Animated Short
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  11:00:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I met a guy the other day who created a short animated film as his Master's thesis. It went to quite a few film festivals. It's kind of interesting... let me know what you think.

http://web.media.mit.edu/~badger/movies/ShaftOfLight.mov

My advice is to right click and download to your hard drive. It's a big file.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  11:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is the kewelest video I have ever seen....loved the animation and the whispering voices...."The way is blocked....I know" so kewel!!!!!!!!!!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  11:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm generally a patient person but....

Estimated time remainging: 3 hrs 50 min

Sorry, but I'll have to just hear about this film... but you all make it sound interesting.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2002 :  9:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I loved the whispering too PJK. (BTW, the guy I met was the one who did the whispering. Too bad he has a girlfriend...)

Jason, the main theme of the movie is waiting. So just be patient! Start the download before bed and just let it go. Or is there somewhere with a a T1 connection where you can download the video? Maybe at school or work? I couldn't make it work at home, so I watched it at work. (After hours, so your tax dollars weren't wasted.)

teri :)

p.s. I ran 4 miles today. I'll be adding one per week until I get to 26!

teri
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2002 :  03:42:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think he said something about how the internet disconnects if it's idle for 15 mintues.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2002 :  08:25:46 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. So home isn't an option, and work puters don't have speakers. Damn the luck. Oh and downloading, while many might not consider it an inactive connection, my computer does. So it's a no go. If it wasn't, then I could get all the TIM shows myself, even tho it'd take a couple of months. I could still do it.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2002 :  2:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jason, go to download.com and do a search for "idle connection." There are utilities that keep your connection active when you aren't at your computer... I always thought you just didn't want to tie up your phone line downloading stuff. If I had known that an idle connection was your problem I'd have said something a long time ago. Oh, and the short film is GREAT! Thanks for sharing Teri!

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2002 :  3:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
download.com.........is there anything they don't have?

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2002 :  3:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pizza?

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2002 :  3:42:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK......fine......call my bluff.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  03:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK......fine......call me Fluff.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  08:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Heheh... you got me on that one Fluffy...

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  11:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So Jason, did you download the utility so you could watch the video? And Fluffy, what about you? Did you see it?

All the little ants around my house actually reminded me of the video a little, since they march in lines like the carriers and they communicate with each other. I think the ants are smarter though.

teri
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  12:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Didn't download the utility. How important is the sound? I might just get it and watch (watch only) it here (not hear). I'm thinking it would just take tooooo oooooo long at home. We'll see.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2002 :  1:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by enthuTIMsiast

Didn't download the utility. How important is the sound? I might just get it and watch (watch only) it here (not hear). I'm thinking it would just take tooooo oooooo long at home. We'll see.

Sound is important. (I think PJK would agree.) What if you downloaded the file at work, burned it to a CD and then took it home to watch with sound? Would that work?

teri
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2002 :  2:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Might just try that. On lunch I bought some cds, and accidentally got CD-RWs instead of Rs. I wondered why 25 cost $20... now I know. I had to get 4x for the burner..hope it's going to work.

But I might just download and burn the film. We'll see how these discs work. They sure are pretty with their grey shiny back...mmmm...grey shiny back....

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  11:48:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Teri, I have not, as you know, I am not to well versed in such matter and fear the prospect. Maybe you can show it to me in Dec.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  10:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If I can get it to run on my Mac before I come to TX, I'll have it ready to show you. If not, maybe I'll try to burn it to a CD. That will be a first for me. Will you be brining your laptop?

teri
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  4:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I finally decided to burn this and watch it at home...and holy crap, I'm getting 322KB/Sec! Wow, that's the fastest I've had yet. Probably cause the stinking students are gone, huh?

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  5:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So did you watch it???? Isn't it great....I just loved it!!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  6:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Damnit, everyday about 2:00 I remember to take the discs home. Everyday at 5:00 I forget to pick them up. Tomorrow will be the day that I remember. So I'll see it tomorrow night.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  8:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHAHAHAHA I can relate to that!

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  8:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I should just send an email to myself to remember... guess that'd be pointless... but maybe, just maybe...

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  8:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that is a good idea...never thought of doing that. But I have been known to make lists and then not read them!

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  01:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I found this disc lying on my desk... I was going thru all of the stuff I'd burned and found it. I copied it to my hard drive, and Quick Time wouldn't play it! All that trouble, and no beans. I tried every player I have (and some of them will play almost anything) and nothing will work. So I'm giving up on watching this "Animated Short."

I am, however, going to keep the file on my computer for a short time, and if someone can tell me what I might use to watch it, then I will.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  12:09:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn that really sucks. This is such a kewl short video....I just watched it again....I love it!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  01:05:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Teri, any help for enthuTIMsiast? Suggestions, recommendations, etc etc!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  2:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have run it using QT on both Mac and Windows. I do know that the first time I downloaded, it didn't play because it hadn't fully completed the download, which should have been 94.6 MB (99,280,221 bytes). How big is the file on your CD? Do you have the latest version of QT?

teri
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  08:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Teri, the latest version of QT I did not have, and once that was rectified, the movie played like a charm. Nice little movie.

Why Have You Stopped?

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  1:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The Way is Blocked

teri
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  11:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What is Blocking the Way?
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  03:47:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It reminded me of a surreal TOOL video. If you can imagine something even more surreal than an actual TOOL video. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  2:22:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by enthuTIMsiast

What is Blocking the Way?

I do not know.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  9:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We Shall Be Late.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000