Question for you all?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ujohnb01
Chatterbox

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2001 :  7:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Send ujohnb01 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Is it just me or does Dave and the boys not hold the same allure they once did. Don't get me wrong they are a great band but I think they have lost something. I love Tim because it just so musically invigorating to listen. There is no stagnation in the music. I hope Tim comes back to SF soon!
Peace,
BJ

Boom Boom Doom

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2001 :  11:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have always felt that way in listening and comparing Dave and Tims work. Daves does not suck, but it is just not moving to me. Everything Tim touches has an enlightning and spiritual emotion attached to it. It is just my preference or should I say more my cup of tea.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2001 :  11:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with ya Fluffy. I used to be a huge HUGE DMB fan, and now I haven't listened to them in probably close to a year. A lot of the bands I like do something for me on a spiritual level, or just move me in a certain way. Bands/artists like Tim (of course), Live, Metallica, Blues Traveler, David Gray, Five for Fighting actually move me.

I don't think any DMB song has ever realy "moved" me. And the fact that they've sort of switched musical tracks now is what totally turned me off to them, I'm just not into it anymore.

A lot of bands I like don't necessarily move me, but I like them for totally different reasons, a band like Disturbed just puts me in a great mood because those guys rock so damn hard, and it's great to listen to when youre pissed.

What's really ironic is, the two guys that move me most, Tim and David Gray, were both "shown" to me by Dave Matthews. I got into Tim's solo stuff after hearing him with Dave and DMB, and, while I was a David Gray fan BEFORE I learned that ATO was Dave's label, Dave still had a hand in bringing DG to the states, had he not, I probably would not be a fan right now. But its just ironic that Dave used to be my hero, and now my heros are Tim and David Gray.....maybe David Gray and Tim should do a tour.... :)

Adam

And on the 8th day God created the art of war...and laughing, planned the end.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2001 :  12:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know exactly what you mean. TR turned me onto Disturbed and it is awesome. It obviously does not move me in a spiritual way but I really dig it. Not all music has to be spiritual. You can like music cause it moves you emotionally or you might just like it. Sometimes there is no way to explain why you like something. You just do. That is the kewl thing about music. It can be something different for everyone. I also think it is weird that all the people I have been working for have DMB affiliations and I have none. I work for Tim, enuf said and then over the summer I finally get to work for Chris Whitley who has been a friend for like 9 years and when I finally get to work for him he is signed to DM's label ATO. How weird is that. I also worked for Radiohead over the summer doing merch and Radioheads merch guy usually works for DMB and shares and office with Chris Tetzeli who works for Red Light, Dave's management company. Tetz was at almost all of those Whitley shows and we got to spend alot of time together on that tour. He is also involved in ATO with Mike McDonald, Dave's tour manager, who I got to meet in Boulder. Whatta bunch of nice guys. I feel like everything I get involved with has some DMB affiliation. How weird that I was never even a fan. Bizarre how the world works.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Baboonboy
Chatterbox

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2001 :  02:17:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Baboonboy's Homepage  Send Baboonboy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ya know what moves me? System of a Down's Chop Suey. Holy shiet. I love the drum parts..

ICQ - 578587
AIM - bluwaterbaboon
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2001 :  04:37:26 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's cool that you guys are into Disturbed too. I don't know how many times ive listened to that album. It's a great one to just put on repeat. Especially if you're in a bad mood :) All my female friends don't like it, too much talk about killing, dying and violence in general I think, hehe.
I wonder when they'll be putting out another album.
It seems like all these bands are announcing new albums....that don't come out until like 2003, or haven't even been started yet.

That's odd about the DMB affiliations. Face it, no matter how hard you try, you just can't excape the world of DMB!!

Adam

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2001 :  04:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of DMB, I'm hoping that Tim's appearance on their next live album helps maybe get me back into DMB a bit...though I don't really think it will. I'll probably find myself searching for tims solos and stuff, like I do with Live at luther and Red Rocks now :)

ANyone know when that album comes out?

Adam

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2001 :  09:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Live In Chicago, available for pre-order now, in stores 10.23.01.

-Jason-

Philosophy is a study that lets up be unhappy more intelligently.
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2001 :  12:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya know I have the video of that concert, and the Victor Wooten and Tim solo's are great, but besides that I really don't think it was that good of a concert. I think Dave's vocals are lacking in some places and they didn't do any songs that we haven't all heard 10,000 times before (Besides the maker). I guess maybe they'll remix the sound and make Dave sound better, but still I'd rather have a more recent concert with some Lillywhite stuff or maybe even some redone jam versions of Everyday songs.

