Red Dragon =
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2002 :  01:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Good movie.

Check it out if u got a night off.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2002 :  04:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!!!! Rent "Manhunter" on DVD or Video instead. A far superior version of the book. They are almost the exact same movie so it is really hard for me to verbalize why "Red Dragon" sucks so much and "Manhunter" is so far superior. First, "Manhunter" just looks better. Visually, a brilliant film. Way more of a serial killer mystery than "Red Dragon". RD is just a cash in on the Hannibal mystique. They basically remade a great film from 1986(Manhunter)into a piece of drivel to capitalize on Hannibal Lektors fame and popularity. Totally unenjoyable for anyone who has seen or enjoyed "Manhunter". I saw it with 4 people tonite who had never seen "Manhunter" and they all thought it sucked as well. So I know it's not just me. You can be assured, first thing tomorrow, we will be renting "Manhunter" so I can show them what a far superior movie it truly is. By the way, I saw it with Rew, Jon Soldo, Lisa and James.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2002 :  09:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
was Edward Norton at least in top form? hes a damn god actor, even if the movies suck

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
ChaosView, the new Tim Reynolds tour archive
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2002 :  1:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Edward Norton did a fine job as you would expect. I just didn't like the angle he approached the character from as much as I liked William L Petersons approach to the SAME character in "Manhunter". WLP for those who don't know, is the guy from CSI and To Live & Die in LA and host of other movies. I found a great review that sums up my views of the "Red Dragon" quite well. I will post it if I can find it again.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2002 :  2:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This isn't the one I was talking about, but it is a great review of "Manhunter":

It's sort of the lost Hannibal Lecter movie. But, like The Silence of the Lambs, 1986's Manhunter isn't really about the notorious cannibal and serial killer -- it's about how his conscienceless psychopathy affects those around him, and how those who dare to take advantage of his genius find that the help he can provide in capturing others like him may not be worth the risk.

Will Graham (William L. Petersen: The Contender), though a young man, has retired from the FBI, and there seems to be nothing his old boss, Agent Jack Crawford (Dennis Farina: Snatch, Reindeer Games), can do to convince him to come in on the tough new serial murder case with which the Bureau desperately needs his expertise. Will has been burned -- badly -- by some profiling experience in the past, something that put his wife and preteen son in danger as well. Yet getting inside the heads of serial killers is what Will is good at, and he finds himself reluctantly drawn back to it.

It's hard to believe that William Petersen didn't become a bigger star than the character actor he is today -- his almost Russell Crowe-like intensity is what keeps Manhunter so absorbing through its slow buildup, as Will joins the investigation and attempts to duplicate in his own head the psyche of a killer who slays entire families and rearranges the bodies to give himself an audience. The killer works on a lunar cycle, committing his crimes on the night of the full moon, which gives Will a little over three weeks to find him before he strikes again. This is a quiet, unshowy race-against-time flick, in which the ticking of the clock is measured more in Will's intensifying attempts to retain his own sanity as he gets to know the mindset of his prey better and better.

Based on Thomas Harris's novel Red Dragon, the film's title change is appropriate -- a Chinese pictogram meaning "Red Dragon" comes to represent the killer, but the focus here is entirely on the man hunting him. And the most electrifying moments come as Will has to face the man who drove him into retirement: Dr. Hannibal Lektor (Brian Cox: Nuremberg, Longitude) -- inexplicably misspelled here -- is in maximum-security custody, put there by Will, and the experience has left Will scarred, emotionally and physically. Cox, with much less screen time than Anthony Hopkins had in Lambs, is just as riveting, oozing malevolence as he and Will taunt each other, both with the same goal that neither dare articulate -- securing Lektor's assistance in finding the Red Dragon. And will we ever learn exactly what Lektor did to Will to wound him so? The suspense is delightfully excruciating.

Director Michael Mann was known chiefly as the creator of Miami Vice when Manhunter was released, and the visual influence of the TV show is unmistakable -- the film's bright colors and clean lines balance surprisingly well with the dark, cerebral horror of its subject matter. But hints of Mann's recent, brilliant The Insider abound, too -- long, steady shots that add a terrifying stillness. Manhunter whispers rather than shouts, and is all the more effective for it.

If you find yourself disappointed in Hannibal, check out Manhunter for another dose of everything that made The Silence of the Lambs so enthralling.

