Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 The Lord Of The Rings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2001 :  02:01:16 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
...beautiful...

-Jason-

I am a servant of the power behind the nothing.

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2001 :  08:55:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I need to see it again before i can make my final judgement, but I like it. I was quite turned off by some of the bad acting during the happy parts (like Gandolf bumping his head on Bilbo's roof, and the fireworks). The dark parts were done very well though, the actions scenes were choppy at times.

Watching Sauron fuck up that army in teh beginning and the Cave Dwarf battle were my favorite parts... the balgrog was pretty tight too.

I'm jonesing for some Diablo or Warcraft 2 right now heh. Does anyone know when they're planning on releasing The Two Towerers?

Isaac

"And when King Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"
Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
1043 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2001 :  10:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does anyone know when they're planning on releasing The Two Towerers?

Isaac

"And when King Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"

Next Christmas. All three films are complete, they're just going to release each one on or near Christmas/Thanksgiving. So, you've got a year to go.

Kinda like the way they're releasing the Star Wars movies.

-----------------------
Look ma, new signature!
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2001 :  12:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In other words...a two year case of blue balls...until they finally finish releasing the movies....

....My stomach hurts....

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2001 :  2:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah I need to see it again before i can make my final judgement, but I like it. I was quite turned off by some of the bad acting during the happy parts (like Gandolf bumping his head on Bilbo's roof, and the fireworks). The dark parts were done very well though, the actions scenes were choppy at times.

Watching Sauron fuck up that army in the beginning and the Cave Dwarf battle were my favorite parts... the balgrog was pretty tight too.

My final decision is made. That was the best movie I've seen all year. I can see (I suppose) why you might be turned off by the bad acting, but really, I think that is how the book portrays the people, and I think they did an excelent job with making the characters look and act like they really do in the books. I was amazed how they did it, and glad, too.

But I think the acting was fitting for the book. I also liked the scenes you mentioned. Well, I really liked most of it. Except when Lothorien (or whatever her name is) went all ballistic when Frodor tested her with the ring...Man that scared the shiznit out of me. And then when Bilbo did the same thing....it was like the scene in Devil's Advocate when the women are trying on dresses and that one girls face goes all devilish or whatever. Caught me off guard.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2001 :  4:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm an extremely jaded and skeptical movie viewer these days. Especially with huge hyped up blockbusters, its easy to be so wraped up in the excitment and the experience that you kinda blind yourself to the little flaws which keep it from perfection.

Like Armageddon for instance, I saw it twice the day it opened. I was soo in awe of how kick ass the special effects and sound was that i left the theatre thinking it was one of the best movies i'd seen in a long time. Then i saw it a couple more times, now I can't even sit through it its so cheesey.

I'm not saying thats gonna happen with LOTR, but it is a good example of how hollywood can dump millions of dollars on distracting special effects which make you pay less attention to the acting or the screenplay.

Yeah that whole part where teh lady of the forest freaked out definatly had me underneath my seat shivering. Though at the same time she kinda reminded me of that chick from Reboot AHHA.

While I'm going against the flow and griping about the movie, did anyone else think that some of the action scenes were a bit choppy and hard to follow (some not all), and it also seemed like the effects weren't very polished for some parts, like the coloration was off or it didn't look right the way certain things interacted with the enviroment? For instance any wide shots of Frodo just didnt' look right to me.

Ah well still its all small observations, the story was magnificent, adn the acting/direction for the most part was great. I really love Elija Wood and the guy played Gandolf (though he didn't get as pissed as I imagined him to at parts). Alright i'm gonna shut up now.

Isaac

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2001 :  8:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Isaac, I can understand your skepticism. I generally don't go to the movies because the people that decide what should be made are morons. But I go sometimes, like for LotR. And sometimes, even the critics are right.

And, yeah, I surely did blind myself from the little flaws that keep that movie from being perfect. But really, something like Star Wars isn't perfect.

Well, I just decided that I'm not going to try to argue about this being a fabulous movie. We are both right, really. I think the coloration was for effect, and not a mistake. Acting, well, that's bad in a whole hell of a lot of movies. The wide shots to make Frodo look small and Gandalf look big did look pretty bad sometimes, yeah. A lot of times, really.

But all in all, it was about time that a good movie was made from those books. And all in all, the movie follows the book pretty well, I think. And that can't be said for a lot of movies / books.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2001 :  9:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may be caught up in the thrill of it, but this is the best movie I've seen in a long time, possibly ever. It's probably just from the satisfaction of seeing so many things the way I pictured them. I thought the casting was great, every character portrayed perfectly, and the settings were great.
Isaac, I agree that some of the fighting scenes were impossible to follow, could've just been the big screen though.
Along with the freaking out over the ring, I thought the wizard fight was kind of goofy.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2001 :  9:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jamie M, I think you hit on why it is that I like this movie so much. So many of the things are *exactly* like I had them pictured from reading the book. As a matter of fact, there were very few things that weren't like I had pictured them.

And I agree. This movie is now officially on the top three list. I'm not sure what the other two are, but I just want to be fair.

But about the fight scenes....I didn't have trouble following them...maybe I'm the one missing something, but I didn't have that problem...

Freekin' out over the ring was something tho....Caught me off guard...That's something I didn't picture from the book....

And yeah, the wizard fight was probably the cheesiest thing that I saw about that movie.

