The Trek Back......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  4:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well Rew and I have been taking our sweet time returning to DC. The original plan was to leave Santa Fe on Monday(Memorial Day)after Tim and Diane's party on Sunday. On Sat nite we accompanied T&D to The Paramount for The Red Ball which was quite a hoot. We had alot of fun and T&D told us they thought it would be better if we waited till Tuesday to leave, figuring traffic would be unbearable with everyone traveling for Memorial Day. So we arranged to pick up our rental car on Tuesday morning after we checked out of the hotel and returned the rental van from the tour. So we wake up Tuesday and go to the Santa Fe airport to rent our car and we encountered much hassle which we eventually resolved. Then we drove the van and rental car and met T&D for lunch at one of our fave restaurants in Santa Fe, San Marcos. We had our going away, San Marcos burritos with the awesome green chilies. We made our way back to T&D's house and moved our luggage from the van to the rental car with every intention of leaving very soon. While we were packing Eura came home from school and leaving was put on the back burner. We ended up spending the afternoon with Eura and Tim hiking around the arroyo and playing with Coco. I took pictures of all the Reynolds pets. Next on the agenda was a quick(haha) swim with Eura before we left. Well our quick swim became hours and the sun was just starting to set when we finally pulled out of the Reynolds homestead. WE had a beautiful drive up 25 to Denver where we arrived at Kyle's house at about 2:30 in the morning. He was excited to see us given the hour of day and we hung out, watched movies and checked out a sample of the DVD Kyle is working on. We went to bed very late(as always) and slept away most of the next day until Katie came over after she got off work. Then it was off to the Olive Garden for dinner and much banter. After dinner we went by Blockbuster and rented The Others, which was an excellent film. Katie went to bed early for fear she would have to work the next day. Luckily the gods shined down and work was cancelled for her and she returned to greet our smiling faces as we awoke from our slumber. TR had suggested that if there was TIMe, we should really take a trip up to Mt Evans just outside of Denver, so we decided this was how we should spend our day. The weather was beautiful in Denver but Rew and I knew it would be much colder at 14,000 ft so we dressed in long pants and jackets. Katie and Kyle were not counting on this even after our warnings that it would be colder. They wore shorts and tank tops. It was quite a drive to Mt Evans, we passed Red Rocks which we had planned to stop and look at on the way back. We also passed an indoor go cart place and I am constantly trying to get Rew to stop and let me ride go carts everytime we pass a track but there never seems to be enuf TIMe. So we added that to our list of things to do. Unfortunately, it has not happened yet. Kyle commented that traffic had never seemed so bad on this section of I-70 even when there was a concert at Red Rocks so we all wondered what the problem was. There were literally dozens of cars broken down on the side of the road from the steep Mt grade and the slow moving traffic. These factors make for some serious overheating problems. We laughed at all the stupid drivers who didn't know the warning signs to look for. As we progressed we found that the reason for the slow down was a truck coming DOWN the steep grade we were going up had lost control and crossed the median and struck a car. It was a vicious accident we had witnessed the aftermath too. Truck, no brakes, downhill Mt grade, does not make for a pretty picture, especially if you are in the car it is headed at head on. UGLY!!! Anyway, after passing the accident traffic lightened up and we were on our way. 18 more miles and it was our exit for Mt Evans. We began the slow ascent up Mt Evans. It was so beautiful, I took lots of pics which hopefully one day you will all get to see. On the way up we kept stopping so I could snap pictures of the scenery. At one stop we heard this wierd sound over one of the cliffs next to the road. I opted to investigate and discovered a weird animal. I was not sure what it was but I was less than 10 ft away from it. I thought it was a badger to which Rew told me I really should run the other way back to the car because they were known to attack. I had to get pictures though, much to Rew's shegrin. When I got back to the car we discoved in the MtEvans brochure that it was actually a Marmet. We ended up seeing a number of them, even saw one stick his head up thru the road we were traveling on. As we ascended it was getting colder and colder. We passed a lake that was completely frozen over(I got pictures). And we were starting to see unmelted snow. Yes it was 99 degrees in Denver but it was getting much colder 30 minutes away on Mt Evans. We finally make it to the top where even short walks to the scenic overlooks took your breath away. Both the views took your breath away and so did the thin air at 14,000+ elevation. As we parked a cloud quickly engulfed the top of Mt Evans and within moments of stepping out of the car I noticed a wierd cracking noise in my hair. I couldn't figure out what it was and asked Kyle and Katie if my hair was on fire and they started laughing. Apparently my hair was standing straight up and I was becoming a big electrical charge to which Rew responded by screaming, "OH MY GOD, BACK IN THE CAR!" We jumped back in the car and he explained how I was probably about to be struck by lightning in the cloud, as we waited in the car it began to snow heavily. We waited for a good 20-30 minutes hoping it would pass so we could get out and take pictures and look around, our whole reason for going up there. There is an observatory up there that is the highest observatory in the world. Pretty kewl, huh? Also of note, Mt Evans is the highest road in the US. Anyway after the snow finally let up we exited the car and began exploring. We immediately found signs which warned us of impending chance of being struck by lightning at such a high altitude(better late than never, HEHE) We walked around and checked out the views and they were AMAZING!! Denver looked like a speck, as