Tericee's Marathon Fund Raising News
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2003 :  4:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just when you thought the world was a piece of shit, I have news from Teri's corner. I have her on the phone and she wanted to share this story and good news with all as soon as possible, and as she will not be able to be on the board soon, she wanted me to pass it on.

Here it is from Tericee via me:

The saturday training site is also a dog park. Today as I was earning $20 as a water volunteer a woman with 3 cute little doggies(Tericee's word not mine)and asked about our marathon program. We chatted for a little while and then she said she donates to APLA every year. She started to walk away, but then turned to me and said, "If I donated to you that would be the same thing, right?" And I(Teri)said "It all goes to the same charity!" She said "I have my checkbook in my car, would you like to walk with me?" As we arrived at her Mercedes station wagon(this is LA), her 3 dogs jumped into the leather backseat and then she wrote out a quick check. She folded it over and handed it to me and said, "Good luck with your marathon!" I thanked her very much and went upon my MARY way. When I got to the car, I unfolded the check, and could not believe that it said $1000!!!!
(line inserted at Tericee's behest)NEW PARAGRAPH
As many of you know, Jan 31st is my deadlinne for raising my 1st $1000, until today, I had $370. They were going to take the rest off my already over-extended credit card(thanx to Fluffy). So my next deadline for $2800 dollars is Feb 28th and hopefully another angel will drop a large check in my lap or a bunch of angels will drop smaller checks my lap.

Special thanx to my friends on the board who have already contibuted to my good fortune, PJK, Evergreen, and pcbTIM!!! You guys ROCK!!!

(Tericee will be checking the grammer and correcting any of my mistakes, you can be assured!)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2003 :  04:23:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
To find out more information about Tericee's marathon, her progress, or to make a donation, please click on the following link:

http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.jsp?runner=LAVN-2178

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2003 :  6:43:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just saw Teri yesterday. She came by my work and I gave her a nice donation. Pretty funny. If she hadn't shown up within the hour, I would have made the donation via the internet.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2003 :  11:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yay! Thank you! It's always fun to chat with Patrick at work.

I mailed the checks (Patrick's and the stranger's) from the 24-hour post office near LAX so they would arrive at AIDS Marathon HQ with PLENTY of time to be added to my account before Friday. I'll be so happy when a four digit number shows up in my marathon account statement!!!

Next fundraiser: one that costs me nothing! On Feb 16th, I'll be throwing a "Southern Living" home decorating party. Regardless of how many people show up (and I only need about 5), I'll get $100 to add to my account.

Wheee!

teri

p.s. Patrick, you'll have to check my website (see Fluffy's link above) to make sure I spelled your name right in my donor scroll...
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  10:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW Teri, that is an awesome story! Who says ther aren't any angels? Sounds like she has some pretty lucky dogs too,hehe. You gotta love dog people! (even if you are a cat person at heart, hehe!)

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2003 :  1:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got four more $15 checks in the mail this week too: so that's $60 to add to the coffers. Actually, two of them are made out to me, so they will go into my "I hope I find a friend who works at a company that does charitable gift matching!" pile.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  4:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well Teri, I wanted it to be a last minute surprise, so I could be your angel, but I talked to Rich and Seth about sponsoring you. Here is what I have worked out. I will be taking up a collection at 9:30 club from the staff to donate to your run and Rich and Seth said they would be happy to match whatever I can collect from the staff. So you will have the 9:30 club sponsoring you. Hope this helps. I hope to begin collecting this week. I love you sis!! All your selfless acts constantly remind me of what a wonderful person you are and how lucky I am to have you as a sister.

PS:(I hope you aren't crying right now, and if you are, I hope it's for the RIGHT reasons. HEHE I LOVE YOU!!)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  6:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You are sooooo great! Tell everyone at the club I owe them a great big hug as soon as I visit again someday!

teri :)

p.s. I'm not crying, but I did get a little sniffle.
Go to Top of Page

Captain Petersburgh
Yak Addict

Canada
779 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  6:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Captain Petersburgh an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey thats exellent. running can acomplish so much. track is one of my hobbies and i thoght that it would be cool when i'm,older to go into one o' those running for charity thingys

A nice word and a gun will get you alot farther than just a nice word
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  6:55:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Or you could live vicariously thru Tericee and just donate money to her run HEHE. That way you can cut out that nasty middleman, the running part. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  7:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awe...Fluffy, I got sniffley and I am not even your sister!!!! What a wonderful person you are!