But it is still a favorite.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

krystal
Try A Little Harder

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2001 :  09:43:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw LOTR Wednesday and I thought it was very good. Not being a fantasy/Tolkien fan, I was skeptical, but the movie really impressed me.

Too bad we have to wait a year for the next installment.

Krystal

Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2001 :  09:54:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dunno I dug the wizard fight HAHA. It made me think of Vampire Hunter D (old anime) for some reason the way they just kick each others asses from across the room. They could've been throwing more lightening boldts and shit... and Gandalf should've gotten more pissed off (I always imagined Gandolf as having a big fucking temper, I loved when he freaked out on Bilbo in the beginning for trying to keep the ringt).

This may change when I see the whole series, but as of now I wouldn't put LOtR in my super ultimate top 10 ten movies. If I segmented my favorites into categories it'd definatly be in the top 5 in the epics and Fantasy categories.

Ya know all the little nitpicky flaws in the special effects, I think those were 90% a result of the special effects people being rushed to get this movie out by the holidays which pisses me off. I hope they have more time to polish the effects in the latter 2.

Oh and while i'm ranting this movie made me think of something. At some point probably like 50 years ago, a bunch of assholes in a board room set up a series of focus groups and basically decided that the entire american publics' attention span for movies is between 90-120 minuets. Granted most of the time that enough, but sometimes its not. I certainly don't think anyone whose making a movie should have to go into the movie making process worried about his viewers fucking attention span. Its basically like telling an artist he only has so many brushstrokes to work with. Seriously if there are people who refuse to see a movie because its over 2 hours then they should have their skin peeled off and be sent through a wood chippers. I want to see movies as the director intends, adn if that means I gotta sit down for 6 hours FINE, they can always throw intermissions in there or break them into multiple movies or something.

3----------------------->

Isaac
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  12:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of how you pictured things, did anyone else think the hobbits weren't quite hairy enough? Fine, their feet were hairy, but their legs weren't, nor were their faces. Maybe I'm way off the mark. Does anyone know exactly how the hobbits' physical characteristics are described in the book?

teri :)

p.s. Those crazy kids at MIT paid homage to LOTR a couple of weeks ago. Visit http://hacks.mit.edu/Hacks/by_year/2001/the_one_ring/ to read more.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  6:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, since you asked...I don't know, I thought they did fine with the Hobbits. I mean, they say their feet are hairy, and so they were, but I can't really even remember seeing their legs all that much...And I think it is readily evident from "The Hobbit" that they don't have beards, and little facial hair at that. (They always are talking about how long the dwarves beards are, but never mention Bilbo's beard or anything about that...maybe that's an assumption.)

So in my opinion, they did fine.

I think The Hobbit would make a hell of a movie, too.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  9:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'm sold. Hobbits have hairy feet only.

http://www.honolulumarathon.org (I ran under that sign!)
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2002 :  3:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You know, I just realized that I don't think there is a single Hobbit girl that plays a role in those books. Maybe not even a single named one. No, there are some named ones, but none of them are described...wonder why that is. Some of the other species had women...Galadriel, among others...But no important Hobbits.

Weird.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2002 :  4:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think women were pretty much considered to be lesser back in that day, and not suitable to appear in an adventure book. Tolkien seems like a pretty traditional type of guy.

I can actually think of 2 hobbit girls: Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, and then the one that Sam marries at the end(i think it's Rose?)

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2002 :  5:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was thinking there were actually some that were named, but I think none of them were main characters.

And yeah, I was thinking that in that time, women were not important. And I guess I just assumed that Tolkien was had that same mindset.

But you know what happens when you assume...you make an ass out of Uma Thurman.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2002 :  8:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I liked the movie a lot, but the ending was just terrible. "I'm glad you're with me Sam." That was sooo gay.

Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2002 :  11:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you were traveling into the land of Mordoor, hunted by the minions of a fairly omnipotent evil lord wouldn't you be glad you had at least 1 asshole with ya! HEHE there really is no good time to end any of those movies, they're all just series of action sequences, they couldn't ended it anywhere and people would still be pissed because the resolution doesn't come for a long time.

I watched the shitty old cartoon version of the LOTR this weekend. That animation is super freaky, and I hate that Aragon had those gross short shorts on. Though it was nice to see more of the story, its enough to get you excited about what some of that shits gonna look like on the big screen!

3----------------------->

Isaac
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2002 :  08:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I had to bring this one back to the top just so I could post this link someone sent me. Boy is it funny. I think you LOTR fans will really like it. It is hysterical.

http://home.nyu.edu/~amw243/diaries/

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2002 :  1:22:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hahaha, thats great fluff, i like golums especially... 'was forced to watch flipper repetedly'

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2002 :  04:50:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I thought all you LOTR fans would find that amusing! I am not even a HUGE fan and I LMAO!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2002 :  05:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My favorite part is when Legolas says I'm still the prettiest. Go me!

"I do what I can with what I've got."
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2002 :  07:46:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Legolas must never have seen Jon Soldo in the now infamous purple evening gown. Now thats PRETTY!!!

PRETTY fucking scary, that is!! HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  10:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
HILARIOUS!! I love it that people have time to write this stuff.

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  11:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I really thought you would get a kick out of it. I am only the minorest of LOTR fan and I found it hilarious. Glad you liked it.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000