Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 You have to check this guy oot!!!!! Robin Trower

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jay Posted - 02/01/2002 : 4:34:03 PM
Robin Trower...great guitar player....he plays heavier stuff and some blues stuff...his earlier stuff is like Hendrix type music...I'd recomend Too Rolling Stoned ( I know lay off the weed Jay...) daydream, or bridge of sighs. also if you ever feel like it check oot Kelly Joe Phelps if yer into blues shit...he's really good too!

Jay
My last name is confusing...It is Spelled Wiegand but is pronounced Weegend...another insult to the English language...
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Evergreen Posted - 05/31/2002 : 08:26:31 AM
Bridge of Sighs has always been a favorite.
Everything on the recording is really interesting stuff.
Especially the intro guitar on the song BoS.
That spacy sound he gets with his electric guitar
is pretty cool.

Fluffy, as always thanx for the music info.
Your encyclopedia of knowledge never ceases to
amaze me. A friend has been telling me about
Elmore for quite some TIMe. I guess its TIMe
to check it out.

Fluffy Posted - 05/02/2002 : 7:44:21 PM
Glad you got a chance to check him out and liked him. I think he is pretty amazing. Especially given that he is one of the true originators. Imagine coming up with a style like that without benefit of all the examples we have of it now. Truly innovative!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Jay Posted - 04/23/2002 : 8:24:20 PM
Fluffy, i might have told you this before, but yes i did check oot Elmore James...he's great!

Jay
My last name is confusing...It is Spelled Wiegand but is pronounced Weegend...another insult to the English language...
pcbTIM Posted - 04/23/2002 : 7:49:52 PM
quote:

I would never plagarize, would I pcbdmb!

Lay off the plagarizing, Fluffy!

"Life is what you make of it, not what you take from it."
Fluffy Posted - 04/23/2002 : 09:35:52 AM
FIRE, FIRE, FIRE

Fire is kewl! huh huh huh huh

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 04/23/2002 : 08:38:47 AM
I didn't write it, copy and paste my friend, copy and paste!

See at the bottom where it gives Cub Koda's name as the author. I would never plagarize, would I pcbdmb! HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 04/23/2002 : 08:35:35 AM
quote:

No two ways about it, the most influential slide guitarist of the postwar period was Elmore James, hands down. Although his early demise from heart failure kept him from enjoying the fruits of the '60s blues revival as his contemporaries Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf did, James left a wide influential trail behind him. And that influence continues to the present time -- in approach, attitude and tone -- in just about every guitar player who puts a slide on his finger and wails the blues. As a guitarist, he wrote the book, his slide style influencing the likes of Hound Dog Taylor, Joe Carter, his cousin Homesick James and J.B. Hutto, while his seldom-heard single-string work had an equally profound effect on B.B. King and Chuck Berry. His signature lick -- an electric updating of Robert Johnson's "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom" and one that Elmore recorded in infinite variations from day one to his last session -- is so much a part of the essential blues fabric of guitar licks that no one attempting to play slide guitar can do it without being compared to Elmore James. Others may have had more technique -- Robert Nighthawk and Earl Hooker immediately come to mind -- but Elmore had the sound and all the feeling.A radio repairman by trade, Elmore reworked his guitar amplifiers in his spare time, getting them to produce raw, distorted sounds that wouldn't resurface until the advent of heavy rock amplification in the late '60s. This amp on 11 approach was hot-wired to one of the strongest emotional approaches to the blues ever recorded. There is never a time when you're listening to one of his records that you feel -- no matter how familiar the structure -- that he's phoning it in just to grab a quick session check. Elmore James always gave it everything he had, everything he could emotionally invest in a number. This commitment of spirit is something that shows up time and again when listening to multiple takes from his session masters. The sheer repetitiveness of the recording process would dim almost anyone's creative fires, but Elmore always seemed to give it 100% every time the red light went on. Few blues singers had a voice that could compete with James's; it was loud, forceful, prone to "catch" or break up in the high registers, almost sounding on the verge of hysteria at certain moments. Evidently the times back in the mid-'30s when Elmore had first-hand absorption of Robert Johnson as a playing companion had deep influence on him, not only in his choice of material, but also in his presentation of it.Backing the twin torrents of Elmore's guitar and voice was one of the greatest -- and earliest -- Chicago blues bands. Named after James's big hit, the Broomdusters featured Little Johnny Jones on piano, J.T. Brown on tenor sax and Elmore's cousin, Homesick James on rhythm guitar. This talented nucleus was often augmented by a second saxophone on occasion while the drumming stool changed frequently. But this was the band that could go toe to toe in a battle of the blues against the bands of Muddy Waters or Howlin' Wolf and always hold their own, if not walk with the show. Utilizing a stomping beat, Elmore's slashing guitar, Jones's two-fisted piano delivery, Homesick's rudimentary boogie bass rhythm and Brown's braying nanny-goat sax leads, the Broomdusters were as loud and powerful and popular as any blues band the Windy City had to offer. But as urban as their sound was, it all had roots in Elmore's hometown of Canton, MS. He was born there on January 27, 1918, the illegitimate son of Leola Brooks and later given the surname of his stepfather, Joe Willie James. He adapted to music at an early age, learning to play bottleneck on a homemade instrument fashioned out of a broom handle and a lard can. By the age of 14, he was already a weekend musician, working the various country suppers and juke joints in the area under the names "Cleanhead" or Joe Willie James. Although he confined himself to a home base area around Belzoni, he would join up and work with traveling players coming through like Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf and Sonny Boy Williamson. By the late '30s he had formed his first band and was working the Southern state area with Sonny Boy until the second world war broke out, spending three years stationed with the Navy in Guam. When he was discharged, he picked off where he left off, moving for a while to Memphis, working in clubs with Eddie Taylor and his cousin Homesick James. Elmore was also one of the first "guest stars" on the popular King Biscuit Time radio show on KFFA in Helena, AR, also doing stints on the Talaho Syrup show on Yazoo City's WAZF and the Hadacol show on KWEM in West Memphis. Nervous and unsure of his abilities as a recording artist, Elmore was surreptitiously recorded by Lillian McMurray of Trumpet Records at the tail end of a Sonny Boy session doing his now signature tune, "Dust My Broom." The legend has it that James didn't even stay around long enough to hear the playback, much less record a second side. Mrs. McMurray stuck a local singer (Bo Bo Thomas) on the flip side and the record became the surprise R&B hit of 1951, making the Top Ten and conversely making a recording star out of Elmore. With a few months left on his Trumpet contract, Elmore was recorded by the Bihari brothers for their Modern label subsidiaries, Flair and Meteor, but the results were left in the can until James's contract ran out. In the meantime, Elmore had moved to Chicago and cut a quick session for Chess, which resulted in one single being issued and just as quickly yanked off the market as the Biharis swooped in to protect their investment. This period of activity found Elmore assembling the nucleus of his great band the Broomdusters and several fine recordings were issued over the next few years on a plethora of Bihari-owned labels with several of them charting and most all of them becoming certified blues classics.By this time James had established a beach-head in the clubs of Chicago as one of the most popular live acts and regularly broadcasting over WPOA under the aegis of disc-jockey Big Bill Hill. In 1957, with his contract with the Biharis at an end, he recorded several successful sides for Mel London's Chief label, all of them later being issued on the larger Vee-Jay label. His health -- always in a fragile state due to a recurring heart condition -- would send him back home to Jackson, MS, where he temporarily set aside his playing for work as a disc jockey or radio repair man. He came back to Chicago to record a session for Chess, then just as quickly broke contract to sign with Bobby Robinson's Fire label, producing the classic "The Sky Is Crying" and numerous others. Running afoul with the Chicago musician's union, he returned back to Mississippi, doing sessions in New York and New Orleans waiting for Big Bill Hill to sort things out. In August of 1963, Elmore returned to Chicago, ready to resume his on-again off-again playing career -- his records were still being regularly issued and reissued on a variety of labels -- when he suffered his final heart attack. His wake was attended by over 400 blues luminaries before his body was shipped back to Mississippi. He was elected to the Blues Foundation's Hall of Fame in 1980 and was later elected to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame as a seminal influence. Elmore James may not have lived to reap the rewards of the blues revival, but his music and influence continues to resonate. ~ Cub Koda, All Music Guide

Fluffy, some of the books I read aren't even that long.

-What-
Fluffy Posted - 04/23/2002 : 07:25:28 AM
Hey Jay, did you ever get a chance to check out Elmore James?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 03/24/2002 : 09:33:49 AM
Hey Jay, did you get a chance to check out any of the above selections? LMK when you do and what you think!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 03/10/2002 : 6:09:03 PM
Oh my god, I can't believe I forgot to link one of the all time greats!! Elmore James. The King of Slide!!

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1854805838/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/popsearch.html/clickID=tn_srch_txt

No two ways about it, the most influential slide guitarist of the postwar period was Elmore James, hands down. Although his early demise from heart failure kept him from enjoying the fruits of the '60s blues revival as his contemporaries Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf did, James left a wide influential trail behind him. And that influence continues to the present time -- in approach, attitude and tone -- in just about every guitar player who puts a slide on his finger and wails the blues. As a guitarist, he wrote the book, his slide style influencing the likes of Hound Dog Taylor, Joe Carter, his cousin Homesick James and J.B. Hutto, while his seldom-heard single-string work had an equally profound effect on B.B. King and Chuck Berry. His signature lick -- an electric updating of Robert Johnson's "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom" and one that Elmore recorded in infinite variations from day one to his last session -- is so much a part of the essential blues fabric of guitar licks that no one attempting to play slide guitar can do it without being compared to Elmore James. Others may have had more technique -- Robert Nighthawk and Earl Hooker immediately come to mind -- but Elmore had the sound and all the feeling.A radio repairman by trade, Elmore reworked his guitar amplifiers in his spare time, getting them to produce raw, distorted sounds that wouldn't resurface until the advent of heavy rock amplification in the late '60s. This amp on 11 approach was hot-wired to one of the strongest emotional approaches to the blues ever recorded. There is never a time when you're listening to one of his records that you feel -- no matter how familiar the structure -- that he's phoning it in just to grab a quick session check. Elmore James always gave it everything he had, everything he could emotionally invest in a number. This commitment of spirit is something that shows up time and again when listening to multiple takes from his session masters. The sheer repetitiveness of the recording process would dim almost anyone's creative fires, but Elmore always seemed to give it 100% every time the red light went on. Few blues singers had a voice that could compete with James's; it was loud, forceful, prone to "catch" or break up in the high registers, almost sounding on the verge of hysteria at certain moments. Evidently the times back in the mid-'30s when Elmore had first-hand absorption of Robert Johnson as a playing companion had deep influence on him, not only in his choice of material, but also in his presentation of it.Backing the twin torrents of Elmore's guitar and voice was one of the greatest -- and earliest -- Chicago blues bands. Named after James's big hit, the Broomdusters featured Little Johnny Jones on piano, J.T. Brown on tenor sax and Elmore's cousin, Homesick James on rhythm guitar. This talented nucleus was often augmented by a second saxophone on occasion while the drumming stool changed frequently. But this was the band that could go toe to toe in a battle of the blues against the bands of Muddy Waters or Howlin' Wolf and always hold their own, if not walk with the show. Utilizing a stomping beat, Elmore's slashing guitar, Jones's two-fisted piano delivery, Homesick's rudimentary boogie bass rhythm and Brown's braying nanny-goat sax leads, the Broomdusters were as loud and powerful and popular as any blues band the Windy City had to offer. But as urban as their sound was, it all had roots in Elmore's hometown of Canton, MS. He was born there on January 27, 1918, the illegitimate son of Leola Brooks and later given the surname of his stepfather, Joe Willie James. He adapted to music at an early age, learning to play bottleneck on a homemade instrument fashioned out of a broom