Isaac

"And when King Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"
Go to Top of Page

jenkins
Try A Little Harder

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2001 :  12:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i seem to remember something about 7.11.01 being released on DVD...

obviously, DVD isnt an audio release, and an audio release hasnt been announced or anything, but it just seems to me that if a dvd was released, we'd get an official release of the audio as well -- marketing principles say sell it while its hot, you know?

and to throw my two cents in on the conversation, dmb is one of the bands that I have always gotten some kind of emotional movement from -- and honestly, i still do, even from the new direction that the band has taken on. obviously, the album is still sub-par compared to past works the DMB has released, but emotionally and musically, it's where i am right now; I love this band and it's music -- it's taken me places, emotionally, that very few bands can.

not only that, but i've also been able to use dmb's music as a springboard to introduce myself to some really great other music, and meet some really swell people too.

just my thoughts -- that and fifty cents will get you a phonecall.

-jenks

quote:

Ya know I have the video of that concert, and the Victor Wooten and Tim solo's are great, but besides that I really don't think it was that good of a concert. I think Dave's vocals are lacking in some places and they didn't do any songs that we haven't all heard 10,000 times before (Besides the maker). I guess maybe they'll remix the sound and make Dave sound better, but still I'd rather have a more recent concert with some Lillywhite stuff or maybe even some redone jam versions of Everyday songs.

Isaac

"And when King Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2001 :  5:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the Maker is a great song. It's a Daniel Lanois cover. And I really like DMB's version of it. It was cool because I was at the show before the one being released, 12-18-98 in Ames, Iowa, and they played the Maker there, for the first time live since like 1993 or 1994. I couldn't believe my ears.....while others couldn't recognize it, and saw an opportunity for a bathroom break....poor souls.

Can't wait to hear Timmy on the album!! And all those other guys hehe.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2001 :  05:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Baboonboy, Tim's stepson, Jostin, turned us onto the new System of a Down while he was in LA with us. I really dug it. It kind of reminded me of RATM(another big fave) in a small way. He really liked track 6 forward, I was actually more into tracks 1-5, but I thought it was all really good.
I did not know that DMB covered Daniel Lanois. I know Tim is a big fan, maybe he had some influence on that or maybe that is how he discovered him. Ironically, Lanois produced Chris Whitleys 1st CD. Then it was Whitleys 2nd CD Din of Ecstasy that helped to inspire Tim to explore his electic side more. That and the Butthole Surfers recording in an adjoining studio in Woodstock while Tim was there recording with DMB. He said he used to hear them practicing and recording when he was leaving DMB sessions and he was like, "I wanna do that, I wanna rock!" I just love founding out these bizarre influences on people that you just wouldn't expect.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2001 :  06:20:14 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, DMB covers the Maker and For The Beauty of Wynona by Daniel Lanois. Oddly enough, the Maker is probably my favorite DMB song....and its a cover hehe. I wonder if Tim did have anything to do with Dave learning of/playing Daniel Lanois. I know DMB has played the maker as early as 1993, and then not until the concert I was at in 1998. But I do think he played it with Tim between 93 and 98.

It was odd, because a day or two after the DMB concert I heard the maker at, I saw the movie Sling Blade, which has The Maker in it. I managed to find the Sling Blade soundtrack at a CD Warehouse for 5.99 and scooped it up. Pretty cool stuff on there. Maker is the last track, and the best in my opinion....and also in my opinion Daniel Lanois' version surpasses DMB's no doubt! It should though, I mean he DID write it :)

Once again, Dave Matthews turns me on to a new artist...that I now like more than Dave...hehe.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2001 :  5:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That is a very interesting tidbit about the Whitley cd inspiring Tim. Din is actually my favorite cd of his, just because it rocks so hard and is also experimental. It's a shame that the critics and music industry considers Din to be his worst album. I hate to say it... but it is almost the same disrespect that Tim's electric work sometimes gets. I don't understand it.

GuitarGuy: I totally hear you about DMB opening me up to band that I end up liking more than them. I attribute my love for Fusion Jazz to DMB. They turned me on to Bela, Victor, Medeski, Soko... etc. These are now some of my favorite bands.

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2001 :  5:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
GuitarGuy: What do you think of Live's new cd. I'm not too sure about it. Mental Jewlrey and Throwing copper are both excellent IMO. Secret Samadi stunk up my house, then the distance to here returned to being pretty darn good. I really dig their spirituality but I think this album is lacking in the raw energy that Mental Jewlrey had.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2001 :  06:59:41 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In my opinion, Live's best album was Mental Jewelry. The songs on there are just all so good. I like a lot of the songs off of Throwing Copper and Secret Samadi, but more obscure songs (IE my favorite song on Throwing Copper is probably Dam at Otter Creek or Waitress or the hidden track Horse, while my favorite songs on SS are Gas Hed and the song (can't remember the name) with the lyric: Angel don't you have some bagels in my oven...)
But, I hadn't been able to listen to a Live CD all the way through without skipping since Mental Jewelry UNTIL the Distance to Here. That is a damn great album. From Dolphins Cry to Dance with You, great great album. On the Dolphin's Cry single, theres a version of Sun that is more middle eastern sounding and really cool.