--MaryAnn Johanson

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2002 :  2:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
:( well i thought it was good. and it takes alot for me to like a movie.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2002 :  4:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just got back from seeing it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've got to say, I'm not really sure what there is to dislike about it... especially if you enjoyed the other two movies. Maybe had I seen Manhunter previously, I might not have thought as much of it, but I don't think I would have actually disliked it no matter how good Manhunter may be. Weird how separate people can see the same thing so differently... those that I saw it with hadn't seen Manhunter either, and they all loved it as well. I'll definitely have to check Manhunter out, but I would certainly still recommend this to anyone that enjoyed the first two films.

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2002 :  5:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just wondering what you guys all thought of Hanibal? I didnt like it at all. Silence was great because it was so full of suspense... Hanibal was just gross to me. I didnt enjoy seeing a man's inners slit and end up on the floor.

For the record, I loved Silence, and have yet to see either Manhunter or Red Dragon, but I've heard from tons of people that Manhunter is indeed the better movie.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2002 :  6:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
FOUND IT:

Red Dragon (2002)
movie review by James Rocchi, Netflix
Rating: ROTTEN (2/5)

"Revamped remake of the prelude to The Silence of the Lambs is a demonstration of why bigger isn't necessarily better."

More of the seven deadly sins were committed making Red Dragon, director Brett Ratner's prequel to The Silence of the Lambs, than we actually see acted out on-screen in the film. Producer Dino De Laurentiis, envying the artistic and monetary success of Silence (a project he passed on, even though producing Michael Mann's 1986 film Manhunter gave him first-look rights), decided to revisit Thomas Harris's novel Red Dragon, the basis for Manhunter.

Ratner, lusting after respectability in the wake of his Rush Hour successes, demonstrates sloth by hiring Silence's screenwriter and production designer and Manhunter's cinematographer to assemble a new film out of borrowed pieces. Anthony Hopkins, gluttonous for another pay day and proud of his past performances, is back as Hannibal Lecter. All that's left is wrath, which will be provided by fans of Mann's Manhunter and of Harris's original book, both ill-served by this new film.

Red Dragon shows how gifted, visionary and troubled FBI man Will Graham (Ed Norton) captured Hannibal Lecter (Hopkins, with a comb-over and dye job to remind us that these events take place pre-Silence) and then left the bureau -- but comes back to try and catch a killer known as the "Tooth Fairy," whose perverse appetite for murder is matched only by his careful planning. In Manhunter, Lecter (strikingly underplayed by Brian Cox) was a brief curiosity, with Graham seeing him only to get a refresher course in madness.

In Red Dragon, screenwriter Ted Tally changes the Graham-Lecter relationship, stating that Lecter and Graham worked together to catch an earlier serial killer before Graham captured Lecter. Graham is therefore transformed from an independent, intuitive investigator to another disciple of Hannibal's genius, emulating the Foster-Hopkins duet in Silence of the Lambs. Manhunter is a brilliant police procedural about serial murder investigation; The Silence of the Lambs is a chilling horror film with a thriller's construction and a rich subtext about gender and power; Red Dragon tries to mix both -- a whodunit with spine-tingling moments -- and misses the point.

There are other problems; Danny Elfman's music is rife with horror-film clichés and so obtrusive he might as well be jabbing you in the shoulder with a conductor's baton in the "scary" rushes of volume. The script is mechanically more faithful to the climax of the novel than Manhunter was, but cutely pirouettes back from the abyss and completely misses the book's spirit. Red Dragon is a startlingly subtle meditation about using reason to unlock madness and about how the world is darker than we think; this film version is so pumped up and gothic it feels unreal, like a Batman comic written by Poe and Dickens.

