Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 New Job and an Eviction Notice.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  01:33:44 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, today was an interesting day. In my quest for improving employment, I've been applying at the University of Mississippi. I've had some interviews and two of the potential employers said I could have the job whenever Human Resources got their crap together. Well, today, I was tired of waiting, so I called HR and asked if there was anything I could do to speed this process. She said no, so I asked her what the current status was. She said the papers had just made it to her, and she had to forward them to the people who would call me with the job. So we hung up. About 20 minutes later, the person called me with a job offer.

So on September 9, 2002, I will begin employment with the National Center for Natural Products Research (NCNPR). I will probably run a really expensive gas chromatograph, but they haven't actually told me my duties yet. I will be doing research on marijuana. It will be better than the job I have now, for sure, and it will probably kick a lot of ass just because...well shit, it's marijuana for cryin' out loud.

So this is extraordinarily good news. I'm happy and all that. This is the job I was hoping to get. I left my two weeks notice immediately. My boss was really nice. (I actually went to the guy above my boss, and told him that if it weren't for my immediate boss, I wouldn't have looked so hard...my boss is an ass...)

I'm also working for the optometrist again, making glasses. I'll probably drop that job like a bad habit after Sept 9. Either that or I'll say that I'll stay if he'll pay me a heck of a lot more. I'm doing him a favor, so he can just pay me loads of cash.

For the second part of the story, I'll give a little background. I live at a place called the University Christian Student Center, which is exactly as you might expect. Lots of rules, pretty strict and the directors are assholes to people who aren't all into their rules and whatnot. Even if they follow them (like me) and don't like them... The director and I have a torrid past. I've thought he was an asshole for years, so that kinda strained our relationship, as you might expect. (*editors note: the reason I think he's an ass is because once when I was mad and having problems with my dad years ago, I wanted to talk to him and he put me off saying he was too busy. He told me that he'd look at his schedule and maybe in the next two weeks he'd be able to meet with me. He never did.) Anywho, I had a meeting with the director (Glen) the other day. He supposed he'd talk me into leaving, which he didn't. What he did was to convince me that I should tell him exactly what I think about him. He didn't ask for this, but his fucking idiotness just told me that that's what he wanted. So I kindly oblidged him, and told him that there isn't one single thing that I like about him, and that his (and his family's) leaving for Argentina on a permanent mission trip was the best thing that he has done for the UCSC yet. He'll be leaving at the end of the month.

Ok, part two. He asked me Tuesday to meet with him again, to "follow up" on our last meeting. I at first said ok, but then a bit later I told him that I'd look at my schedule and maybe in the next two weeks I'd be able to meet with him. (Keep in mind that he's leaving for Argentina in less than that time.) Hehe...

So tonight, I get home from making glasses, really just now in fact, long enough for me to not be mad and then call my girlfriend and tell her and type this...I find this note on my desk...

Jason,

As co-directors of the University Christian Student Center, we regret to inform you of our decision to ask that you leave the Center. We have given much prayer and thought about this for many months and feel that this is in the best interest to the Center and to you.

The reasons for this are as follows:

1. You have openly displayed your lack of confidence in the guidelines of the UCSC. Although you have been compliant, it is obvious by your outward expression that you do not agree with these guidelines. This has been noted by some of the other residents over the last two years in unsolicited comments ot us and we also believe this to be true. We believe that this has had a negative impact on the other residents and the campus ministry.

2. You have made it clear that the reason why you have continued to live at the UCSC is because it is more economical for you to do so. The UCSC does not exist as a business to make money. The goals and guidelines of the UCSC are mostly concerned with the spiritual welfare of each resident. Each resident is accepted based on the assumption that his or her spiritual life is very important. Therefore, it seems to us, that you no longer share the same concern you expressed when you first submitted your application.

3. It is also assumed that each resident will voluntarily pursue an active spiritual relationship with a local church (not necessarily the Church Of Christ), which means regular attendance at worship services and participation in other spiritual meetings and activities of that church. Although you have been attending fairly consistently the Sunday morning services with the Oxford Church of Christ, you have been inactive in other activities. It is our opinion that your lack participation in the body life of the congregation indicates a lack of interest in that part of your spiritual life.

In summary, in light of the attitudes that your actions demonstrate, we must conclulde your presence at the Center is not in keeping with the overall goals of the UCSC. Further, it seems to us, that you would be much happier in another environment where you would not be obligated to fulfill the daily expectations here at the UCSC.