if you were looking at if from and airplane. After considerable Ohhhing and Ahhhing, we returned to car where Katie and Kyle had already heading back to. If you will remember earlier in my story I told you what they were wearing and now they were wishing they had not worn tanktops and shorts. HEHE I climbed into the car and waited for Rew who quickly jumped in and turned and key to start the car and NOTHING, I mean NOTHING. We looked at each other in sheer panic. We tried and tried but to no avail. So we started asking people if they had jumper cables and noone did. Rew used the emergency call box to call the state police as we could see we were in dire straits. It was already cold, and we knew as the sun went down it would get even colder and we had no way of starting the car to keep ourselves warm. Sucks to be us at this point. One guy came over and offered to drive someone down the Mt for help to which we sent Rew with Katie because she was already freezing and we had no idea how long we might be stranded up there at night. We had tried using K&K's cell phones but no signal, at least not a constant signal that lasted long enuf to get help. It really sucked. So Rew and Katie jumped in the car with Todd who it turned out worked at a club in Chicago that Rew and I had been to when we saw Spiritualized after the TR show at Loyola on the last tour. How weird is that? SYNCHRONICITY I guess. So Kyle and I waited in the car, on the Mt, continually trying to call Hertz to send help. We got thru 6 times and they would try and ask us all the pertinent info about the car and by the TIMe we got it out we would get cut off. It was very frustrating. By the 5th and 6th call Kyle was telling them we had a pregnant woman in the car and they better get help here soon before we froze to death. They were very unhelpful, surprise surprise. About this TIMe a gentleman came trudging down from the peak at Mt Evans, he had climed up there earlier in hopes of getting picture of the beautiful sunset we all expected. He had climbed up, set up his tripod and camera on the peak and was waiting. As the cloud approached he moved back to his camera and tripod and found them loudly buzzing, he new he should get away from them quickly. He climbed down between some rocks hoping to not get struck by lightning as well. Eventually the storm blew over and he trudged back down to the parking area with no pictures to show for his daytrip. He had seen us down in the parking lot with our hood up and came over and asked if we needed help. HE HAD JUMPER CABLES!! I didn't think it was going to work because it sounded more like a starter problem than a dead battery. I told him we would give it a shot but I didn't have high hopes. I asked him if he knew anything about cars and he shyly responded that he was a mechanic. So we hooked them up and let it charge for 5 minutes and he said try it now. I jumped in the car and it started right up. He pulled out his battery tester and checked our battery and said it was charging fine, so we should probably be OK. He offered to follow us down the Mt just in case we ran into anymore trouble. AS we drove down the Mt, we passed Rew in a big ole tow truck and we waved them down and told them we had obviously gotten it started. So they turned around and we all met at the bottom of the Mt at the gift show where Rew has left Katie in the warmth. We were very happy to be down off the Mt. It had been a beautiful trip that turned into and adventure against the elements, but all in all, we had a great TIMe. As we were getting ready to leave the parking lot of the gift shop, I saw the brightest, longest-lasting shooting star I had ever seen. It was brilliant. It was so dark up in the Mts that it was almost as bright as the moon as it soared thru the sky. I had just finished taking pictures of Venus and Mercury because they were so bright in the nite sky when it just soared past them. I saw it light up flash and soar brightly across the sky. It was truly beautiful. I screamed as I saw it and Rew thought I was being attacked by an animal or something. He tuned just in TIMe to catch the tail end of it. Everyone asked if I had made a wish. I told them yes, and that it had already come true. I had wished we would get down off that Mt. So my wish had already come true and I chose to look at the shooting star as a good omen that we were all safely off the Mt and on our way back home. All it all, it was a great trip even though we didn't make it back in TIMe to see Red Rocks or the go carts. Who knows, maybe we can do the go carts today. When we got back Rew and I watched Oceans Eleven and Bandits. Both great movies! If you haven't seen them, I highly advise checking them out. The next day we got up and headed for the pool. It was even hotter the next day, and the pool seemed like a logical choice. Luckily Katie had been given the day off again so she got to hang with us as well. Rew got a little burnt being the pale skinned vampire that he is, but again we had a great TIMe. After the pool all afternoon, Kyle took us to the most amazing restaurant called Radizio. I think it is my favorite restaurant in the entire country. It was amazing. THANX KYLE. We came back to Kyle's and decided to watch A Knights Tale. Rew and I had already seen it and liked it and we knew Katie would like it. She did. After that Katie went to bed and Kyle and I messed around with the computer and all the photos I had taken on the last tour. He got very frustrated as did I and we decided to give up for the nite. He went to bed and Rew and I sat out on the balcony and talked about the tour and the touring lifestyle and decided we are very lucky to have the jobs we have. We are thankful. We then decided to watch Zoolander which we both ended up falling asleep during which brings us to today. I wonder what we will do today. I hope for the go carts. We'll see. Thanx for reading, Caio for now!!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  5:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Holy Hell, That is quite a story. I love getting to read about your adventures, and I think that was probably the best one yet! You know when you said that you two are two lucky guys, man you aint kidding! I hope that when I'm done with school I'll have the opportunity to travel around as much as you and be able to see all the beauty that is out there.