Supporting players Ralph Fiennes, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Emily Watson shine -- indeed, they acquit themselves far better than the rote Norton and the campy, smug Hopkins. Director Ratner fails to rein in Hopkins, and his technical efforts end with switching to a hand-held camera -- as if the best possible model for cinema were "NYPD Blue." In a perfect world, the shallow gloss of Red Dragon will reflect the true quality of Mann's film and Harris's novel; the film itself evokes astonishment at how something so obviously expensive can look and feel so cheap.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2002 :  6:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Excerpt from another review, one of the few reviews I have read that EVEN mention Manhunter:

And to put it bluntly, nothing in "Red Dragon" justifies the movie's existence, considering that a superb adaptation of Harris' hugely popular novel already exists. Michael Mann's 1986 "Manhunter" has a goofy title and an even goofier neo-new-wave synthesizer score. But for sheer, true creepiness, it hasn't dated at all. In that movie, Brian Cox plays the true Hannibal Lecter. He's a character, not a cartoon psychopath -- when he's allowed one phone call from his prison cell to call his lawyer, he instead manages to make another, illicit call by conning the operator in a dulcet croon: "I don't have the use of my arms. Would you be so kind as to dial the number for me?" His manipulativeness is almost soothing, proper, like a cordial note on nice stationery, even though his quick-minded deviousness is immediately obvious and unsettling. This is the kind of thing a psychopathic genius would come up with -- a bit of role-playing that puts in the service of pure evil the pity and sympathy that average people are all too willing to dole out.

Ratner doesn't re-create that moment in "Red Dragon," and you wonder why -- I know Hopkins couldn't have carried it off nearly as well as Cox did, but it would have at least been interesting to see him try.

Ratner also doesn't seem to realize that nothing Ralph Fiennes does here comes even close to the sheer terror -- not to mention the weird poignancy -- of Tom Noonan, who plays the same character in "Manhunter." At one point, Noonan appears with a ladies' stocking pulled halfway down his face, its leg sprouting from his head like a stretched-out nipple and extending into a long tail that he has tucked in neatly in the back.

The stocking is never explained, and yes, the sight of it is a little funny. But you can't laugh. There is such meticulousness in the way Noonan wears that stocking; it signifies something about that character that we can never really know -- and suggests that, cool as it may seem to "identify" with a serial killer, this one has definitely gone to places we just can't go.

Noonan is disturbing not because we identify with him, or because we've been programmed to feel some textbook pity as the result of learning some horrible secret about his background. He's disturbing because we're wrenched into feeling something for him even though we know so little about him. Somehow Noonan, Cox and Mann showed us the face of psychosis, not just its mask. Fiennes, Hopkins and Ratner, on the other hand, are hung up on its multiple disguises. In their world, deranged evil comes out of the dress-up box. They leave Pandora's box untouched, never even realizing it's theirs for the opening.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Captain Petersburgh
Yak Addict

Canada
779 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2002 :  7:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Captain Petersburgh an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!!!! Rent...
Angles of the Fire. better move than all of yours. its a movie about a street gang called the Angles of the Fire. great flick with alot of action and suspence...check it out.

A nice word and a gun will get you alot farther than just a nice word
Go to Top of Page

SourGirl
Try A Little Harder

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2002 :  8:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Send SourGirl an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I love Anthony Hopkins anyway. I've seen Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal but I haven't had a chance to see Red Dragon. From the previews on t.v tho' it looks really interesting. I can't wait to go see it.

"Loneliness...is and always has been the center and inevitable experience of every man." -Thomas Wolfe
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2002 :  10:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Though I've never seen "Manhunter," I really enjoyed "Red Dragon." It's easily one one of the best movies i've seen this year, and second best in the Hannibal Lector series ("Silence of the Lambs" takes 1rst place with sheer creapiness...and "Hannibal" is just pure trash by comparasion to the two) Though Edward Nortan did a very good job playing as the retired FBI agent, I think he was too young for the role. But the best part of the movie had to be the last few seconds, right before the credits cut in....

"Oh come on boy think-what would Jesus do? He'd shake his head like an angry mother Smoke the boy and said I did what I could do." DMB-Raven
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  9:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I believe you St. Jude. I'll probably see it and then rent Manhunter anyway.

teri

Should I run another marathon for charity?
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  3:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have seen Manhunter, but not Red Dragon. I will probably see Red Dragon when it comes out on DVD, but I agree that Manhunter was a good movie.

I have not read Red Dragon, but someone told me that Hannibal Lecter is not even IN the book Red Dragon, and they just put him in the movie for the all mightly dollar??

BTW, I liked Hannibal. It had some humor in it, and was an interesting final chapter (chronologically) to the Hannibal Lecter saga. The book was better than the movie, but the ending of the book is just fucked up.