What we request is that you make arrangements to be out of your room by September 14th. This allows you four weeks to make other arrangements. During the four weeks you will not be required to attent the regular Bible class, Bread Breaks, or meals, although you may come if you desire. (Of course, you will be expected to abide by all the other guidelines.) The charge for your room wil be $70.00 per week (normally, the charges are about $88 per week including meals; this price reflects that deduction). You will owe, as well, $5 per day from August 4th until 17th, which is a total of $70.

This request does not and should not reflect any judgment of your own standing with God. It principally has to do with what is expected at the UCSC.

If you want to appeal this decision, you certianly may do so by requesting a meeting with the UCSC steering committee, which is comprised of the elders (Charlie Cooper, Durward Davis, Eric Dahl, Ernie Harland, & Roscoe Newton) of the Oxford Church of Christ. This appeal should be made by August 25th, 2002. If you do not appeal then it will be taken that you are making plans to abide by this request.

I (Glen) continue to ask for your forgiveness for having let you down. It is all I can do.

In the service of our Master,

[signature]

Glen & Kathy Henton

As you might expect, the letter itself makes me kinda mad. Not really mad, just kinda. I'm glad I'm getting kicked out. That has been Glen's quest for quite some time. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, exactly, but I'm open to suggestions. I was planning to move out of here (for the above listed reasons, more or less) whenever I got the University job. Well, that was today, so the letter couldn't have been better timed. I'll just move out just like I planned. I'll still be here when Glen leaves, and for that I'll be glad. I was here when they started directing the USCS, and I'll be here when they leave. So I win.

I'm not really asking for anyone to read all of this (although if you read this sentence, I suppose you probably did read all of it. I just wanted to tell someone, and I don't want to wake anyone but my girl up this late.

Ha. So that's my day. Overall, I'd say it was a great day.

I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot.

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  3:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm not really asking for anyone to read all of this

... u should have put that at the top.... rather then the bottom... heh.

anyway, sounds to me your better off leaving that place anyway. And good luck w/ the new job.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  4:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It sounds a bit like a cult. I mean, you need to talk to the elders, you have to attend meetings, Bible classes.......seems a little strange.

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  8:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Stated in the letter:
quote:
This request does not and should not reflect any judgment of your own standing with God.

This one really cracked me up. I have to agree that it sounds like you are better off outta there and the new job sounds kick ass. I love all the double speak in the letter they sent you. I was trying to decide if it was a form letter or if they actually typed that all out for you special. If the latter is the answer then it sounds like they are trying not to be sued or something. All in all, it sounds like things are looking up. Changes locations could be the best thing you ever did for yourself. Who knows, only TIMe will tell. Good luck with the move, as I speak from experience, moving can be the most traumatic experience one can encounter. GOOD LUCK!! and good riddance!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  8:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jason wrote:
quote:
Well, today, I was tired of waiting, so I called HR and asked if there was anything I could do to speed this process. She said no, so I asked her what the current status was. She said the papers had just made it to her, and she had to forward them to the people who would call me with the job. So we hung up. About 20 minutes later, the person called me with a job offer.

Sounds to me like you found the way to speed up the process. HEHE

Gotta love bureaucratic RED TAPE!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  8:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jason it sounds like it was meant to be. The TIMing couldn't have been any better. I'm sure things will be great after you move and get settled. I'll be moving too, but let me tell ya it's not going to be easy. There is so much stuff in this house it scares me!! LOL!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  9:44:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey Teri, did you know this about our friend Jason? Did it come up in any of your conversations with him while he was in LA?

From Jason's eviction letter:
quote:
3. It is also assumed that each resident will voluntarily pursue an active spiritual relationship with a local church (not necessarily the Church Of Christ), which means regular attendance at worship services and participation in other spiritual meetings and activities of that church. Although you have been attending fairly consistently the Sunday morning services with the Oxford Church of Christ, you have been inactive in other activities. It is our opinion that your lack participation in the body life of the congregation indicates a lack of interest in that part of your spiritual life.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  9:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yep, I knew. Sorry I forgot to mention it...

When he and Liz and I were hanging out in Santa Monica, we somehow came to the conclusion that Jason's home church (in Corinth) is the same as Sheri Hill's grandfather's. Small world, eh?

teri :)

Fluffy said:
quote:

hey Teri, did you know this about our friend Jason? Did it come up in any of your conversations with him while he was in LA?