On a somewhat related note, I'm in the planning stages of a trip to Hawaii in the first week of July. I'm super excited about that since I've never been there and I've always wanted to. As a bonus, my girlfiend's parents live there, so I'll have free food, lodging, and tour-guides! All I have to pay for is a plane ticket.

Anyways, thanks for posting the story Fluffy! It was a wonderful read.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  6:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Kevin, you should call Teri, you know she was just there for her marathon. She might be able to give you some pointers or suggestions of kewl places to check out. Sounds like alot of fun. We know a guy in NM who keeps promising to get us a couple of TR shows over there and we hope it happens. It would be great. Glad you enjoyed the story. More to come as our adventure continues.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  6:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh and I still need to see that movie The Others, everyone I've talked to has praised it. Unfortunately I just don't have a heck of a lot of time at the moment. Two more weeks of school, and the last ones are always the toughest, thats when I've got the long papers to write, and finals. Plus we have to move out of our Apt and into another.. now here comes the really crappy part... we are living in the same apt complex, just a new unit, and there is a week lapse in time between when we have to move out and when we can move in. Now explain that one to me??? They just expect us to sleep on the beach for a week or what?

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  7:19:04 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh and thanks for the tip, Honolulu is actually where they live, so thats where I'll be. I'm really looking forward to some of the rain forests.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  7:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Great story Fluffy! (But have you ever heard of the concept of paragraphs. That was sort of a hard read...) I'm glad Rew saved you from being struck by lightning! Tell him I owe him one.

What will you do during the homeless week? Do you have any idea what you'll do with your furniture?

As for Hawaii, I had a blast there. The main thing we didn't do was visit Diamond Head. We were sore from the marathon so we waited until the end of our visit. But then it rained the last three days so we didn't get to go. :-( Hanauma Bay is cool if you would like to try snorkeling. And the North Shore was beautiful and less crowded than the Honolulu side of the island. If you surf here in California, you should definitely give it a try there! (Not that I do, I just saw lots of other people surfing.)

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  7:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
oops, didnt mean for that to be offensive, I changed it

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  8:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Then I'll change mine too. Or it won't make any sense.

teri

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  8:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
And now I'm confused.

But that was a very interesting story. The only real nature that I've seen is Yosemite....and that is wonderful. But it sounds like you had a lot of fun. Too bad that acmera didn't get hit....it would have been kewl (j/k). That is also good advice, if you start buzzing, run away!