Hannibal has Julianne Moore in it too...which makes it worth watching for me by itself

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  3:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I watched Manhunter last night, and I REALLY LIKED it! It had everything that Silence of the lambs had... basially good psychologically thrilling scences, and not gore. Great example of how you dont always need gore and language (manhunter had fuck once in the whole movie, and it was stratigically placed). It also showed you dont need big star power. I've got a lot I wanted to say about Manhunter, but it'll have to wait until after work, so more later tonight.

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  9:12:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have not read Red Dragon, but someone told me that Hannibal Lecter is not even IN the book Red Dragon, and they just put him in the movie for the all mightly dollar??

Huh? Hannibal plays a pretty important role in the book...

"Oh come on boy think-what would Jesus do? He'd shake his head like an angry mother Smoke the boy and said I did what I could do." DMB-Raven
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  03:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hannibal has Julianne Moore in it too...which makes it worth watching for me by itself

[Quagmire]hehe........alright![/Quagmire]

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  04:23:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK, I may have been unduly harsh on Red Dragon. I still think it sucks, but I have had to concede that it is somewhat entertaining for folks who have never seen, or worse yet, never even heard of Manhunter. For fans of Silence of the Lambs who have never had the benefit of a movie starring their favorite character of any value, this movie probably fills a void. I think that it is sad that they felt they had to remake an already great movie for what I basically see as a Hannibal Lector, cash cow, vehicle. Manhunter is just a more intelligent character study and Red Dragon is a "lets-see-Anthony-Hopkins-act-spooky" movie. If you are going to see Hannibal Lecktor act spooky, you will not be let down and you will probably enjoy the movie. For my money, Manhunter is a much BETTER film. It is also much deeper on an emotional and intellectual level than Red Dragon. I have put together a personal hypothesis on the origin of this remake. Manhunter was made in 1986. Long before anyone knew the character of Hannibal the Cannibal. Manhunter was made by Dino De Laurentiis and as the producer of Manhunter had first right of refusal for the film Silence of the Lambs which he passed on. Silence of the Lambs was made by someone else and became the blockbuster it is today and Hannibal Lector became the cultural icon of evil. DDL kicked himself for not have the forsight to make Silence of the Lambs and proceeded to cash on the the now popular character of Hannibal Lector. So he made Hannibal(speaking of bad movies, although I enjoyed it more than Red Dragon). He realized he had not struck gold and set about to remake his first movie of the trilogy again, only this TIMe capitalizing on the now cultural icon of Hannibal. So now we have a movie that originally was barely about Hannibal Lector that has been remade into a movie that is basically a vehicle for that character. Hopefully you can see how this might annoy me so much. I was a big fan of the character Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs but now I think Anthony Hopkins isn't as true to the character as he once was. In Silence of the Lambs you sense the evil. He plays him so well but he doesn't OVERACT the part. In Red Dragon he really OVERACTS the character. Hannibal is supposed to be this amazingly smart, suave killer. And in Red Dragon, Anthony Hopkins turns him into a cartoon character of Hannibal. He is way over the top. The mystery and mystique of the character is gone. No high society doctor who is so sly as Hannibal Lector would ever act the way he does in Red Dragon. The character in Red Dragon is not the Hannibal we came to know and fear in Silence of the Lambs. AH needs to get back to taking the subtle approach with this character. I think it was way more scary that way. As a side note, even before Red Dragon came out, I always thought the Hannibal Lector in Manhunter was better than Anthony Hopkins Hannibal in Silence of the Lambs. I wish they had made Red Dragon with THAT actor as Hannibal Lector and not turned Manhunter into the gothic horror story that was Red Dragon. Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  04:26:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, and by the way, Julianne Moore is one of the reasons I enjoyed Hannibal. Also the opening shot of the birds as a skull right at the end of the credits is pretty amazing. I have watched that over and over and marveled at how well they did that. GREAT SHOT!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  04:34:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fluffy...how's about a FlamingJoeMoe?

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  12:12:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I didnt like hanibal because of the reason that she got kicked off of the fbi. if i remember it ws becasue she shot at a woman holding a baby, but yet the woman was shotting back at her... and the kid was alright, and she was the one who told her units not to shoot but that guy did.... or sumthin like that... and that anoyed me.

