New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kevin
Chatterbox

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  01:04:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still no thread for this show, so I guess I'll make it :P Such an amazing show, as usual. Started out with the Captain/Goldrush/Ohio thang; pretty unique I thought. Captain was done relatively softly; lots of volume swells, and Goldrush was actually done with a bit more of an edge than usual. Hmm...wish I could remember what was next. I think he played a song and than Betrayal. Betrayal was so good; Tim's an animal! Lot's of people were pretty pumped when he introduced the song, probably thanks to the RCMH release. Ancestor was played soon after, however. Kinda wish he would've sang the "to find relief" part an octave up, in his falsetto, but still a great take, all in all. He played a pretty sick new song about a Time Machine (or at least I haven't heard of it). I forget the exact name, but it was a pretty sexy song IMO. Vantage Point was really cool to hear too. Hopeful Heresy was great, as usual. He screwed up going into the A minor part (not sure how else to label it lol), but he covered pretty nicely, like always. He started to play what sounded like Chatterbox, but some ass shouted "Stream," so Tim proceeded to skip a song (Chatterbox?), and Tim went into an out of control Stream after switching to the 12 and playing (insert song here). Tim didn't go into Come Together in Stream, however...I didn't recognize what he was playing, but it was nasty either way. A really good cut of Stream. Introduced with a pretty funny segment about his slide :) Took a 15 second encore, and came out and played a beautiful arrangement based around a melody using harmonics. Kinda hoping to hear Seth Glier come back on with Tim during the encore, ala Marcus Eaton, but oh well! All in all a great show! Sorry to steal Fluffy's job...sure we'll hear from him soon though! I know I've forgotten a bunch of songs, and I can't wait to see the set to refresh my memory. Thanks TIM!!!!

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  02:55:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow Kevin, THANX! Great review, much better than mine. Yours has so much more flavor about the actual performance than the kind I usually write. First, I will fill in the blanks of the setlist:

Free Fall In Space
Captain Old Fuck
Hidden Variables
The Truth
Betrayal
To Ride The Time Machine
Dissolution
Picasso In Space Cubes
------------------------------
Ancestors
Arroyo
Healing Of The Notions
Belly of the Beast(Sorry Shame)
Vantage Point
Hands Full
-----------------------------
Molecular Infrastructure Rearrangement
Hopeful Heresy
We Are From Outer Space
Chatterbox
To The Next
Monet At All Times of the Day
--------------------------------
Coco
Ocean

As pointed out by Kevin, Chatterbox was ditched last minute for the Stream request. The middle section of Stream that we are used to being Led Zep was something new for TR to try, Neil Young "There's a World". Very kewl! Nice to hear a new piece make an appearance in Stream. Coco and Ocean were both scrapped as well and instead TR offered one of the kewlest, most unique covers I have ever heard him do, Bruce Springsteen "I'm On Fire". He did most of the song on harmonics if you can imagine that and when I told him how unique and wonderful it sounded he said that Bruce's unique vocal on the song inspired him to try and find a new and different way to recreate it. He opted for harmonics and boy was it kewl. There was also another premiere tonite, To Ride the Time Machine which went over really well. Even I had not heard that one before and when I asked TR about it he said it was one of few brand, brand new compositions he would be trying out on this run. I bet that one will stick around after the response it got tonite.

The show was recorded both by the soundman for audio and by Brian, who you may remember from the 2nd camera at the last Stone Church gig with JJ Kim, on video. I haven't had a chance to check out the recording but the soundman said he missed the first song. Other than that it should be complete except for the slight portion where we switched CD's. I hope to get copies to Brian to sync up with is video.

As for the rest of story, It was a wonderful nite in Londonderry weather-wise. It had been a beautiful day as well so we were all in a great mood. TR took a short walk thru the beautiful countryside after dinner and I think it sparked a spectacular performance. The audience was another "pin drop quiet" one so it was a pleasure. The venue is awesome as well. I had been there once before with Rickie Lee Jones and thought it would be the perfect venue for TR. Low and behold, 2 months later I am back with TR and to yet an even better venue than before. They had just put in a state of the art sound system between the TIMe I was there with RLJ and my return to the venue with TR. It sounded absolutely sweet in that room. They thru up an audience mic for ambience on the audio recording and since it was so quiet I am sure it helped to take away the sterility you get from most straight board recordings. With the first show being cancelled it gave us a day off to relax and leisurely make our way to NH so we were in the best of moods for what became the first gig of the TouR. TR said it was a great first gig for him as well.