From Jason's eviction letter:[quote]3. It is also assumed that each resident will voluntarily pursue an active spiritual relationship with a local church (not necessarily the Church Of Christ), which means regular attendance at worship services and participation in other spiritual meetings and activities of that church. Although you have been attending fairly consistently the Sunday morning services with the Oxford Church of Christ, you have been inactive in other activities. It is our opinion that your lack participation in the body life of the congregation indicates a lack of interest in that part of your spiritual life.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  11:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yep, I grew up in the CoC. I don't consider myself that, but that's probably what my parents consider me. I'm not sure what I think of myself as. But Glen & Kathy have turned me off from CoC, that's for sure.

Funny things about the letter that I didn't mention:

All the activities that 'aren't required' shouldn't get me in trouble for not going to them.

Secondly, I'd talked to Glen about my not going to church on Sun night and Wed night. Those two nights I have to interact with Glen more (in class settings and whatnot) and I told him flat out once (last meeting) that I didn't go because I couldn't stand to be around him. It's honesty like that that he can't stand from me, and that's the kind of thing he wants me out for.

And finally, if all the 'steering committee' is at the CoC, then how will they know one way or another if I go to antoher church on the times they don't see me?

What a bunch of cocksucking assholes. I still haven't decided what I want to say or do to Glen, but I want it to be mean and spiteful.

I want him to go to Argentina with his only remembrance of Oxford being that I hate every single thing about him. And you should hear what's really going thru my head......

And for all of you who said I'm better off not in the 'cult'... I know that, and it's no surprise. I was going to move out once I got the new job anyway, which is now. I just wanted to outlast Glen and Kathy, which I believe I'll be doing. If not, then I'll just stay. What will they do? Throw my stuff out?

Ha, well, I'm interested to hear what you all think I should say to Glen. I've got a few ideas boiling in my head, but I can't seem to get them to homogenize....

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  11:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hehe......that would look good in the paper. UCSC throws out tenant.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  12:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sounds to me like it's a personal thing, and they tried their hardest to find a loophole to get rid of you, like your not attending the optional-manditory activities or whatever that shit was.

Sounds to me like with the new job, and getting booted from that place, you're on to better and brighter things. Good luck with everything. And I'm sure you'll have no problem getting an apartment or something either.

Keep us posted on how it turns out,

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  12:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

All the activities that 'aren't required' shouldn't get me in trouble for not going to them.

did you only wear the minumum 15 pieces of flair?

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  12:18:01 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  2:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

MWAHHAHHAHHHA....

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  2:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Office Space is awesome.

"If I wanted to, I could burn this whole place down." - Milton.

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  2:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just found out last night that my next door neighbor, who is incidentally one of the board members sons (Erich Dahl, listed in the letter), got busted with a fifth of rum in his room. That is an offence that will get one kicked out. But he didn't get an eviction notice. His attitude is most certianly as bad as mine, and he goes to church only slightly more than I do...

Double standard hypocrite christian bastards...

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  2:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I should note (cause then I can look back here if I forget) that my title at the marijuana field will be Associate Research and Development Chemist. Sounds cool, huh? I'll probably just be doing menial lab work, but hell, it's cool anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  2:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of research are you doing with Marijuana again?

That is bullshit. Organized religion is a way to turn people's brains off. This is right, and this is wrong, there is no in between.

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  3:23:26 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think, and I'm not sure, because they only touched on it in the interview, that I'll be running purity tests. Ole Miss sells a lot of maryjuanita to other schools for research and whatnot, and I think I'll be the one to say what THC content (the active get me high ingredient in weed) the weed we sell them is.

Also, I'll be testing weed that's confiscated off the streets for the same thing...purity. Seeing how strong it is, maybe even get an idea about from where it came...stuff like that. As far as I know, what I'll be working with will be liquid samples of the stuff. I'm not sure if I'll be making the samples myself (ie, working with actual leaves)... So I might not actually work with what people smoke. Of course, it's in the lab in abundance.

That's what I THINK I'll be doing. But again, I'm not sure. I guess I'll know on Sept 9.

And your problem, Arthen (and maybe others above) with organized religion is my problem, as well. That's why they say I have a bad attitude. I don't see it as a bad attitude, just a different one. And as has been said before, that sort of thing (actual thinking) is frowned upon in the church.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  3:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know the Nazis had pieces of flair, but they made the Jews wear them.

Hehe.......have you told the UCSC what your new job is?

Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  6:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
even with fluffy being busy and not on the board at the moment, i am still quite surprised that his radar didn't pick up my misspelling of the word minimum. my powers of misdirection grow daily...

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  6:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Maybe organized religion doesn't want people to think, but I believe GOD wants us to think.

He also mentioned we should turn the other cheek. Just a thought.

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  01:35:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe in some sort of higher power. Just not in the things "THEY" Say you have to do. Why does going to a church increase my praying ability? I can worship the same from everywhere. Kinda like that movie Stigmata.

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  2:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hehe, in your remaining time there you should just act like a total satanist or something like that...

Yes, in my opinion, although I don't really believe in any type religion, if there is any kind of "god" that made us then I doubt he would want us to be dynamic and not static like most churches want us to be. I stand by this: Religion is certainty, Science is uncertainty. It depends what kind of person you are. I love not knowing the truth about anything. Speculation is fun.

"Get up an move... or I'll put a curse on you... that all your children will be born naked." – Hendrix
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  2:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm glad today starts a new week...because last week was one of the most active ones I can remember for me.

Take yesterday for example (if all of the above wasn't enough for you). There was a concert in the Grove on campus to which I went...I saw a girl I used to be friends with and we didn't speak... So later, she and her fiance came to where I live (it has public areas, so that's not odd for them to visit).... They passed by, then about two minutes later, Courtney, the girl, came back to where I was and just GAVE ME HELL for about 15 minutes. Why don't I talk to her, why do I act like I don't know her when we grew up together. She said that it was 6 or 7 years ago...I don't even remember.

And that's the key for me. I don't remember. She gave me hell and just ripped me apart, and I didn't defend myself and she cried and all that shit.... But I don't remember it, so I'm not going to apologize for it... It's just a bunch of shit if you ask me. What the hell?

Well, anyway, that didn't make my day. I didn't necessarily fell bad but I don't like to get chewed out for something I'm not even sure about.

So last week was one hell of a week. I don't care to repeat any of it except the new job part. Well, that and that it gets me one week closer to Glen's fat ass leaving for Argentina... I think I'll send him a bunch of hate postcards when he gets there. I'm not sure yet.

Then again, after last week, I just have to wonder if I'm being pulled over by the Karma Police. What do you think? Maybe I DO need to change my attitude.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  3:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Why not just let Glen stew in his own hatefulness? No reason to put a hold on moving forward because you're hanging on to bad feelings about somebody who's not going to be around anyway.

teri

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  3:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I believe in some sort of higher power. Just not in the things "THEY" Say you have to do. Why does going to a church increase my praying ability? I can worship the same from everywhere.

I don't go to church to increase praying ability. I do it both for fellowship and for education. I love singing songs with everyone else in my church; it always gets me in a good mood. I also like listening to whatever my pastor has to say, since there's usually something in his lesson that I had either forgotten or hadn't even thought of before.

For example, this morning, he talked about Doubt. That's not something I had given much thought to, but my faith is often challenged by doubt, so I found the lesson useful. There was a quote I liked: "If faith never encounters doubts, how can faith know its own power? ...If I had to choose between a faith that has stared doubt in the eye and made it blink, or a naive faith, I will choose the former every time."

teri

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  6:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Jason, I just now read your post, that is some crazy stuff, I too was wondering if that was a form letter. It seemed like half and half. Have you made any plans on where to live? Be sure to keep us posted on your living situation, hopefully you find someplace nice.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  7:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, church is a good place to worship with one another, but I don't think people should necessarily think that it is the ONLY way to worship.

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  7:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Right on.

teri

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  7:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes I'll want to go, and the last time I did, it was great. Not on a really spirtual level it's never that great anymore, but we had a cool pastor preach.
He is the youth pastor at our church and he's trying to get his doctorate so the Offical Pastor let him talk, and he showed a movie clip from Braveheart.

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  8:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Teri said:
quote:
Small world, eh?

And seems like it is getting smaller with each passing day.

I love that you and Arthen managed to have a discussion/disagreement about RELEGION of all things and proved it doesn't have to get ugly just because of the topic. That is way kewl!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  8:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
religiously i stand in the agnostic side of things. i grew up in a protestant household going to church every sunday. when i was about 15 or so i started questioning my beliefs, for i didn't agree with what i saw other "christians" doing(mostly televangelists). eventually i became hateful of organized religion and church and whatnot. i became wiccan for a short time(worshiping a goddess as opposed to a god, doing ritual stuff, nature, etc..) then i read the book Ishmael and now i'm just confused as shit. like i was pagan/wiccan because i figured that was the FIRST religion, but i was wrong. animism was the original religion, the religion of the hunter/gatherer tribes. it's kinda a belief in that the gods control fate, and not to worry about anything cause the gods will take care of it for good or bad. so i guess i'm animist/agnostic, shit who knows though!

