Jeff Coffin Mu'tet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  4:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry if there's already a thread about this group...I may have missed it.

I got to go to their cd release party a couple of weeks ago, and wow...just amazing stuff. If you get a chance to pick up their newest album, Bloom, then please do. You won't regret it.

Personally, I don't think their studio work comes close to touching their live shows, but it's a great listen all the same. It stayed in my cd player for a couple of weeks after I bought it.

http://www.dmbforums.com

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  10:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya I'm a big fan of Coffin and I haven't seen the Mu'Tet live but I've heard a few shows and I've seen him with the Flecktones and he is a pretty hip player. Really high energy and his antics are always great. I mean it's always amazing to see a guy play two saxes at once but it's amazing that he can play so many instruments so well. He studied with Joe Lovano too so that says a lot. He is also one of the nicest people I have met.

If only the came to Oregon like I told him he should. I should be getting the new CD Bloom in the mail in a couple days though.

Go to Top of Page

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  08:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zachmozach

Ya I'm a big fan of Coffin and I haven't seen the Mu'Tet live but I've heard a few shows and I've seen him with the Flecktones and he is a pretty hip player. Really high energy and his antics are always great. I mean it's always amazing to see a guy play two saxes at once but it's amazing that he can play so many instruments so well. He studied with Joe Lovano too so that says a lot. He is also one of the nicest people I have met.

If only the came to Oregon like I told him he should. I should be getting the new CD Bloom in the mail in a couple days though.

I was lucky when I saw them live...being the cd release party he had a lot of guests with him. I got to see Victor and Futch along with a lot of other amazing brass players that I'd never been exposed to...

You're absolutely right about him being a nice guy. The venue was tiny so they all went out and mingled with the "crowd". They all seemed like amazingly passionate, energetic, positive people.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  10:25:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff was the sax player with the Flectones right? I saw them as well and he was amazing. What else does he play? I am not familiar with all his works.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  9:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pam, he is the Flecktones guy and besides saxes (all of them) he plays clarinet, and flute. It's just odd seeing a guy go rip on a soprano then pick up his tenor and rip on that and then pick up a clarinet for the next song and rip on that, and then go play flute and still be ripping.

The Mu'Tet thing seems really hip and this cat will go far I expect no matter how much credit the jazz world gives him. He already has two good albums out and now Bloom and that's on top of doing a crazy touring schedule with the tones. His solo on Mad Hatter is one of my favorite sax solos ever. Everyone needs to hear it once.

Go to Top of Page

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  10:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
By the way...since the Flecktones are taking the year off, the Mu'tet is taking advantage by touring around a decent bit...I think they're headed to the northeast area next.

Be sure to stop by http://www.jeffcoffin.com/ and check it out...

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  4:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. Zach and Skyline! I went to the site and Jeff will be at the World Cafe April 17th! If I can swing it to go I definitely will! The next day I am going with the 9th grade class at school to NYC. We were supposed to go on the 22 but the UN couldn't accommodate us then, so now instead of having a wild and crazy day with middle school teens and then having a weekend to recuperate I will have to face a full week! LOL

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  9:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let us know how the show was if you're able to go Pam.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000