Also, that shooting star reminds me of one that I saw here in L.A. I was in the northern hills of the valley and it had rained the day before and was windy, so the sky waas very clear. I was looking at the sky when I saw the biggest shooting star ever. It was so big that at first I thought it was a firework that someone shot off. I saw it fly all the way across the sky and break up near the end. It was really kewl.

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  9:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I drove a couple of hours outside the city to watch the Perseid meteor showers last year. That was pretty cool too. Just laying on a blanket watching falling star after falling star...

teri

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  9:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah....I remember that. It was really wierd because all of them were green.

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  10:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OOOh yeah, that was a great night! Myself and 3 other friends drove up to a hill, and lied is the back of my roomate's truck and stared upward for about 3-4 hours.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  10:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Grammar check: is that lay or lie? (Just kidding.)

teri

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  10:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
damnit! I guess I "lied" in saying that we lied, because we were laying.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  10:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Teri, a parawhat? Never heard of it. I was surprised you didn't catch my 2 spelling errors. I referred to the gift shop as the "gift show" and my spelling of Marmet which is actually spelled Marmot.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  10:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I must be slipping. I hope I'm not making the same errors in my case study.

teri

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  10:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
And also, 'lied' is the correct form for that sentence as well.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  11:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I found this to clear things up, but I don't think it does:

You lay down the book you've been reading, but you lie down when you go to bed. If the subject is acting on some other object, it's "lay." If the subject is lying down, then it's "lie." This distinction is often not made in informal speech, partly because in the past tense the words sound much more alike: "He lay down for a nap" but "he laid down the law." If the subject is already at rest, you might "let it lie."

ref: http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/lay.html

teri

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  11:50:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Okay, here it is:

lay:
He lays the book on the desk. (Present)
She laid the reports on the floor. (Simple Past)
lie:
They are lying by the fire. (Present Progressive)
We lay there all night. (Simple Past)

ref: http://www.trentu.ca/academicskills/answers.htm

Bottom Line: Kevin should have used the word "lay." Even though he didn't actually get laid. But when he goes to Honolulu with his girlfriend, he might get leid.

teri

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  11:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Really? My English teacher told us this simple rule where if you're now sure which one to use, just replace "lay" with "put"

For instance....

He lay the book down........He put the book down.

He lied down on the grass........He put down on the grass.

But then again, there are always exceptions to almost any grammar rule in English.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  12:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They do say not to believe everything you read on the Internet. I guess if we had a copy of "Strunk & White" we'd be better off. Oh well.

teri

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  12:11:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
the coolest shooting star i've ever seen was not even durign a meteor shower. I woke up at 2 or three in the morning one clear, cold January night, and opened my window to have a smoke. As I did, i remember looking a tthe stars and thinking aboot how big they were, how far, and on and on and on...then...THe sky jsut lit up like a nuke had gone off in my front yard. I looked up at the sky for a good five minutes, adn then to my horror, discovered the Camel i had a minute ago was smoldering on my roof. Thinking quickly, i jumped oot and grabbed the damn thing, burning my fingers badly. I didn't have a smoke for two weeks after that, i was scared of getting burned! Now i'm back, doing what is possibly the worst thing I can possibly do at 14, and that is smoking and staring at the night sky hoping to see a meteor like taht again.

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  12:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
that was beautiful, i think i'm gonna cry now!

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  12:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Cool. Except the part about burning your fingers. Are you sure that if you see another one you won't burn down your house?

teri

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  12:23:48 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, as an English Major, My copy of "writing from A to Z" is never far from my side:

"The confusion writers sometimes have between lay and lie is similar to thee confusion between set and sit. Lay (like set) is a transitive verb, that means place or put. Lie (like sit)is an intransitive verb meaning rest on a surface"

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  12:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
but what does that tell us about the past tense?

teri

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  01:45:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fun stuff fluffy... everyone should have a chance to travel the country like that.
-J

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  03:04:16 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK, I'm going to have to use my linguistics knowledge here: The example is as such:

"I laid (set) my glasses on the table"

this isn't helpful for two reasons, first of all, it is the glasses (which work as an agent to the verb) that do the (lying, laying, whatever) This doesnt work for me because in my example I was doing the (laying, lying). Also, I think animacy plays a part in this too. I'll have to look into it but I think these verbs care about animacy. Perhaps an animate objects lay, while inanimate objects lie???