If you are ever in the neighborhood and have a chance to see an artist you like at this venue I highly recommend it. It is a very listener friendly room. The audience that comes there like to watch the show. It's not a bar, in fact it's a "byob" operation. Unless of course you want to buy some wine from their amazing wine shop downstairs. The staff is unbelieveable and you can tell they love what they do and are just so proud of their venue. The walls in the place read like a who's who of amazing musicians. Alot of fine acts have graced that stage. Thanx to Scott, Dave and the entire staff at Tupelo Music Hall for a wonderful nite. We look forward to a return engagement. Oh and they gave us t-shirts which have this really kewl drawing of a guitar on the front. I was told it was drawn by one of the regulars and it is what they call a single-line drawing meaning that the guitar is drawn only by one continuous, uninterrupted line. Very KEWL! On the back the shirt just says: It's All About The Music

I think that says it all!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  03:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I just popped in the CD from tonite and it sounds awesome. In fact I guess when the soundman said he missed the first song he meant the noise piece that TR always opens the show with because the CD starts right at the beginning of COF. Very nice because I really liked TR's version tonite and was trying not to be bummed that it was missed. It's there in all it's glory and the recording sounds damn good. Can't wait to share.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

md91180
Is Anybody Here?

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  09:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit md91180's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Would someone be kind enough to fill me in? Where do these live recordings get posted? etree? On the site here? I was lucky to be at last night's show in Londenderry and couldn't agree with the first couple posts more. The venue was perfect and Tim sounded wonderful. I hope to hear from someone on where I might get a copy of the show...It's something I'd love to have for the collection.

Cheers.
MD

Cheers,
md91180
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  09:06:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin and Fluffy, thanks for the great reviews! Kevin, your review was perfect, don't ever worry about not saying something "just right."

Both reviews made this a perfect way to start a day, coffee and TR reviews!

Also made me even more excited to hear TR on Sunday! I hope "To Ride The Time Machine" is on Sunday's set list as well, since Kevin described it this way:
quote:
He played a pretty sick new song about a Time Machine (or at least I haven't heard of it). I forget the exact name, but it was a pretty sexy song IMO.

Thanks again for the reviews! Hope to see you Sunday, Fluffy. BTW, Dave, you going to be there? Jared?

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  1:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's one of my favorite Bruce songs! I can't wait to hear it! Thanks for the reviews everyone.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  7:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a great start to a tour! Thanks for the reviews guys!

Here are a few comments that showed up today on Tim's myspace about the show:

quote:
Great and awesome performance in Londonderry, NH tonight...thanks!!

quote:
hey tim- i just wanted to let you know you did a fabulous show last night. you are truly a talented being and we are blessed to have you share your gift with us. You also had me giggling up a storm!! i was in the way back in the corner on the bar stool...funny funny guy you are.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  11:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the myspace excerpts Kev. It's great that TR and his music seem to be really resonating with more and more people.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  11:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I can't wait to hear the Springsteen cover.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Chatterbox

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  02:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Springstein cover was pretty cool. Not my favorite part of the set, but pretty interesting. I can't wait to hear Healing of the Oceans and Belly of the Beast again :) Healing of the Notions/Oceans was really fun to hear; first time for me.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  11:08:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Article with interview from the Fairfield County Weekly:

Reynolds' Rap
Tim Reynolds: inter-dimensional traveler, Dennis Kucinich supporter, ace guitarist

By Sean Corbett

Tim Reynolds
Fairfield Theatre Company, 70 Sanford St., Fairfield. Sept. 14. 7:30 p.m. $42 non-members, $32 members. (203) 259-1036, www.fairfieldtheatre.org

It's been about eight years and countless sold-out Tim Reynolds shows since the widely acclaimed Dave and Tim CD Live at Luther College was released and some people still have no idea who that little guy is sitting next to Dave. The one who can make an acoustic guitar sound like a UFO landing in your backyard. They just know Dave has a friend named Tim.

Truth is, Dave Matthews wishes he was Tim Reynolds. In certain circles Reynolds is considered a visionary, a master, a living legend. And if you pick up one of his 15 solo CDs, you'll find yourself right there in those circles.

I've been listening to Reynolds since hearing Luther College in '99 and while my interest in his acoustic style led me to other musicians like Leo Kottke and Keller Williams, I've still never heard anything as true and honest as a Tim Reynolds song. The improvisation, the bizarre intricacies, the emotion (raw)—it's mysterious and beautiful in a way you've always hoped music can be.

Once I found out that he's coming to Fairfield Theater's StageOne on Friday, I needed to talk to him. And in a mind-blowing hour-long phone conversation, we covered topics ranging from inter-dimensional travel to campaigning with Dennis Kucinich in 2004, and from his fan site to his new DVD with Dave Matthews, Live at Radio City Music Hall.

Tim on the new Dave & Tim DVD:
"I watched it at a friend's house last week in full sound, on a huge projection screen. It was actually really overwhelming and I had to leave," he says with a laugh. "But Dave is fucking kickin' on that thing! It really blew me away."