handle and a lard can. By the age of 14, he was already a weekend musician, working the various country suppers and juke joints in the area under the names "Cleanhead" or Joe Willie James. Although he confined himself to a home base area around Belzoni, he would join up and work with traveling players coming through like Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf and Sonny Boy Williamson. By the late '30s he had formed his first band and was working the Southern state area with Sonny Boy until the second world war broke out, spending three years stationed with the Navy in Guam. When he was discharged, he picked off where he left off, moving for a while to Memphis, working in clubs with Eddie Taylor and his cousin Homesick James. Elmore was also one of the first "guest stars" on the popular King Biscuit Time radio show on KFFA in Helena, AR, also doing stints on the Talaho Syrup show on Yazoo City's WAZF and the Hadacol show on KWEM in West Memphis. Nervous and unsure of his abilities as a recording artist, Elmore was surreptitiously recorded by Lillian McMurray of Trumpet Records at the tail end of a Sonny Boy session doing his now signature tune, "Dust My Broom." The legend has it that James didn't even stay around long enough to hear the playback, much less record a second side. Mrs. McMurray stuck a local singer (Bo Bo Thomas) on the flip side and the record became the surprise R&B hit of 1951, making the Top Ten and conversely making a recording star out of Elmore. With a few months left on his Trumpet contract, Elmore was recorded by the Bihari brothers for their Modern label subsidiaries, Flair and Meteor, but the results were left in the can until James's contract ran out. In the meantime, Elmore had moved to Chicago and cut a quick session for Chess, which resulted in one single being issued and just as quickly yanked off the market as the Biharis swooped in to protect their investment. This period of activity found Elmore assembling the nucleus of his great band the Broomdusters and several fine recordings were issued over the next few years on a plethora of Bihari-owned labels with several of them charting and most all of them becoming certified blues classics.By this time James had established a beach-head in the clubs of Chicago as one of the most popular live acts and regularly broadcasting over WPOA under the aegis of disc-jockey Big Bill Hill. In 1957, with his contract with the Biharis at an end, he recorded several successful sides for Mel London's Chief label, all of them later being issued on the larger Vee-Jay label. His health -- always in a fragile state due to a recurring heart condition -- would send him back home to Jackson, MS, where he temporarily set aside his playing for work as a disc jockey or radio repair man. He came back to Chicago to record a session for Chess, then just as quickly broke contract to sign with Bobby Robinson's Fire label, producing the classic "The Sky Is Crying" and numerous others. Running afoul with the Chicago musician's union, he returned back to Mississippi, doing sessions in New York and New Orleans waiting for Big Bill Hill to sort things out. In August of 1963, Elmore returned to Chicago, ready to resume his on-again off-again playing career -- his records were still being regularly issued and reissued on a variety of labels -- when he suffered his final heart attack. His wake was attended by over 400 blues luminaries before his body was shipped back to Mississippi. He was elected to the Blues Foundation's Hall of Fame in 1980 and was later elected to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame as a seminal influence. Elmore James may not have lived to reap the rewards of the blues revival, but his music and influence continues to resonate. ~ Cub Koda, All Music Guide

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 03/10/2002 : 6:02:32 PM
I have heard of him, but I have never heard KJP. I intend on checking him out. If you like that kind of stuff you should check out Ben Andrews, Chris Whitley(solo especially), Sonny Landreth, Roy Rogers(not the old C+W guy but a great slide blues player, I have provided a link to him at the bottom)and Jimmy Thackery. JT has a great album with John Mooney(another brilliant player) called "Sideways in Paradise"(link provided below) Another great one is John Campbell, "Howlin Mercy" These guys are all GREAT slide players. ENJOY!!