Jesus, you are right Teri, we are geeks! Oh well.

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  09:57:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geez Fluffy what an adventure! Glad to hear everyone is safe
and warm. A bit of advice from a mountain girl....
NEVER go hiking, driving, or casually walking up a mountain
without survival stuff and extra clothes and blankets.
Warm blankets and clothes like wool that keep you warm even if your wet. Just in case. And some food and water too! Before you go you should ask yourself...What if I get lost or stranded? Could I last a few days with what I have with me? The fact that the cell phones didn't work is really scary too, but I guess that's understandable at 14,000 feet up! Where only Mother Nature's laws are at hand.

Sorry for yelling at you (probably couldn't tell cause its typed),
but its too easy to perish from hypothermia, esp in the ROCKIES!
I'll stop waving my finger and saying.."don't you ever do that again".
Great story and adventure none the less.
I bet the views were the best! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  10:10:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Liz, is it possible they were having this adventure on the
same day and TIMe we were having our discussion about
"climbing mountains"????
I believe its SYNCHRONICITY again!!!

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  2:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very valid points by Evergreen! I learned a little about them when I lived near Tahoe. We always heard horror stories of people getting lost in blizzards, like the Donner party. So I started keeping a blanket and some MREs in my trunk. So far I've never had to use them, thank goodness. (Except the blanket when I was watching the Perseids.)

teri

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  8:46:13 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Liz, is it possible they were having this adventure on the
same day and TIMe we were having our discussion about
"climbing mountains"????
I believe its SYNCHRONICITY again!!!

Amazing!!

Hey Fluffy, glad to hear you are having a wonderful TIMe!!
Watch out for the lightning! Good thing Rew was watching out for you.
I can't imagine your hair catching on fire twice! Miss ya, have a safe trip back home.

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2002 :  8:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just read your adventure again.. I must tell you to be careful riding the go carts with your long hair, and Rew too. That would be really bad if your hair got caught in the axle or on fire from the extremely hot exhaust pipe. Have fun, but be careful!

Can't wait to hear the next chapter in the adventures of Fluffy and Tim Rew!!!

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  4:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
well...adventures an fire go good together! I'm tellin ya! Can't have one withoot the t'other!

Jay
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  4:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a picture I HAVE to see....Rew and Fluffy in go carts!
Funny Funny stuff!

Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  4:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Great story

Glad you didn't get struck by lightning - better to be Fluffy than Crispy.

---------------
Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque

"I heard Tim stopped playing with Dave when he got pregnant"
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  7:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

better to be Fluffy than Crispy.

Good one! LOL!

teri

Go to Top of Page

revrendmaynard14
Chatterbox

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  8:40:53 PM  Show Profile  Send revrendmaynard14 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
LMBO!!!!!

*~Kaleigh~*
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  11:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Having been both, I will definitely take being FLUFFY anyTIMe over being crispy.(no insult intended JAY)

I have been putting this off because of the length but I will try and keep it as short as possible.(HEHE)

Let me start by apologizing for the lack of paragraphs.(HEHE again)