Teri, you can count on more support from me as well. Thanks for giving so much of yourself for such a worthy cause.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Captain Petersburgh
Yak Addict

Canada
779 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  7:24:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Captain Petersburgh an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey whats wrong w/ running?

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  04:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I guess nothing is WRONG with running, it's just that I prefer a nice leisurely stroll or a bike ride. Easier to stop and smell the roses and you are less likely to step in dog poop. I will end with my favorite quote on the subject:

"Running is for the birds!!!"

I actually heard someone say this once. I really had to laugh at them as they said it. Sometimes you need to slow down and pick your words a little more carefully. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Captain Petersburgh
Yak Addict

Canada
779 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  11:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Captain Petersburgh an AOL message  Reply with Quote
true i guess.... for serinic views got for walk. but that doesn't mean thatr u can't enjoy the senery while running.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  11:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but at that speed, while watching the scenery, you are more likely to step in POOP. HEHE I will stick to leisurely strolls or bike rides,that's just my preference, running is for the birds!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2003 :  09:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Fluffy, how did you make out with the collection at work? Hope they felt generous...did you hit them up for $ right after you stood in the wet and cold for 6 hours???? That was your perfect chance, looking pitiful always helps a cause, hehehe.

Or you could just say, "Come on, cough up some cash, ya know ya want to." hehehe

However you did it, I hope it helps Teri out, gosh every TIMe I think of how she is running her heart out for these causes it makes it easier for me to work out! Thanks Teri!

Go to Top of Page

Captain Petersburgh
Yak Addict

Canada
779 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2003 :  8:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Captain Petersburgh an AOL message  Reply with Quote
running shoes...:$45
running cloths :$65
stick on the side of the raod :free

finding out that the brown lump that you just stepped in is not dog shit....

Priceless

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  07:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

That's great......what whit, what humor, what comedy, what the heck am I doing, all I wanted to say was I got a huge laugh out of that one!hehehe

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  1:06:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Actually, where we run, you're more likely to step in horse droppings. We've gotten pretty good at noticing and avoiding them though.

teri
Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  2:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Is this where you say: "Flaming Moe, anyone?"

If so, I am getting in the loop.

So, uh, flaming moe anyone?
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  3:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the loop Spacemonkey! hehe

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  08:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTT because it looks like Teri exceeded her goal! Fluffy you and everyone at the 9:30 club should feel pretty good. That was a great thing you did helping out Teri with such a worthwhile cause!!! I think everyone who gave should feel pretty good!

So nice that there are fundraisers to help support reasearch! This is especially true with aids since it effects so many people and it seems the latest trial of the vaccine proved not to be effective. Without research there are no cures.

Way to go Teri!

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  4:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
More like "Way to go Fluffy!"

He raised $2800 all by himself! Which means I went WAY over my goal. There's a prize for people who raise over $4000: an AIDS marathon running jacket. I'm psyched that I will probably get one of those. Since this is my second AIDS marathon, I will wear it proudly!

teri
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  5:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geez Teri, I didn't realize it was that much! You're right,

WAY TO GO FLUFFY!

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  7:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Good luck tomorrow, Teri. You better do well. I've got a bet that you'll make it in the top 5. Don't dissapoint me....hehe.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  9:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Patrick. Tomorrow is the LA marathon. I'm training for the Vancouver Marathon. Still a couple of months away...

teri
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  11:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
D'oh! Well, that shows how often I pay attention. Haha. I think my step-dad is running in the LA marathon, but only like 6 miles to keep a friend of his company.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2003 :  01:56:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was going to try to go out and cheer on the slow pokes (> 6 hour marathon) but now I'm stuck inside doing homework. Gotta finish my master's or I'll never get promoted...

teri
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2003 :  07:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news Teri!!! That was so great of Fluffy to raise so much. You both deserve an award. Who knows maybe Bono will show up to present you with your jacket! I read that he was going to be showing up at a few fund raising events in the US to show his support of all the efforts being put forth even with the impending war. We get HIV/aids updates at work from the CDC which is where I read that. Pretty good source.
I'd rather have The Edge hand me the jacket, but hey Bono wouldn't be bad either!! HeeHee!
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2003 :  2:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You got that right! Any member of U2 would suit me just fine!

teri
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2003 :  3:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Teri, if Bono gives you the jacket, I want to hear all about it, every last detail!!!! hehehe That would be so cool!