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1854805838/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/discography.html/ArtistID=ROY+ROGERS+(BLUES)

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1854805838/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=THACKERY*JIMMY/itemid=298266

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1854805838/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/discography.html/ArtistID=THACKERY*JIMMY+&+THE+DRIVERS

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1854805838/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/discography.html/OrderBy=1/ArtistID=LANDRETH*SONNY/

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1854805838/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/discography.html/ArtistID=CAMPBELL*JOHN

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Jay Posted - 03/10/2002 : 5:45:49 PM
i agree Fluffy. DO you like blues? OYu might have heard of this dude before, but if not, and if you like blues, check him oot: http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1267

Jay
Fluffy Posted - 03/10/2002 : 5:38:51 PM
Glad I could turn you on to some new tunes!!! I think Mahoganey Rush are great, and Frank Marino is quite underrated as a guitar player. Much the same way TR is, except by all of us who hold his playing in the highest regard!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Jay Posted - 03/10/2002 : 5:17:36 PM
checked 'em oot, Fluffy! Very cool music right there!

Jay
Fluffy Posted - 03/03/2002 : 08:23:11 AM
If you are looking for something very Hendrix-like, I would highly advise checking out Mahogany Rush. The guitar player is Frank Marino. I would recommend checking out their first 3 albums, Maxoom, Child of Novelty and Strange Universe. Great records. Actually all their records are great, but the first 3 are amazing and the most Hendrix-like. I don't know if they have come out on CD or not. MR is from Montreal Canada, so I bet Jay can probably find them easier than anyone. Even if they have not come out in the USA, I bet they have in CANADA. The 3 albums I recommended are often times compared to Hendrix and not just because they are a power trio. They still tour to this day. I would highly advise guitar players to check out a show or at least the records. AMAZING!!! Here is a link to some more info on them. Careful its a long one!

http://ubl.artistdirect.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+SimpleRedirect?src=/music/artist/card&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eallmusic%2Ecom%2Fcg%2Fx%2Edll%3Fp%3Damg%26sql%3DB19103&site=1341202&artist=462209&priority=2&type=7

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Jay Posted - 02/17/2002 : 11:58:58 PM
Anybody? Kelly Joe Phelps is soooooo cool, check him oot on audiogalaxy, check oot the songs i said before, c'mon, he's great, blah blah blah....

Jay
dirtysloth Posted - 02/14/2002 : 9:15:49 PM
No comment... or um... nevermind.

Peace,
Patrick

http://members.tripod.com/one4tim/index.htm
Jay Posted - 02/11/2002 : 7:20:38 PM
Exactly...

Jay
Silky The Pimp Posted - 02/07/2002 : 11:38:46 AM
Hehe I KNOW who Frank Zappa is... I just tend to deny his existence.
-J

Evergreen Posted - 02/07/2002 : 10:12:12 AM
GEEEEZZZZ!!!!! You boys know who Robin Trower is yet you don't know about Frank Zappa!

Well I leave you with 3 things.......

It's been SURreal

That which does not kill you makes you stronger......I THINK!

And....LISTEN TO FRANK ZAPPA!!!.....all of it and often!!!!!

EVERGREEN 143
Jay Posted - 02/04/2002 : 5:13:49 PM
some good Kelly Joe Phelps songs are HArd Time Killin Floor BLues, Taylor John, See That My Grave Is Kept Clean, Katy, Captain Bootman...he is famous for his lap-slide guitar...and he is one heck of a geetar player...Trower is awesome, too, hopefully i'll see him sometiime soon...

Jay
FeelingDoors Posted - 02/03/2002 : 2:47:59 PM
Robin trower is awesome, i saw him play at bimbo's in Sf, it was one of the best shows i've seen

Still Strumming,
Will
Silky The Pimp Posted - 02/03/2002 : 2:15:27 PM
I love the blues... I will be sure to check it all out.
-J

Black Lotus Posted - 02/01/2002 : 4:35:38 PM
Hey Jay .... lay off the weed.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to check 'em out.

-----------
Trade my life for a barrel of gold.
Find someone else before I get too old.
If I live my life for aesthetic gain,
will you repay me with all your pain?

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000