Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Ben Harper ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jason Posted - 02/05/2002 : 7:11:58 PM
Curious to know what is a good cd of his to get for someone who doesn't have any........I would like an acoustic album if he makes one...or if that is all he does even better...I just don't know...I know my buds on the board would be the ones to ask...thaks in advance for the info gang...

17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
victorwootenfan Posted - 10/05/2003 : 11:49:39 PM
wow i'm listening to burn one down now...what a good tune.

"if you're causing no harm, then you're alright with me"
rhymsesthecat Posted - 10/05/2003 : 7:13:58 PM
Ben Harper
Jay Posted - 10/05/2003 : 10:49:05 AM
Who?
rhymsesthecat Posted - 10/04/2003 : 11:27:39 PM
did he do a song called "Gospel"?
imjustchillin Posted - 09/26/2003 : 11:55:12 PM
if you like acoustic stuff i'd advise you to pick up his first album (welcome to the cruel world). i've been listening to this a lot lately actually. his new one is great as well (diamonds on the inside).
thomasode Posted - 09/23/2003 : 8:16:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jay

Anyone that likes BH's lapslide should check out Kelly Joe Phelps. BH kicks ass, but KJP is the GOD.

thanks for showin KJP to me I love him :)
soulsinger41 Posted - 09/22/2003 : 11:25:12 PM
what's up everyone! i am a big supporter of the singer/songwriter type musicians, becasue i think the best original music always comes in that direction and i have been a lnog time fan of dmb/tim reynolds. anyway, i recently got wind of this new artist -Leona Naess- by way of a friend at my Universal internship, and her new cd is amazing. she has a real soulfull, passionate voice that i loved even more when i saw her at a local gig in LA. definitely check out her new album at leonanaess.com if you want to hear from her! ~late~
Silky The Pimp Posted - 12/13/2002 : 5:04:27 PM
Hehe don't worry man I was joking... I actually like Ben Harper and have seen him live. I just happened to download some version of him covering Voodoo Chile a while back that was legitimately awful. It was honestly laughable it was so bad. I'm sure it was just a freak moment, but man it was some of the worst electric playing I've ever heard from someone with his kind of notoriety. Funny stuff.
Jay Posted - 12/13/2002 : 4:02:01 PM
Anyone that likes BH's lapslide should check out Kelly Joe Phelps. BH kicks ass, but KJP is the GOD.
Ccr152 Posted - 12/13/2002 : 12:59:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Silky The Pimp

My favorite song by his is called "I tried to cover 'Voodoo Chile' live, but I completely butchered so I'll hang my head in shame since I did neither Hendrix nor SRV justice with this aweful piece of shit of an attempt to play the blues."
-J

whoah man. first, there are different versions of his live voodoo chile cover. there are a couple shitty ones, but the version that is 8:38 (length of track) is amazing. anyone who attempts to play voodoo chile on slide guitar has got some balls. he also does it acoustic, which you should check out because i think you'd gain respet for him.

also, about him knowing nothing about blues: his grandparents run a music school in california, where ben used to spend a lot of time when he was a kid. taj mahal was giving a blues concert for the kids there, and was walking past a little practice room where someone was playing amazing slide guitar. he looked in the room and it was 14 year old ben harper. taj asked ben to tour with him on the slide, ben did it.

to those who want a cool song, check out "god fearing man" off 'fight for your mind.' amazing improvisational slide stuff, at one point he makes his guitar sound like a chainsaw.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/13/2002 : 12:39:06 PM
I can't answer your question (cause I never listen to the albums I have by him...I think I have two)... But I'll just throw this out there. Ben Harper plays a lot with Jack Johnson. He plays slide in JJ's biggest hit yet (Flake). Just thought that was cool.
victorwootenfan Posted - 12/12/2002 : 9:38:08 PM
I need a cd by this guy! any suggesions? i have a little bit of him on my bonnaroo cd, and everytime i see him on Trio i think how awesome he his. Help?
Jason Posted - 02/06/2002 : 3:03:51 PM
I ended up getting this litte box set with Fight for your mind, The will to live, and Welcome to the Cruel World...so far so good....I only wish I would have gotten in to him sooner....Thanks gang...I recommend getting anything by him that you can...every song that I have heard so far is going in to my "songs I play by other people" folder to sing and play for friends and family..and strangers too sometimes...

Erich with an h Posted - 02/05/2002 : 9:27:31 PM
Burn to Shine is in my player now, get that one.

the two songs i posted were "roses from my friends" and "walk away", from two other seperate albums.

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
The Tim Reynolds Tour and Recording Database
Silky The Pimp Posted - 02/05/2002 : 9:24:22 PM
My favorite song by his is called "I tried to cover 'Voodoo Chile' live, but I completely butchered so I'll hang my head in shame since I did neither Hendrix nor SRV justice with this aweful piece of shit of an attempt to play the blues."
-J

LizT Posted - 02/05/2002 : 9:18:24 PM
I don't own any of his cd's. But I did see Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals open for DMB a few times. Good times!! Got a cool fridge magnet they were giving out at the show too..

pcbTIM Posted - 02/05/2002 : 8:39:56 PM
I think Erich w/ an h would definetely know that. I only know one song called Jah Work, and I love it. Erich posted lyrics from two others songs on another post, but didn't say what they were called.

"I do what I can with what I've got."

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000