"Set the gear shift to the high gear of your soul, you gotta run like an antelope, out of control" -Dude of Life
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  9:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There are too many religions nowadays........maybe they should merge, like the corporations.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  02:29:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Unlike corporations, they will never dissolve.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  02:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I LOVE THE NORSE GODS. Odin, Loki, Thor, and Rig!

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  03:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Relegions will never merge the way corporations have because they will never be able to negotiate belief systems. But don't kid yourself, organized relegion IS Big Business. The Vatican, richest organization in the world, yet their priests take vows of poverty. HMMMM, could it be to keep the Vatican rich? Don't have to pay the lowly servants anything of any substance if they take a vow of poverty. TV evangelists who say send us your money. Rarely do they ask for prayers without asking for a contribution. They aren't broadcasting out of the goodness of their hearts. Of course I am making very general statements here, but I believe most organized relegion, if you examine it, comes out looking more like a business. So to answer your question, they are already businesses, and the likelyhood of those businesses merging is about as likely as any of them seeing eye to eye or people to stop killing in the name of relegion and God. Sad but true. All relegions claim to be based in the belief in Love and fellowship(generally speaking of course), yet alot of relegions kill in the name of God. The irony does not escape me. I think I should stop here as this is starting to sound like the "God Clarifies..." post and we know how that ended up. PEACE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  7:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why not just let Glen stew in his own hatefulness? No reason to put a hold on moving forward because you're hanging on to bad feelings about somebody who's not going to be around anyway.

Teri, I'm impressed with your positive outlook. And as such, I'm going to do my best to follow this idea. I'm still not going to like him, and I'm going to do my best to avoid him, but I'll try ... well, I'll try somewhat to do your advice. I at least realize that it's extraordinary adivce, and I hope that I can follow it.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  10:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As Fluffy can probably attest, I am TERRIBLE at holding a grudge. So I guess my advice is simply based on what I would do... Good luck!

teri

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  10:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Fluffy said:

Of course I am making very general statements here, but I believe most organized relegion, if you examine it, comes out looking more like a business.

That's one of the reasons I choose to worship at independent Christian churches. I get enough organizational structure at work, so I prefer to go to small and/or independent churches that aren't affiliated with anybody but Jesus.

teri

Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  10:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You think the clergy would ever shut down willingly? of course not, being a Non Profit Tax exempt Organization.

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  10:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They'd be even less willing than the government, I'd say.

teri

Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  11:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Exactly, although the sudden backslide and collapse of the oldest established church, The Roman Catholic, has made me wonder...

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  12:42:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

TV evangelists who say send us your money. Rarely do they ask for prayers without asking for a contribution. They aren't broadcasting out of the goodness of their hearts. Of course I am making very general statements here, but I believe most organized relegion, if you examine it, comes out looking more like a business.

A perfect example of this would be Reverend Lovejoy from the Simpsons........he painted a very crude but accurate view of religion (Catholic at least).

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  05:48:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The Simpsons have always been quite accurate in their parody of almost all subjects. There is alot going on upstairs in the minds of the writers of that show. It never ceases to amaze me how they can poke fun at so many of our human foibles all in one episode. Amazing stuff. That is one of the reasons I think the Simpsons will become quite legendary and looked at as groundbreaking in that department in the future. I won't be surprised to see books examining the social commentary and parody of the times 20 years from now. The Simpsons is definitely ahead of it's TIMe.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  2:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Flanders: Ummm.....bad news, there seems to be slim pickings today Reverend.
Lovejoy: (looks at empty collection plate) Uh oh......better use the emergency plate.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  9:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jason it sounds like everything will undoubtedly end up for the best. Er... at least we hope so. :)
-J

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  9:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Silky, and I don't doubt that you (and most everyone else) are right. Today, I told my boss (the owner) about a place I was looking at (crappy) and he said, well why don't you rent my house. I've been to this place before...super nice. It's a small apartment house (stands alone) that faces his pool...all utilities paid, they take care of everything. Down to the silverware. (Excluding varying cost items [phone bill] and cable [and I don't have a tv now anyway, which is why I didn't consider that part of "everything"])

The ONLY drawback is that it's about 10 minutes from town. But I'm going to take that, I imagine. My boss (the owner) is super nice...and as funny as hell. AND there's no lease, which ANYONE will know as a big bonus... I don't know what else to say about it. I'd have full access to the pool at all times. I could even probably do some yard work to offset rent... Their yard is beautiful...and I'm a yard man...I love to do yardwork...so there are endless opportunities.. Directly on the other side of house from the pool, there is a pond stocked with catfish... It's just great... So there's a place for me to live, even if I only live there while looking for somewhere else...

