Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  2:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.rollingstone.com/features/coverstory/featuregen.asp?pid=1917

I'm not too happy with this list, specifically Dave Gilmour and Neil Young down in the 80s.
Sorry if this has been posted already, I haven't been on the board for a while.

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  6:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't play guitar, so my opinion doesn't count for much, but I agree that it's a pretty crappy list.
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  7:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ike fucking Turner is on the list. Wow.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  9:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To steal the old smiley from Xar...

Blech.

Pete Townshend is like 50? That's fucking bullshit. Man, I hate Rolling Stone.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  11:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that whole list is stupid, the guy from the white stripes is number 12...of ALL TIME!! WTF??

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  02:20:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana

quote:
that whole list is stupid, the guy from the white stripes is number 12...of ALL TIME!! WTF??

what?

i agree the list sux, its just a list of the best guitar players people have heard of and will recognize.

and no offense to kurt, but he wasnt that good of a guitar player.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  03:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree, nothing to impressive.

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  10:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Jude

12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana

quote:

what?

i agree the list sux, its just a list of the best guitar players people have heard of and will recognize.

my apologies, number 17 was the guy from white stripes...which is still messed up that according to that list, jack white is better than:

bo diddley
robert fripp
frank zappa
les paul
john mclaughlin
dickie betts
steve howe
trey anastasio
derek trucks
and many more!!

also, robert randolph is on the list...when did he start playing guitar!?!? HE DOESN't!! he plays pedal steel, but he's on the list!

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  10:51:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha, i just sent a letter to rolling stone online, here it is..

"Your recent listing of the "100 greatest guitarist" is easily the worst display of ignorance of music that I have ever read. It's a shoddy list that makes no coherence sense, where you have the occasional guitar player on the right spot, and then you have someone like Jack White on your list as being greater than Zappa, or steve howe, or robert fripp, or derek trucks, or JOJN MCLAUGHLIN. How can you put some no talent guitarist in a one hit wonder band in front of people who have been playing music for over 40 years(Les Paul)! Chet Adkins wasn't even on your list!! I could go on for hours about all the jazz/blues guitarists you didn't mention, like django or robert johnson, the people who started it all. To top it off you put a good musician like robert randolph on your list, who doesn't play guitar!!! He plays pedal steel, hardly a similar instrument to a guitar, and yet there he is. Your magazine is worthless, and your opinions are merely reflections on your horrivle staff, editors, and mis-understanding on where REAL music lies. You should be ashamed of yourself of holding so much influence in the music industry, while at the same time not knowing a damn thing about music!"

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  11:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHAHA EXCELLENT!!!!!! Right on Matt!!!!!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  2:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
THATS TRUE! Chet Atkins isnt on there..... i didnt even realize that.

he should be in the top 10 for sure. he had an influence on everything to do with music in america, one way or another.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  3:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
neil young can't play guitar. period. he doesn't belong there at all. neither does curt cobain.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  02:37:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
People I noticed not on the list
TIM!
Michael Hedges ( My all time fave )
Danny Heines
Billy McLaughlin
Phil Keaggy
Stanley Jordan
Dexter Brank
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai

ugh, I'm sure I and all of you could go on forever. Hell, I would go as far as to say that some of us on the board are better guitarists than 1/3 of that list. Most of those guys got their chops recognized by their songwriting or singing abilities ( or that of somebody else in their band). It had nothin to do with their musical creativity or groundbreaking guitar work. Jack White. Kurt Cobain. Give me a break.

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  03:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The one that REALLY cracked me up was Joan Jett. Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore Joan Jett, BUT Best Guitarist? Come on!!! It makes absolutely no sense that Joan makes that list and TR is nowhere to be found along with alot of other actual BRILLIANT guitarists. I someTIMes feel those Rolling Stone lists are more popularity contests(like the Grammys)than actually having anything to do with a TRue representation of the answer to a question. I also feel that they try to fit as wide a variety a players in there to appeal to a larger(albiet ignorant)audience to sell more magazines and show how they didn't forsake certain sexes, ethninticities, etc etc. I could name plenty of female guitar players who are WORLDS better than Joan Jett. Does Joan know more than 3 chords? I am not sure she does, BUT I love her music, BUT she definitely DOES NOT belong on that list. Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong! Just my 2 cents!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  03:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jemez, one of my all time idols, and one of the most amazing guitar players I've ever seen is also not on there: Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac).

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  9:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok...I know for a fact some of the players on this board are WAYYYY Way better than Jack White and Kurt Cobain. I mean come on, since when were powerchords the deffinition of a GREAT guitar player?
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  11:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomasode

Ok...I know for a fact some of the players on this board are WAYYYY Way better than Jack White and Kurt Cobain. I mean come on, since when were powerchords the deffinition of a GREAT guitar player?

and then some punk ass teenage guitarist will say "oh man, it's all about how they defined the genre, and are singer/songwriter's, and they innovated rhythm guitar, etc.."

BULLSHIT TO THOSE THINKERS!

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  02:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think alot of jazz greats aren't on there because it's Rolling Stone, and I think they consider themselves more rock/metal savvy. Which they aren't, obviously, they are the periodical equivilant to MTV.

Let us know if the morons write you back VFW, I'm interested in what they might have to say.

Robots are the enemy? Hmm...
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  09:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, i hear that about jazz guitarists...but they put john mclaughlin on the list, which really threw me, cause he's good, and does the jazz/fusion stuff.

i guess that was their attempt at covering the genre of jazz-rock fusion.

Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  7:00:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this list is made up of the most popular guitarists and not the best even though there are some good ones. I like stevie ray vaughn and all but number 7. All he really played was the blues. And I didn't see metheny on the list what's up with that? And kurt Cobain at twelve Please. Not based on talent. I've always thought they should change the magizine name to writing stoned. Idiots!

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  7:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flaming Moe anyone?

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  10:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Di Meola either... Read an interesting interview about him the other day, and he doesn't seem to like the music industry's lack of interest in his fellow virtuosos either. Check it out: http://www.innerviews.org/inner/dimeola.html
Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  11:37:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pat Metheny.

Elliot Fisk!!!!

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  12:06:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JTR

No Di Meola either... Read an interesting interview about him the other day, and he doesn't seem to like the music industry's lack of interest in his fellow virtuosos either. Check it out: http://www.innerviews.org/inner/dimeola.html

thanks for the article, i personally like listening to al, but lots of people i've talked to just down him for being all chops, which i think is untrue... would you down bb king because he plays slow all the time as opposed to fast? al plays fast a lot, but still he contrasts it with ideas, just like any great slower guitarist would in blues, or a jazzer, or whatever.

speed doesn't equal good or bad, it's just part of a person's sound.

Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  2:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if these guys have ever heard of joe pass?

Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
1043 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  8:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Since when has being a good guitarist had anything to do about popularity? It just seems as though they took the popular guitarists of the past 50 or so years and made a list of them. I think that ENTIRE list is a bunch of shit.

But, so is rolling stone, so it should have been expected. Then again, I'm overly opinionated

Music is dead
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  10:04:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what i find stupid is that Django Reinhardt is mentioned by the editors once. by far he is the greatest, could be disputed by opinions. but seriously there are many reasons why he is. but on every artists top 10 list he is up there. weird right?
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  2:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
wasn't he missing fingers?

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  09:52:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
django couldn't use one of his fingers, it was there, but it was unuseable due to some sort of accident or disease or something. don't know the specifics...

Too bad shawn lane wasn't on that list...RIP

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  3:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Argh! No Kottke...He is, in my mind, the best acoustic guitarist ever. TR is the best guitar player period, but Kottke holds on acoustic. And KJP. And that dude from String Cheese Incident. But of course, this is nothing but a popularity contest...Oh, and Neil Young CAN play guitar, and a lot better than Jack White. He has a very unique style, even though he's not even close to being top 10, maybe not even top 20, he certainly doesn't deserve being in the 80's for sure. One thing I like about Neil is that he doesn't play fastall the time...in fact, he hardly EVER plays fast...he plays for more of an effect than for showmanship...Many of these star players only play fast for applause. I would rather hear a heartfelt, slow, background solo rather than an upfront, loud, fast, and un-inspired solo...even if it sounds great, and has extreme technical ability, there isn't any "feeling" to it. Neil has a lot of feeling...and a lot of sideburn.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  4:44:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lyle Lovett deserves to be on that list, probably in the 70s. He's got a great finger picking style. Does some really interesting songs.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

mingmacia
Is Anybody Here?

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  02:07:58 AM  Show Profile  Send mingmacia an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone heard the album of Di Meola, Mclaughlin, and De Lucia called fri night in San Francisco? That is good Guitar. Rolling stones MAg is a popularity contest Not a guide to guitarists.

"and you fell down the stairs on Purpose". HD

In the future, packages will be sent to distant worlds through beams of light. HD
Go to Top of Page

captain_napkins
Is Anybody Here?

31 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  10:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys just nailed everything I was going to say about Kurt Cobain. He was real good at playing power chords, but then so am I. So where am I on the list, Rolling Stone?

Tim and Dave both probably deserve to be on there.

And, uh...who am I thinking of? Err...Hendrix.

STK
Go to Top of Page

LoveToday
Chatterbox

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  08:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think by the pic at the top of the page, it is evident that Hendrix is #1. Did anyone else get that? I am blonde you know.... it could be me.

I childproof my home... and they still get in!
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  1:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think by the pic at the top of the page, it is evident that Hendrix is #1. Did anyone else get that? I am blonde you know.... it could be me.

indeed he is.

no number next to him but he is at the top and the list stops at 2, so thats what i figured as well.

Go to Top of Page

krystal
Try A Little Harder

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  09:48:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jay, I'm with you about Leo. I couldn't agree more.
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  09:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They forgot Nigel...

Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque an Alien Abductee!
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  2:03:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! Nigel Tufnel! I've got his action figure sitting in my room. Man I love Spinal Tap!

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Wanderguard
Is Anybody Here?

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  4:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was angry beyond words when I read this list. Jimi Hendrix being number 1 is understandable, but what really got me is the fatc that Randy Rhoads wasn't in the top ten, or at the very least, the top twenty. And on top of that, no Steve Vai.

And don't get me wrong, I love the White Stripes, but Jack White #17? That pisses me off.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  7:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
jimi hendrix being #1 is not understandable.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

AGirlNamedPsycho
Try A Little Harder

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  4:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit AGirlNamedPsycho's Homepage  Send AGirlNamedPsycho an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I honestly think music magazines roll Top 100 Lists so that they can sell them to the guys who go "Well okay, let's see how bad they fucked up THIS time." I hope someone somewhere literally wipes their butt with RS. I won't do it, because that paper fucking hurts, but I really hope somebody's into that sort of thing.
Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  11:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
HAHHAHAah psycho that made me happy. Mass media is a bitch.

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000