09/15/07 Wilde Auditorium Univ of Hartford, CT
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  02:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
3 4 3!!! Another GREAT nite! How, after so many TR shows do you make one really special for Fluffy? Answer: Marcus Eaton and a brand new cover by TR. And not just any cover, but IMHO one of the best TR has ever attempted and boy was it fantastic. What was it you ask? "Well" by Captain Beefheart from the AMAZING album Trout Mask Replica. TR's version absolutely bowled me over. It even had Marcus in awe. The audience didn't know what to make of it at first(but I think that is the way the audience is for most of a TR show LOL) but responded very positively at the end. It's a unique song by a unique band covered by a unique artist in a VERY unique way, who could ask for more?

By the way, the rest of the evening was wonderful as well. Of course it's always a pleasure to have Marcus along for the ride. He entertained us all nite long with his impressions of Borat and Ali G.(which are spot-on by the way) as well as his new love of the charaters on the show Little Britian which TR just turned me onto not to long ago after it was recommended to him by Dave and crew on the European T&D tour. We had a great TIMe hanging with him and couldn't wait for his performance. As if a Marcus Eaton performance isn't enuf, he even graced us with a new track this evening. It's called(at least for now as he has not arrived at a definite title since it is so new) "What's the Difference". I think it is some of his best work to date. He is showing no indication of stagnating or running out of original ideas. His version of Story of Now tonite was also above par I thought. He really showcased his one-man-band on only one guitar approach on that one. He had so many layers and just the most amazing intricacies woven into the tapestry of just this one song that it was almost unbelieveable that there weren't backing tracks. To watch him do it so effortlessly is just watching pure mastery. I could go on, but I think by now most of you know exactly what I am talking about so I will finish this off with Marcus' setlist to the best of our memories:

Over You
Who U R
Victims
What's The Difference
Story of Now

After a short break, TR took the stage in front of another almost sold out crowd who resembled the "pin-drop quiet" crowd of the first show of this run. For lack of a better term it was a "delicate" performance. Not sure how else to describe it. It was full of NRG but at the same TIMe had a subtle quality that only happens when conditions are just right and I guess they were tonite. TR's setlist looked alot like this:

Ooze - The Surgeon Genitals
In Your Eye
Hug
Wall Socket
Betrayal
Che
To Ride The Time Machine
Noisy Neighbor High On the Meat
-------------------------------------
As Arfs We Can Smell
Healing of the Notions
Belly of the Beast
(Strom If Go)
Axiom
Beefheart
Death Squad TV
---------------------------------------
Space Ship Lollipop
We Are From Outer Space
Open Up
666 - Weird Balls
----------------------------------------
Levee Breaks
Doom
If The Ocean Had It's Way

If memory serves, I am pretty sure the setlist was played as is except that Stream was not requested so it didn't make it into the set. Another highlight of this AMAZING evening was the encore with Marcus. They did Rheginos but they did the most unique version of it to date. I will call it the breakdown version. After the encore when I walked them back to the dressing room they were jumping around, patting each other on the back saying how much fun it was and complementing each other on how good they were. It was pretty hysterical. I could tell they thought it was as good as I did. Just wait till you hear it. The show was recorded so all will have a chance to enjoy this fantastic performance. Marcus' set was also recorded.

Special thanx to Keith and his entire staff for making our return to the Univ of Hartford another awesome experience. I really believe the enviroment helps the NRG for a show. And we had lots of positive NRG all evening.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  03:59:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
lyrics to "Well" by Captain Beefheart from the album "Trout Mask Replica"

Light floats down day river on uh red raft o' blood
Night blocks out d' heavens like uh big black shiny bug
Its hard soft shell shinin' white in one spot well
It's uh hard place dat I'm livin' but I'm doin' well well
The white ice horse melted like uh spot uh silver well
Its mane went last then disappeared the tail
My life ran thru my veins
Whistlin' hollow well
I froze in solid motion well well
I heard the ocean swarmin' body well well
I heard the beetle clickin' well
I sensed the thickest silence scream
Then I begin t' dream
My mind cracked like custard
Ran red until it sealed
Turn t' wooden 'n rolled like uh wheel well well
Thick black felt birds uh flyin'
With capes of solid chrome
With feathers of solid chrome
'n beaks of solid bone
'n bleach the air around them
White 'n cold well well
Till it's shown in pain
The hollow cane clicked like ever after
Its shadow vanished shinin' silence
well well

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  07:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. Not sure I have a clue what they are talking about, but that might be because I am still not quite awake and haven't had my coffee yet. I am always intrigued by lyrics that aren't simplistic. I must visit this thread later and try to digest the words. I never heard the music.

Sounds like a great night. I still haven't had the chance to hear Marcus. I wish he was opening in Philly, but I saw they had two others opening, one who opened for TR the last time.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  2:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So I just listened to the Captain Beefheart version and it is soley vocals, was Tim's version with guitar?

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Chatterbox

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  3:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn man, I drove down to see Tim and Marcus here a few months ago, but I decided not to this time. What a fucking moron! I wish I had known Marcus would be there I definitely woulda been there.

Looks like an amazing set...is that "As Far As We Can See" in there? Jesus I missed a good show...
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  11:58:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KevinLesko

So I just listened to the Captain Beefheart version and it is soley vocals, was Tim's version with guitar?

Yes, TR accompanies it with the guitar. A very simplistic yet highly complimentary arrangement with only 1 or 2 notes. Very bluesy TR! His voice is so perfectly suited for this cover.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  12:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin
Looks like an amazing set...is that "As Far As We Can See" in there? Jesus I missed a good show...

Yes, I think it was. The recording will confirm it for sure.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Chatterbox

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  12:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Fluffy, not to be an ass, but are you the gentleman who always gets on stage after Tim finishes his encore, and puts away his guitars? Or are you the taller guy that usually has a backwards hat with a long pony tail? Either way, you two were really helpful a few months back at this venue (the backwards hat-ponytail dude hooked me up with Tim with a discussion over that classical song he throws in at the end of some songs: Chatterbox/Hopeful/etc.) Never got around to seeing you guys at Tupelo the other night tho...oh well; next time!
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  02:14:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to cut in on Fluffy, but...You're right on the money Kev. Fluff is the one with the backwards cap who usually lurks around the merch table. The gentleman who takes down TR's guitars and setup is Rew.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  08:40:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHA! More Fluffy/Rew confusion...awesome.

I think, Fluffy, that you could probably commit some extremely heinous crime and get away with it. No one could positively identify you. Or they'd just think the perpetrator was Ron Wood.
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  12:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be super duper awesome if whoever recorded this could get a version of "Well" ("Beefheart" on the setlist, I assume) out ASAP...

Super duper duper awesome...
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Chatterbox

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  01:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah thanks Arthen! ;)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly