My Paper on Tim
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Antsfreak
Is Anybody Here?

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  6:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Antsfreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Throughout my life I have heard numerous, forgetable guitarists. But one day I came across Tim Reynolds, and my musical career took a turn toward something new and mysterious. Three major songs that have truly changed my musical life are Stream, Betrayal, and Caveman. The realms of instrumental music became readily apparent to me through the works of Tim Reynolds

I can remember the first time I ever heard Tim Reynolds play the guitar. It was a damp summer night and my friend Emma and I were sitting in her beat up Buick on Grandview Boulevard. Her boyfriend had dumped her and I was keeping her company, but like any teenage boy, I was hoping for more to transpire. Regardless, she put on Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City. The first song, Bartender, and due to the “self-medicating” we had done prior, seemed to cause the world to melt with Timmy’s swells. Never before had I heard such a sound, and certainly not from a guitar. His use of delay in relation to his swells were monumental in those days for me. After that night I could feel that I had experienced a very natural change, a change that was meant to happen. This of course could have also been a side-effect of the “self-medication,” but as is human nature, one likes very much to believe.

STREAM

I can recall hearing Stream for the very first time. As a guitarist myself coming from a classic rock, Zeppelin-esque background, using an acoustic guitar as a main instrument was foreign to me. Hearing the scales used in this piece, and the speed at which they were achieved blew my adolescent mind. And if that were not enough, eventually hearing the vintage recording of Dave and Tim at the Prizm Coffeehouse in 1993, in which the song is performed on a 12-string only further scattered the pieces of the instrumental genre which had already been so exploded by Tim. As a boy aspiring to be the rock star, guitar slung over his back, Tim Reynolds quickly became the summit of my aspirations.

BETRAYAL

When I first heard this song, I had to find a video. Even upon finding one, I still could not tell how Timmy played the opening run. The movement of the music creates such a beautiful creature, for lack of a better term. And the meaning behind the song, “John Kerry bowing out of the election ALL too soon” as Tim so thoughtfully put it, was highly noble in my opinion. It was the first I had ever heard of an instrumental piece having a motivation like that behind it and explained by the composer.

CAVEMAN

I first heard this song on YouTube, and I love the heaviness. Metal has never really been my forte, and perhaps it is only my bias towards Tim Reynolds that makes it so appealing but this is perhaps one of my favourite TR3 songs (my second favourite is perhaps OHIO, their Neil Young Cover.) The intro of Caveman is what really does it. This was one of the first TR3 songs I heard, and it trully speaks to me.

If I had to pick one musician that I could confidently say has changed my life, it would without a doubt be Tim Reynolds. From his instrumental powerhouse of music, to his exuberant band TR3, Tim Reynolds is one of the most influential musicians in the world as defined by me. He has definitely influenced my guitar playing, as well as my composition as far as what is possible. If I had the chance to thank him, I would do so very graciously.

Till we dance away

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  1:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Awesome paper! KUDOS Glad TR could inspire you so much. I will print it out & let him read it when he returns from Europe. Hopefully we will get a chance to meet you one day at a TR3 show & you can think him in person. Thanks for sharing your paper with us. I'm sure there are alot of folks here who can identify with your sentiments, including ME! PEACE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000