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  06:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That prick FBI guy wanted to bring her down, so he used the excuse of her giving "bad orders in the line of fire" (or something like that) When she called the assualt off, two of the members went ahead and starting shooting. Half of her team got killed, so they used that as the reason to kick her.

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  10:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yeah, that pissed me off because she called it off, but still got bitched at for not calling it off. Bad plot line.

Plus there were far to many corporate tie ins for my liking. Especially on all of the phones.... and the phone bill.

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  4:41:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True. Not even the book can save the movie version of "Hannibal." But, in the novel, Clerice and Hannibal both eat the guys brain, and then they fool around.

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  02:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
One other aspect of Manhunter that beat out Red Dragon was the use of Music, especially the psychodelic music leading up to the climax of the movie. What song was that anyways? kinda sounded like a Doors tune? Anyone know?

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

revrendmaynard14
Chatterbox

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  03:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Send revrendmaynard14 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am going to see it Sunday, I hope it's good.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  05:20:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Kevin asked:
quote:
One other aspect of Manhunter that beat out Red Dragon was the use of Music, especially the psychodelic music leading up to the climax of the movie. What song was that anyways? kinda sounded like a Doors tune? Anyone know?

In The Garden of Eden as Bart called it at church one sunday(that should make pcbdmb happy, The Simpsons was finally mentioned in this thread as per the message board rules on the matter)otherwise known as, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by I. Ron Butterfly or Iron Butterfly. It is a wonderful bit of psychedelia clocking in at a whopping 17 min and 5 seconds with a almost 3 minute drum solo in the middle, that you hear alot of in Manhunter.

Here is more on Iron Butterfly:

The heavy, psychedelic acid rock of Iron Butterfly may seem dated to some today, but the group was one of the first hard-rock bands to receive extensive radio airplay, and their best-known song, the 17-minute epic "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," established that more extended compositions were viable entries in the radio marketplace, paving the way for progressive AOR. The track was written by vocalist, organist, and bandleader Doug Ingle, who formed the first incarnation of Iron Butterfly in 1966 in San Diego with drummer Ron Bushy. After the group moved to Los Angeles and played the club scene, it secured a recording contract and got national exposure through tours with the Doors and Jefferson Airplane. Following the release of their 1968 debut album, Heavy, original members Jerry Penrod (bass), Darryl DeLoach (vocals), and Danny Weis (guitar) left the band and were replaced by guitarist Erik Brann and bassist Lee Dorman. Weis went on to join Rhinoceros. The new lineup recorded In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida later that year, which sold four million copies and spent over a year in the Top Ten. (The title has been translated as "in the garden of Eden" or "in the garden of life.") A shortened version of the title track, which contained extended instrumental passages with loud guitars and classical/Eastern-influenced organ, plus a two-and-a-half-minute drum solo, reached number 30 on the singles charts. The follow-up, Ball, showed greater musical variety and went gold, but it also marked the beginning of the band's decline. Erik Braunn left the group and was replaced by guitarists Mike Pinera and Larry "Rhino" Reinhardt, but the group's success was largely over. Iron Butterfly broke up in 1971; Braunn and Bushy re-formed the group in the mid-'70s without success. ~ Steve Huey, All Music Guide

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  06:17:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

In The Garden of Eden as Bart called it at church one sunday(that should make pcbdmb happy, The Simpsons was finally mentioned in this thread as per the message board rules on the matter)

"Hey Marge, remember when we used to make out to this hymn?"

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and/or roll."

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  07:25:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I knew you'd like that!!! HEHE

"Oh, HOMER!!"

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  08:34:07 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
InaGddaDaEvil baaaaby...

InaGaddaDaEvil...

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  3:32:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
its Ina Gotta Da Veta

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  4:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yeah, what he said.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  5:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In the Garden of Eden, baby
In the Garden of Eden, honey
Don't you know that I love you
Don't you know that I'll always be true

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  5:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
not to be confused with the Peter Gabriel song: In the Blood of Eden!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  07:51:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey revrendmaynard14, you can probably guess where my vote lies for what movie to see based on this thread. I suggest The Ring!! I haven't seen it, but all I have heard is great things.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  5:42:09 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HispanicTeenGuitarist
Clerice and Hannibal both eat the guys brain, and then they fool around.

Yeah, the two actually seem to end up together judging from the end of that book. Then again, Hannibal did have her pretty drugged up.

Adam
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000