Well we left Denver and headed north for Wyoming so we could cross over into South Dakota for a day of Crazy Horse and The Badlands at sunset. By the way, I never got to do the go carts.(SOOO BUMMED!) Anyway, as we headed up I-25 north we got off at Orin WY and stopped for gas. It was one of the those pay before you pump stations(which I HATE) so I went in to give them the money. The cashier ignored me and everyone else in the store. As I surveyed the situation I realized there was a very ill man who was trying to be helped by a very nervous man who was doing his best. The cashier was on the phone with paramedics and Rew and I sprung into action. We helped escort the man into the bathroom. He was looking very pale and swollen and said he couldn't breath very well and was feeling very nauseous. Everyone was panicking. I located rubber gloves from a storage closet for Rew and Rew began talking and calming the man down. He was very pale and trying to convey details to Rew and I but all I could get were his grandkids were in the pickup out front. So while Rew was babysitting the sick guy, I headed out to see if I could find the kids and see what had happened. I found them and they were very nice and calm(for the situation) as they told me they had been driving and wasp flew into the truck and stung their granddad on the face. He is allergic(Bad news). So he tried to drive the truck as quickly as he could to the gas station and ended up sideswiping a tree or pole. We never really found out for sure. He was in bad shape. After about 10 mins the state police showed up but were at a loss for what to do so they let Rew continue taking care of him and I gave as much of the story to police as we were able to garner. I also introduced the boys to the police and about 5 or 10 mins later the paramedics finally showed up and congratulated us on our handling of the situation. Rew and I got out of their way and headed outside and while were outside waiting for them to bring him out a GIANT duststorm hit. It was massive. You could barely see 2 feet in front of your face and the sand was really stinging. Of course this happened at the exact TIMe they were ready to bring him out. And of course which direction was it blowing? That's right, right into the back of the ambulance. Whatta pain. Anyway, after they got him into the ambulance, we jumped in our car and started driving on 18/20 towards South Dakota. After about another 20 minutes the sandstorm finally ended and there were all these things just blowing across the road. It was crazy. Eventually we turned onto 18/85 and noticed beautiful black clouds off in the distance. They were on Rew's side of the car so I couldn't really get any good pictures. We were paying so much attention to the clouds we missed our right turn onto 18. After about a 1/2 a mile I noticed that we might have gone to far and we turned around to head back to our turnoff. As we U-turned the clouds were now on my side so I asked Rew to stop and I took some pictures. At this point there also started to be beautiful lightning off in the distance with the clouds. I jumped out of the car and walked up the embankment for a better view. I got some great pictures as the clouds came closer and closer. Rew realized this looked like the beginning of a BIG tornado so we thought we should move on. We headed back up to our now left turn onto 18. There was a rest area there at the intersection so we pulled in to watch a little more and see if I could get some pictures of the lovely lightning. It seemed to moving very fast. closer and closer. So we decided we should see if we could find our something on the radio. We didn't find anything but as we were looking a car with all these antennas and video cameras mounted on the dash pulled into the rest area. Stormchasers! We knew they would know what was going on and what we were looking at. Rew went over and talked to him and while I continued to try and get pictures. We told him we couldn't find anything on the radio about it and he told us it was because he hadn't called it in yet. He told us he had been following it for a while and said it was a supercell that was probably going to turn into a tornado very soon. As we sat there watching it with him it passed right over our heads. It was the most beautiful thing to watch. I had never seen clouds move so fast overhead. They were breathing and undulating and swirling. It was so beautiful. We weren't to worried because the stormchaser was still sitting there with us. As it passed over us he said he needed to drive up the road to watch it more. He told us which direction was the safest to travel and luckily it was the direction we were headed in. So we drove up 18 watching this amazing swirling mass of clouds off to our left. We stopped a couple of more TIMes for me to try and get more pictures. We ended up passing the stormchaser 3 more TIMes and after the 3rd TIMe it started to get very dark and the rain started. We were very close to our turnoff to 89 which would take us right into Custer SD where we were gonna stay for the nite. As we neared the turnoff to 89, the rain got heavier and heavier and we were trying to outdrive it. Quickly it turned to pebble size hail and then eventually baseball size hail and not Rew and I were freaking. The hail was slamming into the car and we thought for sure it was gonna break the windshield. It was so loud inside the car as it was slamming into us and Rew was going about 65 mph hoping we could outrun it. As we got to our turnoff for 89 we could see that that would put us right in the heart of it and we decided to continue forward on 18 to the next town to look for shelter for the car. We managed to finally outdrive the hail and we were trying to warn all the cars going the opposite direction to stop or turn around. Nobody listened. So we got to Hot Springs SD which was 12 miles up the road. We found the only gas station in town, which was closed, and got the car under their awning for shelter and waited. About 10 mins later, the hail caught up with us. It lasted for about 40 mins and all these other cars were coming back and trying to squeeze under the awning with us. We were lucky we were there first. Finally it stopped and we decided to head back to 89 and on to Custer. We got to Custer at about 9pm and checked into our usual hotel and surveyed the damage to the car. It was FUCKED!! The cars hood and roof no longer even bore the appearance of flat. There were literally hundereds of BIG dents everywhere. We were so lucky it never broke any windows. Cut to next day, still raining. Which would make for a lousy TIMe at Crazy Horse. So we decide to get a bite to eat and shop a little and hope the weather breaks. It doesn't, it gets worse. We stopped and had some buffalo steaks and I also had some buffalo chili. It was one of the best steaks I had ever eaten. We decided to venture on and take our chances at Crazy Horse. As we drove thru the Black Hills it was amazing. Low clouds and all. We finally got to Crazy Horse and decided we were gonna make the best of it. I am so glad we did. WE ended up spending all day there which did not leave us any TIMe to make it to the Badlands by sunset. We got to Wall SD right after the sun went down. We stopped in Wall Drug and did a little shopping and then got gas and decided to just start heading for DC. It rained and stormed all the way thru Indiana. It got so bad at TIMes we had to pull off because you could not see the cars in front of you even with their lites on. Rew was feeling the stress, but he is the consumate professional. We ended up getting back to DC in just under 30 hours. Which means we didn't get the rental car back in TIMe and had to pay for an extra day. When they saw the car they flipped. They wanted to know what had happened to it and we had to fill out an accident report and they put a BIG "NO" sign in the front window of the car. Luckily we had taken out the insurance so we didn't have to worry about ALL the damage. They drove the car away and Rew and I headed for my house in my car. Rew realized he had left his Fear Factory CD in the rental car CD player so I headed back so he could retrieve it. When we got there they helped us find the car and Rew went to extract his CD. NOTHING! The car was dead, no power, not even enuf to eject the CD from the player. They tried to start it and it was dead, just like up on Mt Evans. They had to get another car to jump it so they could start it and get the CD out. They did and we got the CD and left the rental car place knowing that now they could not argue that the car had died up on the MT, because now the car was dead in their lot. What a piece of crap. Rew and I were thankful for all the experiences we had because it really turned our return trip into quite and adventure and how ofter to you get to witness a tornado first hand from underneath it and see all the wild weather occurances we witnessed. It was truly amazing and we were truly blessed.(no matter how scared we were when it was happening)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  11:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow!! It sounds like it was never a dull moment Fluffy. So glad you and Rew are back safe and sound. It would be very kewl to see the pics that go with the adventure!