Tim on the guitar:
"I've been doing electric for a while and I did it a few times earlier this year. Mostly I've been playing acoustic, and it complements me really digging writing, and just realizing that you never know enough on any instrument. I just want to learn more."

Tim on the blues:
"Yesterday I started playing the old blues guys again and revisiting some of that. Revisiting and reeducating myself on the way to play one note and make it very subtly different for a long time. Studying a very simple form like blues and then seeing how complex a blues tune by one of the old masters is. If you listen to every little thing they do, it's like, you can't write that shit down. It's so raw and authentic. Like John Hammond, I just think he's the shit. The man can get down. He's just bringin' it. That motherfucker is rockin' like some bands wish they could."

Tim on his fan site, TimReynolds.com:
"It's just a whole different world, I don't even relate to it in a way. Although I really appreciate that people like it."

Tim on inter-dimensional travel:
"I just try to keep it in my head that it's all about the music for me and I should just keep making music. And as I get older, I almost feel like it controls me to be that way. And it almost feels like at some point it happens, and I'm in outer space and I'm flying into this what-music-is dimension that's on earth, but it's also in other dimensions simultaneously that you really can't even put into words, but you can put it into music.

"I think there's inter-dimensional traveling because physics demands it in a way, and I feel that through music that's real. I don't really go for the aliens hanging out and visiting us. I think there's inter-dimensional consciousness visiting us. But the whole Roswell thing is a totally different story."

Tim on meditation:
"When you're breathing quiet and you quiet your mind, once you can really do that for even five seconds, [it's] a totally different dimension that's completely ongoing, everywhere all the time. It's like musical inspiration; it's just waiting for us to tap into. As I get older, that sense of truth, you can't even put certain things into words or reason and I think it just comes out in music, I just give myself to that.

Tim on the '08 presidential election:
He started to laugh. "I'm gonna say 'fuck' a lot. I'm still in a dark, black widow mode from the last election.

"What [Dennis] Kucinich did [in '04] was brave and I still think he's the shit and he should be president. After going all over the country seeing how things are in the country, the whole system—media, government—they're so fixed on image and anti-substance. Something is going to have to unite us that isn't based on fear, because our country is really a giant ego of fear.

"Part of me wants to get wild with [campaigning with Kucinich again], but part of me just feels like the whole government system needs to blow its fascist wad and get over itself. Maybe Bush will be the first one to wake up and say, 'This is bullshit, I ain't workin' for you guys anymore.'"

http://fairfieldweekly.com/article.cfm?aid=2964

You may remember Sean from a lengthy, all-encompassing interview with TR from Harpers Ferry in Boston a few years ago. He has now done quite few interviews with TR for various papers and always seems to ask questions & get answers to questions that I think would fascinate and entertain everyone. I met with Sean again in Fairfield at the gig and there is a possibility again that at some point a full transcript from his hour with TR will be come available. If and when it does you can be sure I will post it here for all to check out. THANX SEAN!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

yeedog
Is Anybody Here?

13 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  1:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great show in Londonderry as my friend and I had a blast. The venue itself is quite nice as its small and intimite. The state of the art sound system that Scott said they jsut put in sounded great as well.

I'm aweful at setlist reviews overall, but I will say that Stream was cool to hear as that was the song that introduced me to Tim's solo material way back when Live@Luther College came out on CD. So it kind of brought me back to when I heard it the first time and thinking, damn this is awesome. Tho I wouldn't have minded hearing chatterbox either. Hopefully next time Tim is around NH.

I did video tape the show, tho upon review the video is a bit on the dark side. I'll probably go back to my orginal settings that I used at the Stone Church next time Tim comes around. Those produced excellent video though perhaps a tad bright.

Here is Steam for you viewing pleasure. The video is in the SVCD format and is 128MB

Here is a link to download the video. The board doesn't seem to like spaces so I don't think you'll be able to just click on the link.... http://70.84.65.154/Tim Reynolds - Stream (2007-09-13).mpg

I was also sent a YouTube link of Betrayal, it's located at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eUu-n18h7E

It was great seeing you again Fluffy, thanks for everything.

-Brian

Go to Top of Page

md91180
Is Anybody Here?

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  4:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit md91180's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wanted to share some great pics from Tupelo that I was lucky enough to get from the 2nd row.

Enjoy them here: http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee80/md91180/

Cheers.

Cheers,
md91180
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  5:21:22 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing the pictures and videos guys!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Chatterbox

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  12:32:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeedog sweat video of Stream! I saw you taping over in the corner; you did a great job! I'd definitely love to get a copy whenever you get finished with it.

BTW, I was at the Stone Church and Wilde Auditorium back in April and spoke briefly to you after the Hartford one...did you ever get around to publishing those shows? Shoot me an email at kwyman(at)gmail.com...I'd love to hear from you :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000