Slide Technique
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2002 :  11:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have any good advice on slide techniques? I'm fairly new using it so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2002 :  11:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You go from fret A to fret B...I dunno....

Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2002 :  08:15:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well what can i say, get a slide then...
1. when using a slide do not push it all the way down to the fretboard like you do your fingers, you just let it barely touch the strings, to see if you're doing it right strum the strings and move the slide around, if you get a steady smooth slide your doing it right, if you hear noise every time you cross over a fret your pushing to far down.
#2 in order to make a note, the slide must be Directly OVER the fret, not behind it like your fingers play. Directly over it is the only way.
#3 You'll notice if you pluck a note and move your slide, you get all the other strings ringing unintentionaly, ugly sound. you must use a method to mute the string your not using when play slide, if your playing the high strings you can palm the top. You're best bet is if your fingerpicking, you rest every finger on IT's string, and only pluck what you want leaving your other fingers resting on thier string. alot of slide players use open tunings, i would recommend playing in Open E to get started, tune your guitar to...
6=E
5=B
4=E
3=G#
2=B
1=E
Hope that helps a little, send questions if needed.

Go to Top of Page

chatterballs
Chatterbox

117 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  04:04:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tip:
Whatever finger you have your slide on, use the finger behind it to mute the strings, no unintentional ringing of string, still get the sound out of your string.

That, and learn the intro and verse parts to Freebird. They're easy and sound totally awesome. Lynyrd Skynyrd forever!

--------------------
I once saw a movie where this bus had to keep its SPEED above 50 and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode...I think it was called, the bus that couldn't slow down.
Go to Top of Page

j
Chatterbox

149 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  02:00:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit j's Homepage  Send j an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think the most important thing to keep in mind technically speaking would be to make sure that you keep at least one finger on your fretting hand behind the slide. In other words, if you have a slide on your pinky finger, by keeping the other three fingers behind the slide and on the string you are playing, you will mute any ringing or sloppy tone. When you're using a slide, the string vibrates not only in front of the slide but also behind it. Some blues players don't mute the strings and harness that sloppy tone to get more of a dirty, gritty sound with an open tuning.

Stylistically speaking, I think one of the most important ideas is to think of slide playing as singing. Since you can use larger intervals you can slightly more vocal and harmonious instead of sounding like you're trapped in a pentatonic prison. This is similar to how alot of sitar players think about the instrument; you can be very expressive with the easiness of large intervals. You can play like somebody like Whiney Houston sings--with range. It's interesting how closely slide can be related to sitar technique (e.g. George Harrison)

"Have a moderately neato day. May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
-G.C.
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2002 :  09:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the freshness of your strings come into play as well. make sure there are nice and new. i personally like metal slides but glass ones are cool too? anyone use those really small ones?

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2002 :  3:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My friend had a glass one.....and it seemed pretty kewl.....but he was anal so I couldn't use the slide.....one of these days I'm gonna buy one of my own........how much would a standard one cost?

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2002 :  3:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
eight bucks or so, Sam Ash has a nice selection of slides, and most of them are under 15 bucks. I'm getting into lapslide guitar, so i ahve to buy a solid slide and an extension nut, altogether aboot 30 bucks. A nice bottleneck slide will cost you anywhere from five to twenty-five bucks. THe one Tim uses was probably ten bucks at the most.

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

CheersDtoT
Try A Little Harder

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2002 :  4:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

When playing a slide somtimes it sounds better if you play on the fret bar ( it depends on your guitar ) I have a D35 like Tim and his same slide and basicly it's alot easier to improv and make people think you know how to play slide . When your playing slide make sure your sliding down or up to the note you are playing because it just sounds like shit if you don't ! If you want to get some freeky ass Tim sounds play the slide up around the opening of the guitar . Also when playing on the neck or playing on the opening it's better to keep switching strings instead of just staying on one string the whole time . It sounds better and it looks better . People will think you are a sexualy icon if you can play slide . Ohh for a really tight sound play really fast ( like Tim ) and play up at the opening and just improv their for a while . When playing push down hard and and then lift off fast and add in a down or up slide and it sounds really cool . But it's really hard to try and exsplain it . The easiest way to learn how to play the slide is make up your own style and your own rules . So I have shared my thoughts .... take it easy !
Cheers - Greg

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
Go to Top of Page

CheersDtoT
Try A Little Harder

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2002 :  4:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

