New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2001 :  7:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone ever listened to this kind of music before? Music already is mathematical, but this is taking it to another level... like taking equations and making them audible. You can check some out at:

http://artists.mp3s.com/info/229/fractal_music.html

Some of it is really awful, like one song is basically nothing but static, but it's still interesting to think about the theory behind it. "Mira" and "Rossler" are cool.

There are programs to make this kind of music, such as FractMus 2000, which you can find at www.download.com. I tried it once and had little luck with it, but I thought I'd share anyway.

Peace,
Patrick

http://members.tripod.com/one4tim/index.htm

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2001 :  8:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That was.... interesting.
-J

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2001 :  10:04:03 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
::stunned silence::

when you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Go to Top of Page

crash258
Chatterbox

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2001 :  11:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Send crash258 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah Ive studied it a little, pretty cool stuff.

Fractal music had been around for quite some time now.

Composers have been pushing the envelope, coming up with more and more ideas.

-p

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  02:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I kind of liked Music from Prime Numbers. Henon and Martin sounded like they were opposite tunes, if that makes any sense.

BTW, did you see the movie "Pi?" I found it similarly interesting to think about the theory behind it.

http://www.honolulumarathon.org (I ran under that sign!)
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  1:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That reminds me of this thing Pete Townshend was talking about the song Baba O'Riley. I'm sure most of you have heard that song (American Beauty is one of the movies it's been in). But if you've heard it you've heard the synthesizer stuff that beings it and backs the track....here's what Pete says about that stuff.

"This was a number I wrote when I was doing these experiments with tapes on the synthesizer. Among my plans was to take a person out of the audience and feed information--height, weight, autobiographical details--about the person into the synthesizer. The synthesizer would then select notes from the pattern of that person. It would be like translating a person into music. On this particular track (Baba O'Riley) I programmed details about the life of Meher Baba and that provided the backing for the number.

Cool Stuff.

Adam

There's a lot more to music than notes on a page.

I am Ion, the priest of the inner sanctuary. I submit myself to an unendurable torment. I dismembered myself, and I have become spirit.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  1:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what my music would sound like... I guess if I ever meet Pete Townsend, I'll have to ask him to do that for me.

http://www.honolulumarathon.org (I ran under that sign!)
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  2:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I often wonder that too, just what my music, or the music of my friends and family would sound like.

Adam

I am Ion, the priest of the inner sanctuary. I submit myself to an unendurable torment. I dismembered myself, and I have become spirit.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  2:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Is that just the background music or the whole song? I mean, did someone play something over that, so that it wouldn't and couldn't be completely randomly based on personal statistics or not? Or was it simply what the computer picked?

It is cool, either way. And yeah, I'd love to hear myself.

-Jason-

I am a servant of the power behind the nothing.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  2:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Baba O'Riley has other instruments and stuff, and vocals, and is a pretty kickass song. It starts out "Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals..." The synth starts the song out, and i think plays throughout the whole thing, Id have to grab the CD to know for sure, but I'm pretty sure it synth is there the whole song.

Adam

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000