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  11:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thats just krazy all over fluff. i hope to see some of those pictures of the storm. we had a big lightning storm here last last thrusday, i tried to get some on tape but didnt get any thing good. but hope to see yours soon.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2002 :  12:30:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Waaaay too lazy to read that right now... I'll get to it tomorrow. Glad you're back though.
-J

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2002 :  12:52:10 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Silky, I believe you have some opinions about Wall, SD, don't you?

-what-
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2002 :  01:11:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Indeed I do...

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2002 :  11:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just got some pebble-sized hail the otehr day. It was crazy, and i tohught it was BIG hail! Well, for Hard-on, Ohio, it is. I saved some, as i do whenever it hails.

Jay
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  1:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Fluffy and Rew..... I think you guys missed your calling to be nurses. Sounds like you got the stuff that it takes! That is so awesome you helped the old man out. It sounds like he was in anaphylactic shock which is life threatening without emergency meds. Actually it's fatal in most without treatment. You guys deserve a big hug for that one!!! I hope the old fellow is ok now and he should carry an emergency bee sting kit with epinephrine in case it ever happpens again.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  3:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Rew deserves the big Kudos, he hung with the guy while he vomited and shat himself. I just hung with the kids and ran messages back and forth from Rew to the phone and from the paramedics on the phone back to Rew. Rew was taking pulses and talking to the guy trying to calm him down and getting him to tell him if there were any changes in the way he felt. It really was like an emergency room situation with out all the sterile facilities and a doctor. HEHE Our biggest asset to the situation was our ability to remain calm. We have alot of experience with that. It really helps a volatile situation.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  3:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You guys are great! Please pass on to Tim Rew he gets a gold star! You get a nice purple one Fluffy!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2002 :  10:54:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanx, but I already got a nice purple one. I will pass on the gold star to Rew. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  12:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Interestingly enough, I forgot to mention my travails on my trip back from California, didn't I.

I'll have to do that sometime. Not as good as Sir Fluffy's, but interesting to me, nonetheless.

-what-
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  04:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes you did, share share share! Come on Jason, share with the class.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  5:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As always Fluff, your stories are off the charts and really make my life seem dull! Its amazing all the things you guys encounter!

