New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2001 :  8:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I am the HispanicTeenGuitarist, and i'm 15. I picked up a copy of a Tim Reynolds CD about half a year ago, and his skill blew me away. Then I bought Live at Luther College, Dave and Tim, the two best guitar players in the world, inspired me to buy a guitar. I got myself a Yamaha acoustic (hearing that those are good for beginers)
I've been playing for about 4 months, and I havent taken any classes, but I did manage to learn a couple of easy Dave songs, but do you guys have any tips for me on how to improve? Thanks!

zach winters
Is Anybody Here?

12 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2001 :  9:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can, try to learn songs by ear. Try picking out songs written for other instruments. Test your pitch or ear all the time. Expose yourself to different players and styles. Play with people that are better than you. Experience actually playing, or performing, is invaluable. Don't limit yourself in the people you listen to. I have found that the people that I listen to, listened to the classics or classical. Classical music, even if it is difficult sometimes to listen to, will open you up to a lot more as far as formulating how you want your music to sound and is the best place to start a background in music. Ask other players what they think about something but always try to find your own sound. If you want some names of artists, I've got some.

I don't know if that helps at all or if I was just talking, but I hope that helps.

Peace,
Zachary McGee Winters

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2001 :  9:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing specific. Just practice, practice, practice... maybe you've heard that enough, but it simply can't be emphasized enough. And keep in mind that just because you've played for a couple hours, doesn't necessarily mean you've practiced for a couple hours. Always play the things you know so that you don't lose them, but always concentrate on what you don't know - that's where you get better.

Peace,
Patrick

http://members.tripod.com/one4tim/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Dave S
Chatterbox

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2001 :  9:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Dave S an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Most important thing to do at this point, I think, is to do finger excercises, and try to memorize the fretboard. Also make sure that you can easily double pick, and start working your finger picking. Every week or so try picking up a new technique - for instance, Dave's rhythmical strumming, emphasizing certain on and off beats in a musical way, or Tim's acoustic slapping. When you hear interesting thigns on records, try singing it to yourself (this trains the ear) and then finding the notes on the guitar (the ear -> hand connection)

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2001 :  11:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone mentioned practice yet? The bottom line is that the more you play, the better you will get, and more rapidly. I would highly recommend doing some fingering excercises, and getting a metronome. I won't post any now, but if you are interested, drop me a line at jiff1229@hotmail.com and I will work out some excercises for you to do in tab form, and give you specifics as far as tips go on things like flatpicking, fingerpicking, strumming etc... Next thing to do, is Watch the people who's music you would like to play. If you are into DMB for example, watch a video of Dave playing a song that you are working on. Watch how he strums... watch his finger movements, patterns etc. I hope that helps, and if you need anyting more in depth let me know. Take care.
-Jeff

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2001 :  05:42:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tim says "Practice, finger excercises, and experimentation!" Simple and to the point, probably why he has never written a book on the subject. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2001 :  5:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all, those tips are great. Now to practice!

Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2001 :  7:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not amazing at guitar or anything, but I was once in your same situation. So my advice to you is to learn how to play the things you really want to play. Learn how to play the things that made you want to pick up a guitar. Even if that means playing only DMB for a while, as long as you don't lose interest, because it's easy to get sick of guitar if you're not playing what you want(finger exercises make me want to throw my guitar out the window). Other than that, I suggest you learn the basic scales(if you haven't already): major, minor, pentatonic, and get a feel for playing around on a scale. That's my best and only advice, others might disagree. Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

Jason
Chatterbox

194 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2001 :  7:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diversity is the key for me....Be open to all kinds of music and try as much as you can at all times. At first it is frustrating cuz most of the time the stuff you hear isn't as easy to play as you thought it was. Always listen to what is being played and try to picture it in your mind before you try to play it. At least that works for me. Listen to the progression of it and most of all remeber that it's not necessarily what you play but how you play it. Make it unique...good luck, but it sounds like you have enought hints here...you will be ok...

Go to Top of Page

Andy86
Is Anybody Here?

30 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2001 :  01:12:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Learn the notes on the fret board(what fret is A or B and on which string), and the basic panatonic and major, minor scales! And also chords: Bar chords, Power chords, and open chords. And one more thing........................THEORY!!!!!!!! You could probably learn all of that in two, three years. Good luck!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000