One more thing when playing lapslide guitar make sure you have some banjo finger picks .... you can play it with out them but the sound isn't as good and with the picks you can make more sounds ! But just playing slide while holding your guitar just use a pick !
Cheers - Greg

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
Go to Top of Page

CheersDtoT
Try A Little Harder

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2002 :  4:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Also when your using slides you don't have to have the best , it's all about how you use it . You don't even need a slide , my brother when he performs uses a cig lighter . It sounds just fine . I'm telling you this because the best guitar slide won't make you a good slide guitarist !
Cheers - Greg

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  12:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very good advice Greg! I've been playing lapslide for a while now, and the fingerpicks feel all clunky on my fingers, so i prefer not to use them. Kelly Joe Phelps, probably the best lapslide player, doesn't use them, and he sounds clear, all his notes are sharp enough......but of course...he his TIM'S right hand man in whatever God-Land they both came from, because i do considder them GODS, of course of course of course.

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

j
Chatterbox

149 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  5:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit j's Homepage  Send j an AOL message  Reply with Quote
as far as slide playing goes, Jerry Douglass is the best

"Have a moderately neato day. May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
-G.C.
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  9:09:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
bottleneck?

Jay
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  12:41:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
speaking if pedal steal/ lapslide guitars have you heard opf robert randolph? hes so amazing. hes from near me in jersey and he recently opened up for dave matthews. I got to see them in phili and we had vip passes so we sat like 10 feet from the stage. I got to meet carters parent and stuff which was cool. But randolph stole the show, he was incredible!!

check him out on kazaa.com or something!

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  01:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I noticed that KJP has and played for some time a Leo Kottke Signature series 12 string. I've gotta respect anyone that's brave enough to try to play Leo's own guitar.

-what-
Go to Top of Page

neonbuzzz
Is Anybody Here?

6 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  1:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Send neonbuzzz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
kelly joe phelps is the best..hands down..the best lap-slide guitarist. he plays a mean guitar period. i recommend downloading any of his stuff...it's amazing. even his song writing is good..wierd.but good.

rain fell today..in transparent sheets of love..but i will not be drenched in you again.
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  12:05:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My favourite KJP songs on lapslide are Lead Me On, Hard Time Killing Foor Blues, Black Crow Keeps Flying, and House Carpenter. For standard guitar I like Gold Tooth, Don Quixote's Windmill ( any Kottke Fan will love that one, very similar) Katy, Beggar's Oil, and Prodigal Son. I love all of his stuff. I even met him once! If you want to see the pic, send me an e-mail...

Jason, here is a site with a RealAudio clip of Don Quixote's Windmill played on the LK12. I have the entire show form Bremen, Germany, where this was recorded, so if you ever want to trade....
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/riverratjimmy/pages/downloads.htm
Go to Real Audio and then click on the song name...it's the only one there so it won't be hard to find!

Jay
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  12:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
even his song writing is good..wierd.but good.

Damn straight! He's been playing guitar for 30 years, and hs only been writing lyrics for ten. He's an awesome songwriter. In terms of improv., he's right up there with Tim.
It's pretty tough to write story songs period, for any writer, but hell, just look at Katy or Clementine. One thing that is missing from a lot of lyricists today is that they jsut some right up fornt and tell you what's going on. KJP makes you think a bit...which is very good. Every song he has is very well written...see my sig!

Jay
Go to Top of Page

j
Chatterbox

149 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2002 :  12:48:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit j's Homepage  Send j an AOL message  Reply with Quote
if any of y'all are interested in Jerry Douglass, check out the song We Hide and Seek. His solo on that song is pretty damn strong. He's one of those guys who makes you want to play Dobro when you hear him. He plays quite a bit, especially with Bela Fleck, Sam Bush and that crowd. He has a new solo album coming out I think.

-G.C.
Go to Top of Page

ngetal
Is Anybody Here?

Canada
46 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  01:52:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit ngetal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
forgive me if im wrong,but i didnt see anyone mention ben harper as a slide player. i like songs like 'ground on down' ive seen a live show where he played he lapsteel,funky stuff!!

ring modulators go ''zing zang zow''
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  12:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I like Ben Harper, but I'm jsut more into country-blues. Don't get me wrong, he's a great slide player, I just like KJP better. I do love those Wessenborns or whatever he plays.

Jay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000