.

-----------
Silky The Pimp Posted - 02/13/2002 : 12:41:52 PM
That is an option, but a last resort. I know when it was installing it said it has an uninstall such that I can go back to 98... so I'll probably do that before I go through the trouble of backing up on my roommate's computer and formatting. I'm still waiting to hear back from Microsoft help on this one.
-J

Saint Jude Posted - 02/13/2002 : 12:10:47 PM
somethin u might have to end up doing is save the stuff u want on your comp somewhere else, whip your drives and re-install xp completly. Not to scare u but hopefully that would solve it.

Silky The Pimp Posted - 02/13/2002 : 12:08:23 PM
Ok I'll check it out... the reason I think it has something to do with XP is that it wasn't doing it immediately before I upgraded. Hopefully I can find something loose.
-J

Black Lotus Posted - 02/13/2002 : 09:20:05 AM
You might have a bad ground wire somewhere. If you're skilled with hardware, take the case off the computer and make sure everything is tight and snug (including wiring). Also, check your surge supressor and power outlets for a bad ground - switch outlets as a test.

What you have is some type of wiring issue, this is most likely not related to the XP upgrade. I personally am having no issues, other than misc crap, with XP Professional.

-----------
pcbTIM Posted - 02/13/2002 : 04:50:53 AM
I'd suggest keeping it! I'd love to have a light saber sound whenevr I use the mouse. That alone could provide hours of entertainment.

"I do what I can with what I've got."

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000