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2003 :  10:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, my marathon is only 5 days away. I don't know for sure if results will be available online during the race, but in case they are, here's the URL:

http://www.adidasvanmarathon.ca/results_index.htm

Hopefully it will be searchable by name. If not, I have no clue what my number is, but will post when I find out (if I have access to Internet). I'll bring my BlackBerry and e-mail the info to Pam if I don't.

We'll be starting on Sunday at 6:30AM, and I hope to be done by 2:30. Even earlier would be better, but I'm trying not to set my hopes too high. Beating my other marathon time of 8:26 is my main goal.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  12:04:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GOOD VIBES GOING YOUR WAY TODAY TERICEE!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  8:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hmmmm, I can't seem to find Teri's name on the results page... there are a few Teri's but not a Tei Centner.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  9:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, I couldn't even find the results for todays race! Hope she did well, she is truely an inspiration to us all!

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  12:46:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys!!! I'm paying 69 cents per minute for Internet access at my hotel, but I wanted to let you know that according to my watch, I finished the marathon in 6 hours and 22 minutes! The results from my chip should show up by the end of today at

http://www.adidasvanmarathon.ca/results_index.htm

I cried coming across the finish line because this finish is two hours faster than my last marathon, which I ran in 8:24.

Thanks to everyone for their good vibes!!!

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  12:54:05 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations! And I'm very impressed!

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  8:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thank you!

Well, I'm home again, but the website is still not updated. Luckily I was able to buy a copy of The Province, a local Vancouver newspaper that printed the results of the WHOLE marathon, not just through hour 6.

It turned out I was only off by 27 seconds, which means I was very close to the start line. (We slow runners were given an early start at 0630, so normal average humans were able to stand right on the start line; it is usually reserved for world class runners. Many of our AIDS marathoners who run a 7 hour marathon got a TOTAL rush from standing right on the line.)

Anyway, my actual time was 6:21:33. Woo hoo!!! I'll post photos to my Yahoo! photo album once I have them developed.
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  9:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You beat your previous record by 2 HOURS?!?!?!?!? Pardon my French, but HOLY SHIT!!! That's unbelievable. I am blown away. Pretty soon you'll be outrunning those Kenyans and winning the prize money.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  11:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so proud of you Teri!

You are such an inspirtation! I can't imagine running THAT long!

WAY TO GO TERI!

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2003 :  01:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Holy Shit indeed, you were originally hoping not to set your hopes too high, but looks like you didn't have to worry about that at all!!! that is simply amazing, the most i ever remember running was about 3 hours straight, and that one day at a basketball practice, when I played in high school and that was when i was in the best shape of my life, since i've been out of basketball for the past 4 years i friggin get winded walking up a hill. congrats on blowing your goal away and kicking some major ass Teri!!!!!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2003 :  11:18:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I came in 4,146th. Interesting. Once they finally post the results on the website (if ever) I'll know how I did within my age group.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  9:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The website says I came in 4,148th. Here's what it said on there (finally):

FINAL Place: 4148
PLACE in SEX: 1857/2012 F
Place/TOTAL in DIVISION: 326/356
FINAL TIME: 6:21:33
PACE/MILE: 14:34

My friend John asked whether I'd be interested in the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon in San Diego in June. Hmmmm...
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2003 :  03:13:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got my photos back and posted one on my Yahoo! photo album. Click here to see it:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/tericee/vwp2?.tok=bcow0iRBqAnYHrDj&.dir=/Cool+Photos&.dnm=Corporate+Sponsorship.jpg&.src=ph
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2003 :  07:18:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Teri, Awsome picture! Love the "Fluffy's Sister" shirt!

I also thought your placement was pretty cool too! I'd still be running if it was me, hehe By the time I would get to the finish line I would be like "Hey where did everybody go?" hehe

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2003 :  9:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
More photos available in the Vancouver Marathon folder at the same location.

http://photos.yahoo.com/tericee/

Just click "Cool Photos" and then choose the only folder icon in the list. Or for the slide show, click here

One cool thing about the photo taken at the finish, is that the clock is counting from the 7:15 official Marathon start. We went out early at 6:30AM so it looks like I ran 45 minutes faster than reality.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  7:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
One of my running mates, Michael, created an online comic of our marathon exploits. I'm in there at least three times, but even without me it would be really cool. If you'd like to give it a look, visit http://www.calasstudio.com/vancouver/van_page_01.htm
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  10:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was great Teri! I really enjoyed that!