Ok, that's the update for today. I found out that then new director of the UCSC (who has been a friend of mine for a couple of years..."friend" I should say) was asked what he thought about me getting kicked out before I got kicked out, and he told me that he "didn't defend me." What a bunch of pussies.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  9:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good. When's the new job start?
-J

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  11:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sept 9. And I'll probably be moving the 14th if not sooner (as in...all that week...) So that's going to be a busy week for me. But a good one! I'll get the hell out of the UCSC and the hell away from my shitty boss (not the owner).

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  7:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like everything has already turned out for the best. House facing the pool? Much better than living in RULE HELL. See, now that's what I'm talking about. Good things happen to good people. We won't hold it against you or tell Glen that you have been running up your post count again. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  7:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe it was commandment 13....

"Thou shalt not Whore-Post!"

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  8:46:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmmmmmm.....shall we add this to the rules? I think not!

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  9:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No, it shall not be thusly added to the rules...

I'm trying to decide when to move in to my new house...the one by the pool...yes, that one. I didn't tell my boss today that I'm going to live there, but it doesn't matter...if I don't take it, they aren't going to try to rent it until October... So I'm thinking I might just go on and move oot there around the first of Sept, so that I can be set up and comfortable when the job starts on Sept 9.

But of course there's this large part of me that wants to be an ass (aside from the part that actually is ass) that wants to stay until the last minute here just to be an ass. I hate this place and I don't like many people here (of course, my girl does live here... And I want to inconvenience these people as much as possible.

Ok, Jason, take Teri's advice... move out asap.

Good idea, I think that's what I'll do.

So on about the second weekend of Sept...PARTY AT JASON'S!!!! NO RULES! JUST RIGHT!

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  9:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Can I come?

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  9:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You bring the So.Cal hookers and we can all come.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  9:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
All right! How many do you want? 10? 100? 1000?........and who's paying for this?

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  9:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey hey hey, I'm providing the pad and the pool...you gotta bring the hos

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  9:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK.....how about this.......you pay for all of our airfair, and I pay for all the sexual gratification.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2002 :  4:17:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You think the clergy would ever shut down willingly? of course not, being a Non Profit Tax exempt Organization.

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com

reminded me of a funny joke "Atheism, a non-prophet organization"

"Set the gear shift to the high gear of your soul, you gotta run like an antelope, out of control" -Dude of Life
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2002 :  1:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
pcbdmb asked:
quote:
All right! How many do you want? 10? 100? 1000?........and who's paying for this?

Maybe you could get Silky to SPONSER the event. You know free advertising and all. Silky should have a plethora at his disposal.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2002 :  3:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You can't buy that kind of PR... count me in.
-J

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2002 :  3:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sounds great! Are there gonna be banners bearing Silky's name for advertisments, like at baseball games? There you go Silky, put up a sign that says "If you hit this sign, you get a free ho courtesy of Silky the Pimp".

And all your hos can wear shirts that say "As seen on TV".

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2002 :  3:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No, I think they will say something more like, "If you like what you are feeling, Thank Silky!!!"

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  10:03:36 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just hit the refresh button on me moving... I've now got about 8 boxes of books... And things are going ok... I've packed about 15 boxes all told, and I have about that many to go, of course not including clothes and the like. I wish I could just go on and start taking stuff over there, but I haven't said I'm taking the place yet... Maybe tomorrow. Probably tomorrow. I can't wait.

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  10:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I can tell you from experience... if there is any way you can space it out over a few days, do so. A one day attack is a serious pain in the rear.
-J

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  02:33:34 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've just sort of accidentally been taking stuff over there for a couple of days. It's been good that way... I'll probably finish tomorrow, maybe. And by friday, I should be set up like I want to be. That will be nice. So in other words, party at my house Saturday. Everyone's invited.

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000