I have to admit, I have yet to get V. I get paid Friday (I guess that'd today hehe) so I'll probably run out and get it this weekend, then I'll have to let you know what I think of it. I've heard Simple Creed and Overcome of course, and I really like both of those songs. I'll have to let you know what I think of the rest.

I saw Live, live in Cedar Rapids when they were on the tour supporting The Distance.... that was a great show. They even did a version of Imagine by John Lennon, that really surprised me and the people we were with. Great, great live show. I guess that's where they get their name....and boy do they live up to it!!

Live is one of those bands too, that tweaks their sound a bit on each new album, but it always sounds good, while keeping it fresh. So I can't wait to hear what they've done on V.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Micheal
Try A Little Harder

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2001 :  5:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Micheal's Homepage  Send Micheal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's not surprising that a band as successful as DMB will grow stale to some of it's listeners. I don't think it's the band going stale, it's the listeners just getting bored or expecting the band to sound the same. I love sushi and psyilocybin mushrooms but their subtle nuances can get old and stale and predictable too. I never got moved by DMB except, SEEK UP, on live redrocks. I wasted good money on that album because I Love TIM. I Don't even like luther college. But Everyday is a pop master piece IMO. I'm glad they don't sound the same. I hear traces of Peter Gabrieal, Pete Townsend, Sting, Neil Peart (lyrics) and a whole lotta Dave. Tim told me it's the only DMB he can listen to because he's not on it.

Disturbed is really moving to me too. I hated that singer at first, but now he's my daddy!. The Sickness to me is spiritual, those lyrics really have made me question what the fuck I'm doing with my life. I wish more pop artist would get in our face in that american poet knid of way.

This topic reminds me of the Matrix, everthing reminds me of the Matrix, you know. The bald spoon bender chic who tells Neo to "see the truth", "there is no spoon" , "it is you who bends". PEACE

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2001 :  12:30:39 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Disturbed energizes me to no end. The singer is the f-ing man. "Ow-ah-ah-ah-ah!" It's great music to listen to when you're up at 530am getting ready for work and you just want to hit the snooze and go back to bed, it gives you that kick in the ass. And, uh, it's also great music if you're pissed..hehe. I probably couldnt pick a favorite song on that album, because each one of them rocks my ass off. I just wish theyd release a new album sometime soon.

And theyre cover of "Shout" (Shout 2000) rocks too.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2001 :  12:43:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CHOP SUEY IS AN AWESOME SONG!

MY friend who is a huge Quentin Terrentino fan, made a music video using movie clips of Reservoir Dogs, with the music of Chop Suey, and it is awesome!

And I can understand the comment that DMB has lost something. That's why I take a trip back in time to such classics like, "Heathcliff's Haiku Warriors" "Chameleon Breakdown" "Doobie Thing" "Toy Soliders" "Get in Line" and "Mother's Night". To me those are the most emotional song Dave has going for himself.

Also just picked up the first time Crash was played live. It was a D&T show from 95, it is different. Tim has this awesome part of just plucking a muted string over and over, moving it around.

BUT I SAY, for all the DMB fans who have felt the lack of something, return to the old! Typical Situations has a great MP3 section!

-Arthen

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2001 :  11:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, those older DMB songs are great. Get In Line was/is one of my favorite DMB songs. Toy Soldiers was great too. You've got to wonder why some songs were stopped being played. I mean, I know they've used a few (Don't Burn The Pig, Deed Is Done, Little Thing) to make into new songs, or used parts of them in new songs, but I have yet to hear Get In Line on a studio album in ANY way, shape, or form. I thought I heard that Get In Line, along with True Reflections and a few others were recorded for, but not included on, Crash.

Why can't THOSE be leaked online!!!!

Adam

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2001 :  12:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Arthen, do you have the entire show with Mother's Night on there? I think that that is only on about two shows. So that's a really really rare one. Let me know if you do have the show. Please.

-Jason-

Philosophy is a study that lets up be unhappy more intelligently.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2001 :  01:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yea, Din is one of my fave Whitley albums as well. I think critics and fans expect bands to sound the same or at least what they are used to and when they divert from that people tend to be less interested. Just like in the case of Tim's electric stuff. I love to hear bands stretch out and experiment and surprise me. I think that shows balls and massive creativity. In the case of Live, I was a huge fan in the beginning(first 2 records) and then they just got boring to me(personally). I don't think they suck but unlike the other person who commented on this topic, I think they are stagnating. I don't think they are as creative as they once were. Of course that is a personal opinion based on personal taste. I think we all have to remember that what moves one man may not move another and viceversa. I prefer it when bands take chances. That is just a personal preference and I realize that it puts me in a minority, but I am happy in that minority. It all really boils down to personal taste, especially with music, a truly personal experience.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000