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2003 :  09:54:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool Pics!! And congrats! Fluffy should have a shirt thats says....
Teri's brother.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  03:11:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey, there's an idea. I might have to get him a shirt like that...

Speaking of which... During the marathon, a couple of people yelled, "Go Fluffy's sister!" and one encouraged me with "Go 9:30!" But one guy, as he passed me, asked, "Who's Fluffy?" I didn't know what else to answer except, "My brother." He probably found that a little annoying. Oh well.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  03:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GASP! You mean there are poor souls out there in the world who've not heard of Fluffy!

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  11:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, we need more Canadians on the BOARD I guess...
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2003 :  7:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If anyone is interested, I ran my first non-charity marathon yesterday.

Some friends of mine decided to go to San Diego for the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon and talked me into coming along. There were bands (local ones, not big names) all along the route playing everything from Elvis music to African drum combos to Green Day. There was also a "running Elvis" team -- I think about five guys dressed as Elvis and ran the whole thing.

Toward the very end many of the bands were closing up shop, but one guy stayed on a stage and played an acoustic guitar all by himself since hundreds of us slow people were still passing by. When my friend, Laura, and I passed, he was playing Satellite; we clapped and said thanks for sticking around!

Laura had knee trouble, so we walked the last 5 or so miles. But we still came in only 16 minutes slower than my Vancouver time!

There is also a Rock 'n' Roll 1/2 Marathon in Virginia around Labor Day. As luck would have it, I will be there at that time. Registration is closed though, so the only way I can get into the race is to raise money for Leukemia. Here I go again...
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2003 :  9:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are too much Teri! Hey leukemia is a very worthy cause. My parents have very good friends who had a son who would have been my age but he died of Leukemia when he was 5. This man was an actor and played in the original film of Peter Pan with Mary Martin, he played the dog and the crocodile, hehe. He also did many shows on Broadway, anyway I named my son after their son (Billy Shelly). When my son was 3 he had a very good friend named Joshua (he never could say his name and called him Josh-wash, hehe) Joshua came down with leukemia and he died when he was 5 too! I couldn't believe it! I was sure now days kids wouldn't die of that disease but I was so wrong!

I never cried at anyones funeral as much as I cried at Joshua's. Having a son the same age made it all the more hard to deal with.

ok it gets even more strange.....one day I got a letter addressed to Billy Shelly! It sent shivers up my spine! Here the neighbors next door had their daughter and son-in-law living with them for a short while and I knew his name was Bill but didn't know his last name was Shelly! What are the chances of that happening?

So if you do that marathon, count me in for a donation.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  12:51:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tericee

"Go Fluffy's sister!"
But one guy, as he passed me, asked, "Who's Fluffy?"

Boy was that a stupid question.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  8:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

Hey leukemia is a very worthy cause.

I totally agree. Michelle Crosby, one of my sorority sisters in Virginia, was diagnosed with Leukemia in May 1998, when she was pregnant with her second child. She waited to get treatment until after she delivered, so that she was able to have a wonderful healthy daughter named Maggie.

In the meantime, Michelle's doctors looked for a marrow donor. Even though the National Marrow Donor Program has millions of people in its database, none of them were a good match for Michelle. So the Sigma Kappas (both college-age and alumnae) of DC and Northern VA banded together to sponsor marrow donor drives for Michelle. I can't remember how many people we registered, but we had about four big donor drives. They didn't result in a match for Michelle, but at least we added more people to the database so that other patients might find their match.

In conjunction with Maggie's birth, the hospital collected the umbilical cord blood, which they used for Michelle's first marrow transplant in September of '98. The transplant kept her going for about a year, but then they had to try another one. I got a note right around Christmas of '99 that Michelle had died, so I had kind of a crappy holiday that year. I think it's nice that she got to spend one more year with her kids, but I'm afraid they may not remember her since Maggie was just a baby and Harry wasn't even 5 yet.

When Crystal first suggested the AIDS Marathon Training Program (because she saw it in the LA Times) I also looked into Team in Training because of Michelle. In the end, the AIDS Marathon program seemed more geared toward beginners, as well as walkers, so we decided to sign up, even though neither of us knew a single person with AIDS. (We did meet several HIV+ people in the training program though.)

With the experience of three marathons now, I know how to train and I understand what does and doesn't work for me. I'm glad I was able to help the thousands of people in LA who count on the services of AIDS project Los Angeles, but I'm also looking forward to raising money for the cause that originally interested me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000