Jason, definately tell us TELL US TELL US.. C'mon PLEEEEASSEEEE!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  06:22:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what adventures this upcoming tour has in store for us. I was just rereading this and boy! I almost can't believe all that stuff happened to us in less than a couple of days. It's always exciting.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  11:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn Fluffy you are just one exciting fellow!

Agent Fluffy. Danger is his milddle name.

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  4:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh my! Fluffy, you have commited acts of treason against this message board in the the form of the dreaded........(eerie music)......DOUBLE POST!!! Duh duh.....duuuuuhhhhh!!!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  7:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I am on the computer at work and am not quite so adept at working this silly old-school mouse. Sometimes you click and it takes so long to do anything you end up clicking again thinking it hasn't registered. Sorry for the board faux paux!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  8:08:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am a secret agent by the way. The names Fluffy, Agent Double D'oh Seven. I have had many arch nemesises in my career, Dr D'oh being the worst. There was also D'ohfinger and OcD'ohpussy just to name a few others. I also had many adventures that were made into many movies. For instance:

1)Thund'ohball
2)View d'oh a Kill
3)The Spy d'oh Loved Me
4)To Live and Let D'oh
5)From Russia With D'oh
6)Man With a Gold'ohn Gun
7)Moonraked'oh
8)For Your Eyes D'ohnly
9)Gold'ohnEye
10)Tommorrow Never D'ohs
11)The World is D'oh Enough
12)D'ohmonds Are Forever(I wanted to call it Doughnuts Are Forever MMM)
13)You D'ohnly Live Twice
14)License D'oh Kill
15)The Living D'ohlights
and last but not least
16)Never Say D'oh Again

I think it was Sheena Easton who had a hit with a Fluff007 theme song called "Nobody D'ohs It Better"

Alot of this came from a great post whoring session by me and pcbdmb way back when. It has some really funny, silly stuff in it. I highly recommend checking it out:
http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1185

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  11:00:14 AM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow! haha I totally wasnt here for this. Its kinda like that whenever I go up to Mt. Evans. Its always snowing or raining. Last time I was there the park rangers kicked everyone off the mountain because lighning struck the mountain summit 5 times in 10 min! I still love that place though. If you go up there in the morning (8 o'clock mountain TIMe) its breath taking. or if you watch the sun rise from there it is amazing. Too bad about Red Rocks. Thats another amazing place to see the sun rise. There are about 200+ people there (most hippies smoking and playin Hand Drums) and it is an amazing experience. where does Kyle live? cause where you were describing (rodezios and Blockbuster) is very close to where I live and my old school (damn that school). Next TIMe youre in Colorado I highley reccoment watching the sunrise out of Red Rocks and then Eat breakfast at a place called the Morrison Inn (my favorite resturant in the world). I have been to that Go Cart place. I believe it moved out to the Springs though. I went to that place probably 5 TIMes. I love that Red Rocks area. There is some of the best scenery and rock climbing in and around Morrison. Its great! I probably spend a few days up there a month. I was last up there (at the ampitheater)was for hockey dry land practice. we had to run Stairs!!!!!! that sucked majorly, but I still love that place. Its great cause you can just walk in, no charge, and chill there all day (unless there's a concert) well... nevermind. we were there last week and we got to watch R.E.M.'s crew set up and they didnt kick us out till 1:00(sound check) and we saw Michael Steip. it was cool. ya so deffinitly hit that Morrison area next time youre there.
PEACE
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2003 :  11:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mason lives in an area I think is called Aurora. He lives off of S. Havana. The go-cart track I saw appears to be indoor and is next I-70. I also saw one on I-25 by a hotel that looks like a castle. I will have to try and check out Morrison Inn. It was a beautiful sunset we were seeing when the storm hit on Mt Evans. LOL It really was beautiful and all in all I would love to go again. Maybe next TIMe with more outdoorsy type folks. LOL

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2003 :  3:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes good ole Aurora. number 1 good thing about that place is that I know the Cheif of Poliece (Mr. Bennett) cause his son is on my hockey team. One kid on my team got pulled over going 30 over (I think he was goin 100 on a 70) and it got lowered to a seatbelt violation with no points on his license (it would have been 3 or 4 I think). Number 2 is thats where my Rockin school is located. Its a fun place
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000